d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Military Hardware
Prev12
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.69
Jan 21 2019 08:34pm
The military will always have better technology than the public

There’s no way they would release a new product without the military already having something like 10x better

This will always be the best thing I’ve seen in the past few years

This post was edited by hunter_1 on Jan 21 2019 08:36pm
Gold: 40.64
Jan 22 2019 01:45pm
Quote (A30N0fCH405 @ Dec 22 2018 02:21am)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PaTWufUqqU

DARPA did trials with those trying to use them as pack mules for infantry. A major issue with them was how loud they are- giving away your position. They had to be gas powered because the battery powered ones were unpractical for use in the field. They are also expensive. Current models seem to have hit a dead end with the military. Kind of sad Google bought BD it and then sold it to SoftBank Japan. I hope SoftBank doesn't clip the innovative wings of Boston Dynamics and force them to make boring household gadgets.

Quote (hunter_1 @ Jan 21 2019 07:34pm)
The military will always have better technology than the public

There’s no way they would release a new product without the military already having something like 10x better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58MmOpSm4LY

This will always be the best thing I’ve seen in the past few years

Weapon laws aside, a big reason the military has the best is because they spend the most money. There is no profit to be made trying to sell the public a 100m dollar jet.

That electromagnetic railgun tech is certainly cool, but progress sure seems slow to me. It faces a lot of practical challenges that make them difficult to use for real world applications. The military is not giving up yet though. They have recently awarded contracts for new prototypes and are continuing R&D on existing systems.
Gold: 0.69
Jan 22 2019 03:08pm
Quote (NatureNames @ Jan 22 2019 11:45am)
DARPA did trials with those trying to use them as pack mules for infantry. A major issue with them was how loud they are- giving away your position. They had to be gas powered because the battery powered ones were unpractical for use in the field. They are also expensive. Current models seem to have hit a dead end with the military. Kind of sad Google bought BD it and then sold it to SoftBank Japan. I hope SoftBank doesn't clip the innovative wings of Boston Dynamics and force them to make boring household gadgets.

Weapon laws aside, a big reason the military has the best is because they spend the most money. There is no profit to be made trying to sell the public a 100m dollar jet.

That electromagnetic railgun tech is certainly cool, but progress sure seems slow to me. It faces a lot of practical challenges that make them difficult to use for real world applications. The military is not giving up yet though. They have recently awarded contracts for new prototypes and are continuing R&D on existing systems.

Technology
Not weapons

Like faster computers and larger hardrive space and larger ability to process data
Gold: 40.64
Jan 22 2019 03:42pm
Quote (hunter_1 @ Jan 22 2019 02:08pm)
Technology
Not weapons

Like faster computers and larger hardrive space and larger ability to process data

I think it's a money thing. Almost all of that technology is made in the private sector and is rarely a new concept. We have the knowledge to build much more advanced things but nobody is willing to pay for it, not even the military. You can buy a $10,000 CPU if you really want to.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev12
Closed New Topic New Poll