d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Cold Engine In Winter
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Trader: Trusted
Feb 3 2019 10:15am
Quote (FNSFox @ Feb 3 2019 02:17am)
My 5.0 does this too. With an mt82 and a short throw shifter.
Transmission fluid also needs time to warm up, and unlike the engine, it won’t get warm by idoling. It has to warm up from the driveshaft spinning and gears engaged (while driving) so just go easy on it until it gets warmed up.

One thing I do when it grinds if it’s cold out, instead of forcing the shifter into the gear, pull it back to the “edge” of the gear, and let it slide it on its own. If you try to do this slowly, you’ll feel where the transmission grabs the shifter from neutral to the gear you’re going to. Going slow allows the synchros to get up to speed and thus - no grind. Typically a thicker trans fluid helps cold weather grinding issues.

I got the A6 in the C7.
I put it in manual auto 1st or 2nd gear usually, according to the forums it helps.
Gold: 17.00
Feb 4 2019 04:09pm
How it works is. if its very cold like 20 degrees even IF you let the car idle for 10 mins that oil still isn't to operating temperature it will only get to operating temperature by driving it. Long story short even if you let it warm up for forever before driving you still have to go easy on it.

Oil rating is this way a 0w30 is thinner when cold as oppossed to a 5w30 etc etc

First number is the cold viscosity second number is the operating temp viscosity you could run 0w30 in winter 5w30 in summer

I do a 5-10 min idle warm up when its real cold than drive it easy for 5 or so mins till its full op temp.

This post was edited by Historic on Feb 4 2019 04:17pm
Gold: 167.80
Feb 4 2019 05:04pm
According to car manufactures and mechanic engineers is bad to warm your car up in the winter. Now I'm gonna listen to 10 people on a Diablo 2 website tell me how they know more because they built a car and think they are mechanics. :rofl:

https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/driving/why-you-shouldnt-idle-car-in-cold/
Gold: 17.00
Feb 4 2019 07:36pm
That article is terrible the only thing that i can see that makes sense is that it cost money. yeah in cold conditions the computer commands a richer fuel trim. Boom.

Piston dmg from idling? dafuq? says idle will dmg your pistons but what part of them? but not the compression or oil ring? if your pistons or engine is getting damaged from idling due to lack of lubrication what the fuck do you thinks gonna happen when you floor it?.

Police cars idle all the time for horus their whole entire lives. and it can wear the camshaft out but thats an extremely high amount of idling

5 mins of idling is too much and will damage your engine that's laughable.

actually in many cars theres expansion issues especially with short skirt pistons where they clatter away until they warm up.

furthermore things like timing chain tensioners they benifit from geting warm and expanding a little bit. the warmth from a 5 min idle is still healthier for your engine as the timing chain wont have to get stretched out as the oil pump thats driven off it isnt pumping thicker oil.

in shortt the article is shit...

This post was edited by Historic on Feb 4 2019 07:43pm
Gold: 166.00
Feb 4 2019 07:41pm
Quote (Historic @ Feb 4 2019 07:36pm)
That article is terrible the only thing that i can see that makes sense is that it cost money. yeah in cold conditions the computer commands a richer fuel trim. Boom.

Piston dmg from idling? dafuq? says idle will dmg your pistons but not the compression or oiling ring? if you piston or engine is getting dmg from idling due to lack of lubrication what the fuck do you thinks gonna happen when you floor it?.

Police cars idle all the time for horus their whole entire lives.

actually in many cars theres expansion issues especially with short skirt pistons where they clatter away until they warm up.

in shortt he article is shit...

The police don't know shit, hence why I can buy a car they fucking beat to hell for 600 on eBay

And with another 10k I can outrun their million dollar fleet
Gold: 167.80
Feb 6 2019 04:35pm
Quote (Historic @ Feb 4 2019 08:36pm)

Piston dmg from idling? dafuq? says idle will dmg your pistons but what part of them? but not the compression or oil ring? if your pistons or engine is getting damaged from idling due to lack of lubrication what the fuck do you thinks gonna happen when you floor it?.

Police cars idle all the time for horus their whole entire lives. and it can wear the camshaft out but thats an extremely high amount of idling

furthermore things like timing chain tensioners they benifit from geting warm and expanding a little bit. the warmth from a 5 min idle is still healthier for your engine as the timing chain wont have to get stretched out as the oil pump thats driven off it isnt pumping thicker oil.

in shortt the article is shit...

Let me guess, you build a 1992 Honda Civic in your garage so now you know more than the engineers who build them and the manufactures that create the cars? Here's two other sources...

"Plus, excessive idling can damage your engine’s components, including spark plugs, cylinders and exhaust systems."
"Idling leaves fuel residues that can condense on cylinder walls, where they contaminate oil and damage engine components such as spark plugs. When spark plugs are fouled, fuel consumption increases by 4 to 5 percent."

Ever hear people selling cars is all highway miles? 'Cause idling is bad. You don't want to idle. If you're gonna idle for long periods of time, turn the car off. But please tell me with all your engineering degrees and credibility how you know more and everybody else is wrong?
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll