d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Shenandoah Backpacking Trip
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 847.98
Jan 4 2019 10:23am
Me and my friend wanna celebrate our recent Fall graduation & want to spend a few days in West Virginia in Shenandoah.

I'm very experienced in backwood camping & he's still learning; so the equipment isn't any concern...
But, I am having trouble with making a specific plan for where to arrive and how to find ourselves a campsite.

I've never camped here and am new to the Appalachian Trail. Anyone have suggestions or have camped near/on the AT?

I'm willing to throw some fg around to help get answers from experienced backpacking campers.

The nps.gov is also saying that the campgrounds are closed but "visitors may still enter the park on foot for hiking or backcountry camping even when the Skyline Drive is closed" - So I'm just unsure as to where I'd enter the trail and how far to go before it's right for me to set up a camp

fyi: 3 day trip (2 nights)

This post was edited by TinyRick on Jan 4 2019 10:30am
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Jan 4 2019 01:56pm
Haha pickle riiiiick
Gold: 0.00
Jan 18 2019 07:31pm
are you looking to cover miles or set a base day 1 and spend the next 3 days exploring the area?

ive hiked through this section a few times they are great but definitely be prepared for winter conditions this time of year
Gold: 847.98
Jan 18 2019 10:01pm
Quote (known954 @ Jan 18 2019 09:31pm)
are you looking to cover miles or set a base day 1 and spend the next 3 days exploring the area?

ive hiked through this section a few times they are great but definitely be prepared for winter conditions this time of year

I was thinking of a single camp stop and just exploring. I was hoping I could find some hints on whereabouts a good place would be to do that. Somewhere near some soothing rapids and maybe a nice mountain lpeak to hike
Gold: 40.64
Jan 23 2019 01:14pm
I watch a backpacker on YouTube named Sintax77. He typically does hammock backpacking and hes done several trips on the Appalachian trail. Hes pretty down to earth and good about sharing information. You might find something useful in his videos.

Channel search for 'Appalachian'. https://www.youtube.com/user/sintax77/search?query=Appalachian
Channel search for 'Shenandoah' https://www.youtube.com/user/sintax77/search?query=Shenandoah

I have no affiliation with him. I just like his videos. I do backpacking but never been in that area.

This post was edited by NatureNames on Jan 23 2019 01:31pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll