d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Sous Vide Thread
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Dec 26 2018 01:06pm
I'm thinking the first thing I'm going to make is a nice thick Ribeye steak, cooked in Sous Vide and seared in butter after.

Other ideas?
Gold: 22,202.22
Dec 26 2018 09:12pm
shoes
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Dec 29 2018 04:39am
You can cook literally anything in a SV. I use it alot at work especially for the veggie main dish ingredient, as well as ofcourse all meat except burgers.

Key thing is when cooking meat apart from chicken ofc to keep it at 50 degrees C.
Gold: 15,951.00
Jan 13 2019 08:21pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 26 2018 03:06pm)
I'm thinking the first thing I'm going to make is a nice thick Ribeye steak, cooked in Sous Vide and seared in butter after.

Other ideas?

I would add a bit of canola oil to that butter because butter has a very low smoke point and the canola oil would help it from burning also I would add a clove of garlic and thyme to infuse the oil and continuously spoon the hot oil butter mixture over the steak as it sears
Gold: 6,675.00
Jan 15 2019 12:57am
Quote (Pureawesomeness @ Jan 13 2019 09:21pm)
I would add a bit of canola oil to that butter because butter has a very low smoke point and the canola oil would help it from burning also I would add a clove of garlic and thyme to infuse the oil and continuously spoon the hot oil butter mixture over the steak as it sears

Canola oil has a fairly low smoke point as well actually!

Instead, microwave the butter till it melts. Let it separate, and then pour off the clear "clarified" butter, discarding the milk solids left behind. This clarified butter has a much higher smoke point (higher than Canola) and way better flavor. It'll help you develop a great crust when you sear that steak on super hot cast iron.
Jan 15 2019 01:02am
Quote (Khrushchev @ Jan 15 2019 02:57am)
Canola oil has a fairly low smoke point as well actually!

Instead, microwave the butter till it melts. Let it separate, and then pour off the clear "clarified" butter, discarding the milk solids left behind. This clarified butter has a much higher smoke point (higher than Canola) and way better flavor. It'll help you develop a great crust when you sear that steak on super hot cast iron.

incorrect your clarified butter will burn so fast in a cast iron pan try it lol
Gold: 6,675.00
Jan 15 2019 01:27am
Quote (Pureawesomeness @ Jan 15 2019 02:02am)
incorrect your clarified butter will burn so fast in a cast iron pan try it lol

I work in fine dining at restaurants that serve steaks that are $100-150+ a piece. Clarified butter is used extensively because of its flavor and higher smoke point. The smoke point of Clarified Butter (or Ghee) is at 482 degrees. Canola Oil is around 400. This is part of why deep frying is often done in Peanut Oil (~450) or other high temp oils instead of canola. Canola is still great for plenty of applications, and you can certainly use it with a steak, but butter is much better and adds tons of flavor. Additionally, the process of cooking butter brings out some very pleasant nutty flavors and help with the development of a good crust. I'm actually a sommelier / wine expert, but I am well versed in bovine myology and cooking as well, in addition to being exposed to it on a regular basis at the highest level. They use 1500 degree broilers to do the trick!

Google it! :D Any fat by itself will smoke on a screaming hot cast iron pan, you get a good sear with no fat on the pan, then you add the clarified butter onto each side after each flip and it helps with the development of the crust as the surface reacts to having been heated violently
Jan 15 2019 07:02am
Quote (Khrushchev @ Jan 15 2019 03:27am)
I work in fine dining at restaurants that serve steaks that are $100-150+ a piece. Clarified butter is used extensively because of its flavor and higher smoke point. The smoke point of Clarified Butter (or Ghee) is at 482 degrees. Canola Oil is around 400. This is part of why deep frying is often done in Peanut Oil (~450) or other high temp oils instead of canola. Canola is still great for plenty of applications, and you can certainly use it with a steak, but butter is much better and adds tons of flavor. Additionally, the process of cooking butter brings out some very pleasant nutty flavors and help with the development of a good crust. I'm actually a sommelier / wine expert, but I am well versed in bovine myology and cooking as well, in addition to being exposed to it on a regular basis at the highest level. They use 1500 degree broilers to do the trick!

Google it! :D Any fat by itself will smoke on a screaming hot cast iron pan, you get a good sear with no fat on the pan, then you add the clarified butter onto each side after each flip and it helps with the development of the crust as the surface reacts to having been heated violently

Yes and there is no need to sear at 500 degrees especially when adding garlic and thyme to spoon over your steak as your herbs will burn
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 23 2019 08:25pm
You can Sous Vide anything and like 95% of the time (if you do it right) it comes out exactly as you intended.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 23 2019 08:45pm
Quote (Culinary @ Jan 23 2019 08:25pm)
You can Sous Vide anything and like 95% of the time (if you do it right) it comes out exactly as you intended.

I'm realizing this.

Made sous vide mashed potatoes. Creamiest I've ever had.

However by far the best thing has been pork. Usually I'm bad at cooking pork all the way through, but with this its basically impossible to over cook it and I can sear the f*$# out of it without worrying about it being under done.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll