d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Cold Engine In Winter
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 166.00
Jan 28 2019 11:59am
Quote (KoJ @ Jan 28 2019 09:20am)
to the left or to the right?

cuz in my day ive done a bit of both :wallbash:

Right, then left, makes a cool noise if you go left fast enough
Gold: 0.00
Jan 28 2019 12:43pm
dont know if true,
but have heard if it has a carb it helps to warm it up.
otherwise good to go
Gold: 0.00
Jan 29 2019 08:51pm
-15 to -35 during winter here , been doing start and go for 10 years now , never had an issue.
Gold: 5,486.00
Jan 30 2019 02:25am
I have remote start, not so much worried about the car's motor on a cold start, its just nice when the fucker's warm and defrosted by the time I get outside
Gold: 1,250.00
Jan 31 2019 08:36pm
Quote (Cjarvis @ Jan 28 2019 02:43pm)
dont know if true,
but have heard if it has a carb it helps to warm it up.
otherwise good to go

Ya that's for sure carb cars are cold blooded. Even older EFI cars can be 80-90's models
Gold: 0.69
Feb 1 2019 10:00am
Depends on your oil.
If you are running a lighter weight I’d say no real need to let it run for more than a minute
If it’s heavy then yeah let run for a few minutes before revving up too high.
It will save your lifters
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Trader: Trusted
Feb 2 2019 10:43pm
I warm my car up at least 10 minutes and even then the trans stutters going 1st to 2nd. If it is already warmed up or just warm outside, I don't have an issue. So winter I do for the trans?
Gold: 3.21
Feb 3 2019 12:11am
Quote (hunter_1 @ Feb 1 2019 11:00am)
Depends on your oil.
If you are running a lighter weight I’d say no real need to let it run for more than a minute
If it’s heavy then yeah let run for a few minutes before revving up too high.
It will save your lifters

This.

People that say newer cars don’t need to warm up are idiots. Unless it’s a Tesla, an internal combustion engine is at risk of failure when running if oil is not sufficiently warm. All of the metal components inside the motor are under extreme pressure the moment it starts, and the oil is what prevents them from bending, breaking, or exploding out the side of the block. If the oil is too cold, it won’t do it’s job. Hence keeping it at idol and not driving it until it’s had a few mins, especially if it’s <50 degrees outside.

Also : even when it’s warm outside, give your car a couple minutes to warm up for the same reason. Will add xxxx miles of life to your engine, believe it or not.

Gold: 3.21
Feb 3 2019 12:17am
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Feb 2 2019 11:43pm)
I warm my car up at least 10 minutes and even then the trans stutters going 1st to 2nd. If it is already warmed up or just warm outside, I don't have an issue. So winter I do for the trans?

My 5.0 does this too. With an mt82 and a short throw shifter.
Transmission fluid also needs time to warm up, and unlike the engine, it won’t get warm by idoling. It has to warm up from the driveshaft spinning and gears engaged (while driving) so just go easy on it until it gets warmed up.

One thing I do when it grinds if it’s cold out, instead of forcing the shifter into the gear, pull it back to the “edge” of the gear, and let it slide it on its own. If you try to do this slowly, you’ll feel where the transmission grabs the shifter from neutral to the gear you’re going to. Going slow allows the synchros to get up to speed and thus - no grind. Typically a thicker trans fluid helps cold weather grinding issues.
Gold: 167.80
Feb 3 2019 09:46am
Quote (FNSFox @ Feb 3 2019 01:17am)
My 5.0 does this too. With an mt82 and a short throw shifter.
Transmission fluid also needs time to warm up, and unlike the engine, it won’t get warm by idoling. It has to warm up from the driveshaft spinning and gears engaged (while driving) so just go easy on it until it gets warmed up.

One thing I do when it grinds if it’s cold out, instead of forcing the shifter into the gear, pull it back to the “edge” of the gear, and let it slide it on its own. If you try to do this slowly, you’ll feel where the transmission grabs the shifter from neutral to the gear you’re going to. Going slow allows the synchros to get up to speed and thus - no grind. Typically a thicker trans fluid helps cold weather grinding issues.

That's not necessarily true at all. Different vehicles are built different ways. Some flow in park. Some flow in neutral. You'll have to know the design of your car to be sure the best way to "warm it up". But that's in cold environments. Unless you're going long periods of time without driving, the oil is still coated in your engine and doesn't require a "warm up" under most circumstances. Having an engine with a carburetor can certainly be an exception. Extremely cold environments. This isn't the 60s though. If it's cold out, give it a minute or two and go. No need to wait 'til it's up to normal operating temperatures.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll