d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Any Other Show Like Lost? > Or Cliffhangers Show
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Oct 20 2018 04:12pm
After watching it I can't enjoy any other tv show. Only anime were able to compete with it but I pretty much watched all the cliffhangers one. Are there any other tv show with lot of cliffhangers? I tried sherlock,breaking bad,westworld,walkingdead,leftovers. Westworld and breaking bad were ok. I also enjoyed seinfeld and Monk but they're not really related to what i'm asking.
Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 20 2018 05:07pm
What is there to like about cliffhangers? They are an extremely bad writing tool only used when you know your story is weak. It's like saying "I know my story/writing isn't strong enough to keep people watching, so I'm going to create some question to keep them coming back instead of crafting an enjoyable story".

Obviously cliff hangers can be used to great effect, but does that do it often (like lost) lose all momentum a well planned cliff hanger could achieve.
Oct 20 2018 05:19pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 20 2018 06:07pm)
What is there to like about cliffhangers? They are an extremely bad writing tool only used when you know your story is weak. It's like saying "I know my story/writing isn't strong enough to keep people watching, so I'm going to create some question to keep them coming back instead of crafting an enjoyable story".

Obviously cliff hangers can be used to great effect, but does that do it often (like lost) lose all momentum a well planned cliff hanger could achieve.

Well all show I enjoyed have cliffhangers, so I guess that's what I like. Besides monk and seinfeld, i didnt enjoy any slice of life
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 20 2018 05:23pm
Quote (Hyperdimension @ Oct 20 2018 04:19pm)
Well all show I enjoyed have cliffhangers, so I guess that's what I like. Besides monk and seinfeld, i didnt enjoy any slice of life

You enjoy cliffhangers that never go anywhere? Yikes....

Just watch any network drama then. Blacklist, Supernatural, Gotham, Blindspot or any of the other equally terrible shows that just never go anywhere, until people stop watching and then they give it one of the worst endings ever. I don't know how anyone still actively chooses to watch these shows as the number of actually good shows continues to rise. FX has done well, AMC has a couple of okayish things, Netflix is following network model of beating shit into the ground, but hey, those should be good for you, and then HBO/Amazon are just killing it right now.
Oct 20 2018 05:26pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 20 2018 06:23pm)
You enjoy cliffhangers that never go anywhere? Yikes....

Just watch any network drama then. Blacklist, Supernatural, Gotham, Blindspot or any of the other equally terrible shows that just never go anywhere, until people stop watching and then they give it one of the worst endings ever. I don't know how anyone still actively chooses to watch these shows as the number of actually good shows continues to rise. FX has done well, AMC has a couple of okayish things, Netflix is following network model of beating shit into the ground, but hey, those should be good for you, and then HBO/Amazon are just killing it right now.

I'll look into blacklist and blindspot. I don't really dig superheroes so no gotham and supernatural feels too slice of life for my taste, but I did watch 2 seasons of it. I think it's funny that you claim this while having a shonen avatar :lol:
Oct 20 2018 05:29pm
Quote (Hyperdimension @ Oct 20 2018 04:26pm)
I'll look into blacklist and blindspot. I don't really dig superheroes so no gotham and supernatural feels too slice of life for my taste, but I did watch 2 seasons of it. I think it's funny that you claim this while having a shonen avatar :lol:

You not understanding the difference between a good writer who takes their time like Togashi and network television isn't at all surprising....
Oct 20 2018 06:33pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 20 2018 06:29pm)
You not understanding the difference between a good writer who takes their time like Togashi and network television isn't at all surprising....

Shonen literally are shows that go nowhere. That mean guy is too strong,mc becomes stronger, repeat until you powercreep too far and keep introducing new characters. I like how you're calling shows terrible like your taste were superior or the absolute truth. You have to understand that different people like different things and my post is just asking for shows similar to my taste.
Oct 20 2018 07:09pm
Apparently you haven't watched HxH... yes, almost every Shonen follows this metric, but you're clueless if you think the writing, direction, or anything for HxH is comparable to your average Shonen. The writer himself admitted how bad he fucked up with his first major show/manga, Yu Yu Hakusho, and that's why he's absolutely refused to create at anyone else's pace. Everything about HxH has been exceptional and each arc has given a satisfying conclusion.

The main difference if you're still not getting it, is that first off, taking a shot at HxH was just a bad fucking idea lol, but if you think an author having his entire story mapped out and then working his way there is the same as Network telvision where they have 2-3 seasons mapped out (if you're lucky), and then they just bullshit their way through it as it gets progressively worse and worse until it's unbearable, you're living in denial. A show that actually has an ending, even if it takes awhile, is going to be 100000x more worthwhile than something that's only goal was to make money off the gullible and easy entertained.

e: I gave you recommendations according to you taste and I am entitled to say your taste is awful. I can't fathom making a conscious decision to seek out shows that you know will inevitably be terrible and leave you feeling unsatisfied... Everyone is entitled to like w/e they want and I'll give recommendations when I can, even if it's an absolutely terrible style of show that's being requested.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Oct 20 2018 07:22pm
Oct 20 2018 07:34pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 20 2018 08:09pm)
Apparently you haven't watched HxH... yes, almost every Shonen follows this metric, but you're clueless if you think the writing, direction, or anything for HxH is comparable to your average Shonen. The writer himself admitted how bad he fucked up with his first major show/manga, Yu Yu Hakusho, and that's why he's absolutely refused to create at anyone else's pace. Everything about HxH has been exceptional and each arc has given a satisfying conclusion.

The main difference if you're still not getting it, is that first off, taking a shot at HxH was just a bad fucking idea lol, but if you think an author having his entire story mapped out and then working his way there is the same as Network telvision where they have 2-3 seasons mapped out (if you're lucky), and then they just bullshit their way through it as it gets progressively worse and worse until it's unbearable, you're living in denial. A show that actually has an ending, even if it takes awhile, is going to be 100000x more worthwhile than something that's only goal was to make money off the gullible and easy entertained.

e: I gave you recommendations according to you taste and I am entitled to say your taste is awful. I can't fathom making a conscious decision to seek out shows that you know will inevitably be terrible and leave you feeling unsatisfied... Everyone is entitled to like w/e they want and I'll give recommendations when I can, even if it's an absolutely terrible style of show that's being requested.

How is hxh different from a show with 2-3 seasons planned? As far as I know, there's not really stuff in the early arcs of hxh that implies the whole story was planned from the beginning... no bullshit in hxh right? "Oh my rubber nen" lol one thing hxh did right though was to not pad the story with useless fillers like the other shonen. But the election and the boat ride are getting pretty boring, hopefully the island gets fun
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Oct 20 2018 07:35pm
House is good

If you think lost is better than westworld and those other shows you listed though... just lol
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll