d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Jumpers Knee > 6months Of Suffering
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 24,272.01
Dec 21 2018 06:47am
Been struggling with jumpers knee for a while now. I’m doing eccentric training daily, stretching and taking a break from squats. No change. Anyone else here with experience?

Before you suggest anti-inflammatory as most people do; this is not an injury that has anything to do with inflammation.

The patellar tendon is damaged and need repairing (hence why eccentric training is the study-based solution).

If anyone had any other tips, I’m all ears! I’ve heard IT-band stretching and foam-rolling helps, but haven’t got to try that out.

Sincerely, everyday’s upper body day :cry:
Gold: 361.00
Dec 21 2018 07:44am
I’m just trying to wonder why ur sig line of ‘don’t click’ links to my prfkfile, u little shit?
Dec 21 2018 07:52am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Dec 21 2018 01:44pm)
I’m just trying to wonder why ur sig line of ‘don’t click’ links to my prfkfile, u little shit?

Why are you clicking, beta? :rofl:
Gold: 15,461.01
Dec 21 2018 05:41pm
Stretching and rolling IT band targets the IT band syndrome, not pattelar tendon. Pattelar tendon inserts in your tibialis, goes through patella and goes out as rectus femoris, one head of the quad, and inerts In your hip. Target the quad, make sure they are not tight so they’re not pulling the patella upwards and causing more inflammation. Google pattelar tendon rehab. Sorry for the english.
Dec 22 2018 11:57am
Quote (LoQ @ Dec 21 2018 11:41pm)
Stretching and rolling IT band targets the IT band syndrome, not pattelar tendon. Pattelar tendon inserts in your tibialis, goes through patella and goes out as rectus femoris, one head of the quad, and inerts In your hip. Target the quad, make sure they are not tight so they’re not pulling the patella upwards and causing more inflammation. Google pattelar tendon rehab. Sorry for the english.

It does indeed! Reason I'm asking is that 1) I've tried what's generally recommended for patellar tendinopathy (without sufficient results) - 2) I've seen people have success with doing obscure methods (such as IT-band foaming). Makes sense? not necessarily, but I'm all ears for secondary methods. Also, IT band, while not directly connected to the patella-tendon, does have an impact on over-all knee health/stability. So one could argue that, even if not the sole cause, any 'malfunctions' in the IT band could be (at least) a contributing factor to a dysfunctional knee, and therefor might be 'worth a shot' in the treatment of patella tendinopathy. In essence; foaming it can't hurt and it only 'might' help - so it might be worth a shot.

Also, in regards to one of your final sentences; "causing 'more' inflammation" - it's important to know that the jumper's knee has been reclassified. It's no longer a tendinitis (inflammation) but tendinopathy (a tendon injury -> not an inflammation). Which is why NSAID's no longer recommended in the treatment of jumper's knee. Sure, it is possible to have jumper's knee/patellar tendinopathy whilst also having an inflammation - but then we're speaking of two problems. In my case, I only have jumper's knee (a damaged tendon) with no active inflammation.

I will for sure up my foam/stretching game on my quads, though. I'm painfully aware that I've been slacking on that end. But after months of avid foaming / stretching / eccentric training - I've had zero progress, so my motivation kind of slipped. Hence why I'm looking for further 'tips' from you guys.

Thanks for your insight, and sorry for the late response. Been at work, so I only had the capacity to bump some topics during break(s). :hug:
Gold: 10,057.12
Warn: 50%
Dec 22 2018 06:59pm
Suffering oh God
U dont know what suffering is. Poor baby cant do squats for a few months. Aw u think u gonna make it? Take that word out of your vocabulary
Gold: 0.01
Dec 22 2018 09:00pm
Maybe your too aggressive with your eccentric training? Try keeping the pain <2/10. Sumo's target more of the quads. Also give your muscles time to recover, don't train daily, maybe 3 times a week? Try exercises such as hip hinges or sumo dead lifts with very light weight, or other painfree ways to move.
Gold: 15,461.01
Dec 23 2018 11:21am
Quote (Galera88 @ Dec 22 2018 07:57pm)
It does indeed! Reason I'm asking is that 1) I've tried what's generally recommended for patellar tendinopathy (without sufficient results) - 2) I've seen people have success with doing obscure methods (such as IT-band foaming). Makes sense? not necessarily, but I'm all ears for secondary methods. Also, IT band, while not directly connected to the patella-tendon, does have an impact on over-all knee health/stability. So one could argue that, even if not the sole cause, any 'malfunctions' in the IT band could be (at least) a contributing factor to a dysfunctional knee, and therefor might be 'worth a shot' in the treatment of patella tendinopathy. In essence; foaming it can't hurt and it only 'might' help - so it might be worth a shot.

Also, in regards to one of your final sentences; "causing 'more' inflammation" - it's important to know that the jumper's knee has been reclassified. It's no longer a tendinitis (inflammation) but tendinopathy (a tendon injury -> not an inflammation). Which is why NSAID's no longer recommended in the treatment of jumper's knee. Sure, it is possible to have jumper's knee/patellar tendinopathy whilst also having an inflammation - but then we're speaking of two problems. In my case, I only have jumper's knee (a damaged tendon) with no active inflammation.

I will for sure up my foam/stretching game on my quads, though. I'm painfully aware that I've been slacking on that end. But after months of avid foaming / stretching / eccentric training - I've had zero progress, so my motivation kind of slipped. Hence why I'm looking for further 'tips' from you guys.

Thanks for your insight, and sorry for the late response. Been at work, so I only had the capacity to bump some topics during break(s). :hug:

Without discussing inflammation, tendinopathy and enthesopathy, since i dont feel like i’m on a solid ground with those in english - jumpers knee may still cause inflammation, from what i’m aware of. Working on IT indeed may cause a feeling of „release” and even actual short term improvement in as you precisely described it „over-all” knee health and stability since it affects lateral side of the knee, but the elasticity of ITB is like 8%? Instead of foamrolling ITB most cases might actually benefit from working with TFL and improving glute medius strength. And yes, IT band malfunction might and probably will affect knee biomechanics, but one can argue about the point of rolling it directly. If it hurts it works right?
Gold: 361.00
Dec 23 2018 09:42pm
Hate leads to suffering
Gold: 6.66
Dec 24 2018 04:47am
Quote (Galera88 @ Dec 21 2018 02:47pm)
Been struggling with jumpers knee for a while now. I’m doing eccentric training daily, stretching and taking a break from squats. No change. Anyone else here with experience?

Before you suggest anti-inflammatory as most people do; this is not an injury that has anything to do with inflammation.

The patellar tendon is damaged and need repairing (hence why eccentric training is the study-based solution).

If anyone had any other tips, I’m all ears! I’ve heard IT-band stretching and foam-rolling helps, but haven’t got to try that out.

Sincerely, everyday’s upper body day :cry:

When you have tissue damage, you have inflammation. It's what mediates the pain, hence the suggestions for using NSAIDs. Jumper's knee is also known as patellar tendonitis, which directly refers to inflammation.

Physiotherapy and rest are really what you need. Icing can help. And of course pausing activities that provoke the pain until it's gone. I'm not an expert on the benefits of eccentric exercises, but if it targets the quadriceps i would think it can aggravate the condition.

It's indeed good to train every other muscle that doesn't provoke the pain and isn't connected to the patellar tendon. Daily training can also be a reason behind your prolonged pain, you need to have days where you do nothing with the knee. Overuse injuries are really annoying, it's good to remember it took months/weeks to build it up, and it will take weeks/months to heal. I forgot to mention patience on the list of things that help. Best of luck! :)

This post was edited by Neptunus on Dec 24 2018 04:51am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll