d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Non Christian Opinions On Jesus
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4.77
Feb 13 2019 08:07pm
Most Muslims and at least a few Jews believe Jesus was canonized in Abrahamism as a "Good prophet."
If you believe Jesus was a good prophet;
are you conceding that he fulfilled prophesy exclusively,
or that His prophecy was tested and reasonably God's Providence came to pass?

If you believe the latter, why.

I am under the impression that most Muslims percieve Jesus as Christians would John the Baptist. Jesus made the conditions necessary for Muhammed to arrive, or something to that effect.
But does that constitute a prophet?

I am also aware that the Muslim and Jewish apocalypse Words are aligned, and Jesus repeated those, while elaborated Christian Revelations diverge significantly and leave it on "either but not lukewarm."

Mostly curious about how Christians, Muslims and Jews can agree on Jesus in union against the "Jesus didnt exist" atheists.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 13 2019 08:09pm
Jesus as is recorded in the bible likely didnt exist in the same way our stories of Robin Hood dont really record Robin Hood.

A guy whos stories got amped up and written down.
Gold: 28,296.01
Feb 13 2019 08:13pm
as a long haired hippie in sandals myself I'd never hate on him but in reality it's hard for me to believe the legend as it's been told although I appreciate the general message from a non christian point of view

Probably a pioneer baby goat yoga guru that did well with the ladies and knew how to sell a story
Feb 13 2019 08:26pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 13 Feb 2019 21:09)
Jesus as is recorded in the bible likely didnt exist in the same way our stories of Robin Hood dont really record Robin Hood.

A guy whos stories got amped up and written down.

150ad Justin Martyr in his First Apology, wrote to Ceasar regarding denouncing false Christians, compatibility with Roman paganism, and ending Christain persecution. Part of denouncing Christians, he states there had been many impostors feigning to be Christ. I don't doubt what you said is Truth, save for the doubting existence Jesus or Robin. Those stories, even as fiction literature, describe human condition so profoundly we keep telling themm because we identify with the characters as folk.

Why do you doubt Robin Hood's existence so exactly tho?

This post was edited by MaliceMizer on Feb 13 2019 08:27pm
Feb 13 2019 08:30pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Feb 13 2019 07:26pm)
150ad Justin Martyr in his First Apology, wrote to Ceasar regarding denouncing false Christians, compatibility with Roman paganism, and ending Christain persecution. Part of denouncing Christians, he states there had been many impostors feigning to be Christ. I don't doubt what you said is Truth, save for the doubting existence Jesus or Robin. Those stories, even as fiction literature, describe human condition so profoundly we keep telling them, because we identify with the characters as folk.

Robin Hood was like the dread pirate roberts

multiple men same legend

It's like the stories in Big Fish. A little truth a lot of fantasy and characters that live on forever through imagination and camp fire tales.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 13 2019 08:36pm
i think it's safe to assume he really existed. as far as i understand the documentary i saw about him, he was a terrorist freedom fighter resisting the roman occupation of judea. he was mistaken for a prophet, but really only ever wanted to be left alone. he accidentally performed the miracle of the juniper bush in the desert and gained a huge following, but his teachings of individualism personal responsibility were widely misunderstood. so as far as prophets go he probably was objectively a "bad" one. so that's my vote...
Feb 13 2019 08:59pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 13 Feb 2019 21:30)
Robin Hood was like the dread pirate roberts

multiple men same legend

It's like the stories in Big Fish. A little truth a lot of fantasy and characters that live on forever through imagination and camp fire tales.

Let's say I concede a legendary status. Can enough imposters make up a body of Christ to satisfy his footprint?

What if one were to perform exactly (or better) as the legend under your surveillance, and attributed the spectacle to that former existence?

If you were born 2000 years from now, how doubtful of Hitler's existence do you think you would be?

This post was edited by MaliceMizer on Feb 13 2019 09:03pm
Feb 13 2019 09:01pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Feb 13 2019 07:59pm)
Let's say I concede a legendary status. Can enough imposters make up a body of Christ to satisfy his footprint?

What if one were to perform exactly (or better) as the legend under your servalence, and attributed the spectacle to that former existence?

If you were born 2000 years from now, how doubtful of Hitler's existence do you think you would be?

I'm pretty sure Russell Brand has been trying to take over for the last few years

at least it looks like that's the case in the thumbnails in my youtube feed, but I don't watch the videos
Gold: 260.11
Feb 13 2019 10:38pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Feb 13 2019 08:26pm)
150ad Justin Martyr in his First Apology, wrote to Ceasar regarding denouncing false Christians, compatibility with Roman paganism, and ending Christain persecution. Part of denouncing Christians, he states there had been many impostors feigning to be Christ. I don't doubt what you said is Truth, save for the doubting existence Jesus or Robin. Those stories, even as fiction literature, describe human condition so profoundly we keep telling themm because we identify with the characters as folk.

Robin Hood as we describe him in stories was a real person, it's just that the reality is so divorced from the stories that it's hard to even say they are the same person.

I think the same happened with Jesus. He was likely a much more mundane person, if a real person at all, that got exaggerated over decades of oral tradition.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 13 2019 11:27pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 14 Feb 2019 04:38)
Robin Hood as we describe him in stories was a real person, it's just that the reality is so divorced from the stories that it's hard to even say they are the same person.

I think the same happened with Jesus. He was likely a much more mundane person, if a real person at all, that got exaggerated over decades of oral tradition.

Ooh - my area of study. We don't view Robin Hood as a genuine historical figure because his legend has been told, changed and retold over the centuries. In addition there just is no figure we can attribute all of the Robin Hood stories to. He is a folk myth likely born from an amalgamation of various folk stories and legends, some based on real people and some not.

If you want to learn more about Robin Hood I fully recommend this video featuring one of my Professors giving an overview of the Robin Hood mythology from a historical perspective.

https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/in-search-of-the-medieval-outlaw-the-tales-of-robin-hood

I do actually agree very much with Thor's assessment of the Jesus mythos as being similar to that of Robin Hood. I don't think there is enough evidence for a historical Jesus and I do think it's likely the figure we know from the bible was cobbled together from various legends. Of course we cannot know for sure... but the evidence is not there to support a claim of Jesus Christ being a single historical actor.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll