d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Green New Deal
Prev115161718Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Feb 15 2019 08:50pm
Meanwhile northern Canada has companies begging people to come at 775 to 1, 000 per day.
Gold: 1.93
Feb 15 2019 08:55pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 16 2019 12:58pm)
What needs to be reformed is the for-profit health care system we have. You break down some of these charges and realize that you're paying out the nose for nothing. IMO healthcare workers salaries are inflated. Why are nurses making 60+k a year? My ex with an associates degree and 2 years experience was making $35/hour base with regularly scheduled OT.

Look at a similarly wealthy nation like the UK a nurse there makes 23k pounds. How is a 2x nurse salary justified for the States?

Nurses earn every cent.
Gold: 7,371.00
Feb 15 2019 09:05pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 15 2019 07:50pm)
Meanwhile northern Canada has companies begging people to come at 775 to 1, 000 per day.

>Edmonton this time of year

I remember being able to transfer to Alaska for a job starting at 80 grand and the same job at the same gov't agency in my city was like 35k. Can't imagine surviving in a town of 3000 people with vast majority natives with avg temp of -20 in winter and having to pay like 8 dollars for a head of romaine lettuce
Gold: 260.11
Feb 15 2019 09:09pm
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 15 2019 08:42pm)
MD coworkers paying 2k a month on college lol.

I might find a D.O. program myself.

Most D.O. programs are private so if you want to go cheaper you would be better served to apply to a state-funded M.D. school where you will get in-state tuition and a better chance at being accepted.

Still, with your background in social work even if you don't have great grades any D.O. program would put you straight to the front of their admissions process. The idea of a "holistic application" is kind of a joke on the M.D. side, but they try to create doctors that can go into research whereas D.O. schools generally don't care about physicians in research positions. So it's just a different admissions process serving different priorities

Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 15 2019 08:40pm)
Education prices definitely contribute. It's a domino effect, one industry that essentially has a monopoly can inflate prices and then subsequent industries are affected. Higher school prices lead to graduates who want higher compensation which leads to businesses having to charge more and so on.

I think another issue is the level of insurance that has come to be expected in the US, and partially caused by too much regulation. There are infinite levels of insurance for pretty much everything in the US that inflate costs. A doctor can't just practice, he needs malpractice insurance, insurance for the building, insurance for expensive equipment and on and on. That's why can't entirely blame the health care professionals for charging what they do.

I remember when I first came to the US and heard of cases of people slipping in front of your house and you being liable for injuries because maybe the snow wasn't shovelled or something like that. I was like lol u srs? Security which is what insurance is comes at a cost, and personally I think we are paying a little to much and need to learn to live with a little less security.

All these insurances aren't new to the system. What is new is the level of hospital administration.

When I worked as a phlebotomist the level of administration from me to the hospital CEO went something like

Me
My Manager
My "Boss" who ran the phlebotomy department
The Lab Manager
The "Lab Services" Manager
One more above this the title of which I can't remember
The Chief Physician of the hospital
The CEO of the hospital
The Regional CEO
And finally the actual CEO of the system.

(These probably aren't the exact titles, but the number of levels is accurate)

Absolutely insane....

The worst part was somebody 4 levels above my boss told us we had to do whatever this consulting company said. She was literally having us do our morning draws in the most inefficient possible way.
Our boss, prior to this, told us to unload on her our complaints about the system after the second day, so I gave a 5 minute derivation on a whiteboard about how this was literally the most inefficient way you could possibly design the system.

Long story short, hospital management is an absolute clusterfuck and they don't have any clue how to make healthcare processes efficient in terms of time or cost, but they will keep appointing and hiring people to do just that.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 15 2019 09:11pm
Gold: 49,142.00
Feb 15 2019 09:15pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 15 2019 08:09pm)
Most D.O. programs are private so if you want to go cheaper you would be better served to apply to a state-funded M.D. school where you will get in-state tuition and a better chance at being accepted.

Still, with your background in social work even if you don't have great grades any D.O. program would put you straight to the front of their admissions process. The idea of a "holistic application" is kind of a joke on the M.D. side, but they try to create doctors that can go into research whereas D.O. schools generally don't care about physicians in research positions. So it's just a different admissions process serving different priorities

All these insurances aren't new to the system. What is new is the level of hospital administration.

When I worked as a phlebotomist the level of administration from me to the hospital CEO went something like

Me
My Manager
My "Boss" who ran the phlebotomy department
The Lab Manager
The "Lab Services" Manager
One more above this the title of which I can't remember
The Chief Physician of the hospital
The CEO of the hospital
The Regional CEO
And finally the actual CEO of the system.

(These probably aren't the exact titles, but the number of levels is accurate)

Absolutely insane....

The worst part was somebody 4 levels above my boss told us we had to do whatever this consulting company said. She was literally having us do our morning draws in the most inefficient possible way.
Our boss, prior to this, told us to unload on her our complaints about the system after the second day, so I gave a 5 minute derivation on a whiteboard about how this was literally the most inefficient way you could possibly design the system.

Long story short, hospital management is an absolute clusterfuck and they don't have any clue how to make healthcare processes efficient in terms of time or cost, but they will keep appointing and hiring people to do just that.

but what about your vault hold

Quote (Skinned @ Feb 15 2019 07:42pm)
MD coworkers paying 2k a month on college lol.

I might find a D.O. program myself.

do yourself a favor and go MD if you can muster the time to take a kaplan MCAT course

cheaper, more consistent education across the board, and better residency prospects. 99% of bone wizards arent at DO schools by choice

e; also I would like to add that I think doctor's should make more if anything, especially in primary care. Physician's salaries have been steadily declining for a while now due to insurance companies becoming harder and harder on reimbursement. So much so that the small primary care office will probably be gone in a decade.

e2; (to skinned) dont do carribean though, they're about to get pwned

This post was edited by ssdrmstre on Feb 15 2019 09:22pm
Feb 15 2019 09:22pm
Quote (ssdrmstre @ Feb 15 2019 09:15pm)
but what about your vault hold

do yourself a favor and go MD if you can muster the time to take a kaplan MCAT course

cheaper, more consistent education across the board, and better residency prospects. 99% of bone wizards arent at DO schools by choice

Vault hold?

Just depends what you want to do.

If you want to do anything research related or highly competitive, then go M.D.

But if you aren't shooting for the stars and just want to do primary care then D.O. is an easier path and generally more accepting of non-traditional students.

I turned down a few M.D. interviews when I got into my D.O. school, but it's one of the few that you won't get shit for attending and I'm not looking to be a radio-neuro-pediatric surgeon.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 15 2019 09:23pm
Gold: 1.00
Feb 15 2019 09:29pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 15 2019 11:05pm)
>Edmonton this time of year

I remember being able to transfer to Alaska for a job starting at 80 grand and the same job at the same gov't agency in my city was like 35k. Can't imagine surviving in a town of 3000 people with vast majority natives with avg temp of -20 in winter and having to pay like 8 dollars for a head of romaine lettuce

I'm talking more remote than that but yes you deal with those things. Up to -68C. Populations range 300 to 1800 depending on the community. Work will pay for food, housing and travel.

If you have a spouse who's willing to do two years like that and you're both earning 200k you can secure your retirement by mid 20s.

I have no regrets.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 15 2019 09:42pm
Gold: 285.00
Feb 15 2019 09:46pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 15 2019 10:22pm)
Vault hold?

Just depends what you want to do.

If you want to do anything research related or highly competitive, then go M.D.

But if you aren't shooting for the stars and just want to do primary care then D.O. is an easier path and generally more accepting of non-traditional students.

I turned down a few M.D. interviews when I got into my D.O. school, but it's one of the few that you won't get shit for attending and I'm not looking to be a radio-neuro-pediatric surgeon.

I'm nontraditional which is why I'm thinking DO. My GPA up through grad school is like 3.85+ so my grades are pretty great.

Wife just told me I should do it and I've never considered it until now.
Feb 15 2019 09:49pm
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 15 2019 09:46pm)
I'm nontraditional which is why I'm thinking DO. My GPA up through grad school is like 3.85+ so my grades are pretty great.

Wife just told me I should do it and I've never considered it until now.

So far my only suggestions are

make sure you fit graduate biochemistry somewhere in your schedule since it makes physiology much easier to comprehend, and for the love of god take an anatomy class because going in with no anatomy of any kind has royally fucked me.
Gold: 285.00
Feb 15 2019 09:50pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 15 2019 10:49pm)
So far my only suggestions are

make sure you fit graduate biochemistry somewhere in your schedule since it makes physiology much easier to comprehend, and for the love of god take an anatomy class because going in with no anatomy of any kind has royally fucked me.

How much worse is that than organic chemistry?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev115161718Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll