d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Unfortunate Bible Passages
Prev167891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 14 2018 10:27am

Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 14 2018 10:20am)
Definitions arent false or true. You're just being silly now.

Also, the definition if Christian doesnt usually include if they doubt, but the bible containing Gods moral code is a belief held by almost every christian ive ever interacted with, thus the need for apologetics to reconcile it with modern times.

what am i to say but something silly? i laid out a pretty obvious trail that im claiming most Christians dont adhere to the definition in practice, and you brought it back to the definition. i dont like circular conversations.

Quote (IceMage @ Dec 14 2018 10:20am)
If I experienced doubt I wouldn't be afraid to tell you.

Well, I agree with you that most Christians probably experience doubt at times, but I don't believe the majority fall into your skeptical camp.

I think it's hard to be a liberal Christian with a rock solid faith.

if my post read that most Christians are as skeptical as me, that was bad phrasing. i simply meant that most Christians experience constant doubt, and further that most of the precanned atheist arguments ignore that in favor of strawmans of Christians as blind and constant believers for faith's own sake. i realize im the far end of the spectrum in terms of skepticism, but think im much closer to normal in terms of doubt because that spectrum is far less wide.
Gold: 5,016.77
Dec 14 2018 10:36am
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2018 11:27am)
if my post read that most Christians are as skeptical as me, that was bad phrasing. i simply meant that most Christians experience constant doubt, and further that most of the precanned atheist arguments ignore that in favor of strawmans of Christians as blind and constant believers for faith's own sake. i realize im the far end of the spectrum in terms of skepticism, but think im much closer to normal in terms of doubt because that spectrum is far less wide.

I don't believe most Christians experience constant doubt. I wonder if anyone has done polls on this though.

Also, I'm thinking Christians in the West experience more doubt than those in Africa, Asia, or Latin America. Our societies have many more skeptics that we have to confront.

This post was edited by IceMage on Dec 14 2018 10:38am
Dec 14 2018 10:39am
Quote (IceMage @ Dec 14 2018 10:36am)
I don't believe most Christians experience constant doubt. I wonder if anyone has done polls on this though.

well i think "constant doubt" is the wrong verbiage. "constant flux" would be more accurate to what i mean.

some flux from 75%-100%, some from 0%-99%, some from 99%-100%. but i find the idea of constant belief far more silly than varying degrees of constant flux.
Gold: 260.11
Dec 14 2018 10:41am
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2018 10:27am)
what am i to say but something silly? i laid out a pretty obvious trail that im claiming most Christians dont adhere to the definition in practice, and you brought it back to the definition. i dont like circular conversations.

I mean, this whole conversation could have just been avoided if you had just spelled out your beliefs in the beginning and acknowledged the context that most Christians believe the bible is the ultimate moral code
Dec 14 2018 10:49am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 14 2018 10:41am)
I mean, this whole conversation could have just been avoided if you had just spelled out your beliefs in the beginning and acknowledged the context that most Christians believe the bible is the ultimate moral code

i have laid these beliefs out perhaps 10 times and gotten the same responses from you, scaly, gotonmyknees, and others. then after the same point in the same conversation time and time again i have icemage, ofthevoid, endless, or another christain say the same thing from the other side.

it's one of those cases where you remember an entire conversation but apparently the person you're talking to doesnt. we've all been there, i have a great memory so it happens alot, with my wife especially.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 14 2018 10:49am
Gold: 2,617.52
Dec 14 2018 10:55am
Quote (Scaly @ Dec 14 2018 11:33am)

I mean the reformation influenced the enlightenment because it exposed the corruption of the church and led people to questioning Catholic doctrine. It was the very argument that catholicism was illogical that pushed forward human understanding of the nature of the world. So that's a poor example and a shit argument. But I expect nothing more from you buddy.

You're not worth responding to but calling 1 church corrupt out of twenty doesn't invalidate the rest of the religion.

How about instead of resorting to pathetic ad hominem you look at Isaac Newton's interpretation of bible scripture?
Gold: 260.11
Dec 14 2018 11:12am
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2018 10:49am)
i have laid these beliefs out perhaps 10 times and gotten the same responses from you, scaly, gotonmyknees, and others. then after the same point in the same conversation time and time again i have icemage, ofthevoid, endless, or another christain say the same thing from the other side.

it's one of those cases where you remember an entire conversation but apparently the person you're talking to doesnt. we've all been there, i have a great memory so it happens alot, with my wife especially.

I rarely read other people's conversations and I'm very confident that you and I haven't had this conversation at least within the last 3 years since youve been "on my radar".
Gold: 0.00
Dec 14 2018 11:13am
Quote (EndlessSky @ 14 Dec 2018 16:55)
You're not worth responding to but calling 1 church corrupt out of twenty doesn't invalidate the rest of the religion.

How about instead of resorting to pathetic ad hominem you look at Isaac Newton's interpretation of bible scripture?

Are you being deliberately dense? The Catholic church at the time of the Reformation was basically the ONLY church in Europe. It's not ad hominem. It was the view of the people at the time and it's what spurred on the Reformation. Do you not know the history of the reformation? As an American Christian, and thus I assume likely of a protestant bent, you should at least have a basic understanding of it.
Dec 14 2018 12:01pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 14 2018 11:12am)
I rarely read other people's conversations and I'm very confident that you and I haven't had this conversation at least within the last 3 years since youve been "on my radar".

You only started to read my posts in late 2015?

Fender, excellence, black, ghot, johnmiller, and other joined during Trump's rise to power, not me. maybe you just have your timeline a bit off.

but if the conversation i remember happened it would have been early in 2015 or earlier, as Trump has basically run the serious religious threads out of this subforum.
Gold: 7,371.00
Dec 14 2018 12:46pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2018 11:01am)
You only started to read my posts in late 2015?

Fender, excellence, black, ghot, johnmiller, and other joined during Trump's rise to power, not me. maybe you just have your timeline a bit off.

but if the conversation i remember happened it would have been early in 2015 or earlier, as Trump has basically run the serious religious threads out of this subforum.

The conversations are fruitless and not worth having. I can sit here and write paragraph after paragraph explaining the context of certain misconstrued passages but at the end of the day what's the point? It's not as if I'm going to change the persons mind by showing them that they have a very basic understanding of the verse and/or context. The purpose of these threads is to simply bash Christianity not have some meaningful discussion.

As far as your point on faith I somewhat I agree. Most believers have ebbs and flows when it comes to faith. Even rock-solid believers become disillusioned and maybe question God at certain points in their life. Oftentimes I lashed out at God when I went through certain hardships, at times I feel like He doesn't care. Being a Christian is a journey and there's a lot of lies that your life will be fine and dandy and no one will get sick, we will all be prosperous, death won't ever come.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll