d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Amazon Hq2
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 18 2018 11:20am
Quote (djman72 @ Oct 18 2018 11:16am)
That's on the cities to decide. How low are we willing to go to ensure we get the business while not hurting ourselves financially. I'm not a fan of the states dropping their pants on the tax side of things, but it's just like a company bidding out a job to a bunch of contractors.

It's the contractor's job to put together the numbers and submit what they can do regarding price decrease vs. profit.. The cities are no different.

Call it what you want, but there are a lot of capitalistic principles in this.

I think bringing up contractors bid out is a terrible comparison (or admittedly the best one). Cities are filled with crony abuses when it comes to that too. it's another good example why people who are elected to manage city budgets shouldnt be allowed to make these kinds of deals. like i said, it's a mockery of representative govt.

cities aren't a market nor are artificially fudged with tax pools from those cities. this is pure cronyism, even if the net result is mutually beneficial. businesses getting so large they can literally demand changes to the tax code is a bad thing, imo. whether it's capitalism is arguable, i suppose, but it seems to be a related conversation to me, rather than a direct example of capitalism. there's too much more tied in

This post was edited by thesnipa on Oct 18 2018 11:21am
Gold: 260.11
Oct 18 2018 11:28am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Oct 18 2018 11:11am)

Government picking winners and losers isn't in line with libertarian values.

Business getting the best tax rate they can is their priority.

Sounds like your issue isnt with amazon then but with the states participating
Gold: 0.00
Oct 18 2018 11:42am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 18 2018 12:28pm)
Business getting the best tax rate they can is their priority.

Sounds like your issue isnt with amazon then but with the states participating

It's both. On the one hand, government doing this kind of shit is at the root of the problem. On the other hand, like Snipa said, businesses getting so big that they can demand changes to the tax code is another problem. Although I'd give greater weight to the government side of the problem.

This situation is very similar to cities throwing hundreds of millions at sports franchise owners to build stadiums.

Hell, this deal is expected to be a $5 billion investment for Amazon, yet municipalities like Montgomery MD are throwing $8.5 Billion at Amazon to draw that $5 billion in. That's $3.5 billion that can't be put to other use (not counting the other $5 billion).

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq2-cities-developers-economic-tax-incentives-2017-10
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 18 2018 11:45am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Oct 18 2018 11:42am)
It's both. On the one hand, government doing this kind of shit is at the root of the problem. On the other hand, like Snipa said, businesses getting so big that they can demand changes to the tax code is another problem. Although I'd give greater weight to the government side of the problem.

This situation is very similar to cities throwing hundreds of millions at sports franchise owners to build stadiums.

Hell, this deal is expected to be a $5 billion investment for Amazon, yet municipalities like Montgomery MD are throwing $8.5 Billion at Amazon to draw that $5 billion in. That's $3.5 billion that can't be put to other use (not counting the other $5 billion).

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq2-cities-developers-economic-tax-incentives-2017-10

this, so so so so so much this. perfect example.

Gold: 260.11
Oct 18 2018 11:47am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Oct 18 2018 11:42am)

I just don't see how you blame Amazon at all under a Libertarian ideology. Isn't it expected that businesses would consolidate power to gain an advantage over other businesses? Isn't it their obligation to use their rights to increase profit?

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Oct 18 2018 11:48am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 18 2018 11:53am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 18 2018 12:47pm)
I just don't see how you blame Amazon at all under a Libertarian ideology. Isn't it expected that businesses would consolidate power to gain an advantage over other businesses? Isn't it their obligation to use their rights to increase profit?

I'm not blaming Amazon under libertarian ideology. I'm blaming government for that.

I blame Amazon for perpetuating this cycle (which isn't necessarily under libertarian ideology, but I don't adhere to a perfect version of that to begin with).
Gold: 18,534.02
Oct 18 2018 12:32pm
This type of conversation is what PaRD should be most of the time (we do need some mockery mixed in).

Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 18 2018 12:20pm)
I think bringing up contractors bid out is a terrible comparison (or admittedly the best one). Cities are filled with crony abuses when it comes to that too. it's another good example why people who are elected to manage city budgets shouldnt be allowed to make these kinds of deals. like i said, it's a mockery of representative govt.

cities aren't a market nor are artificially fudged with tax pools from those cities. this is pure cronyism, even if the net result is mutually beneficial. businesses getting so large they can literally demand changes to the tax code is a bad thing, imo. whether it's capitalism is arguable, i suppose, but it seems to be a related conversation to me, rather than a direct example of capitalism. there's too much more tied in

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The root of the problem is ability of a business to directly alter tax code for their business. Gov't shouldn't do this IMO. I don't blame Amazon for pursuing it, because they are a for profit business. A well crafted deal on HQ2 would be worth its weight in gold. The tax code shouldn't be so malleable to be bent at the whim's of fortune 100 companies.

This post was edited by djman72 on Oct 18 2018 12:32pm
Gold: 1.93
Oct 18 2018 04:36pm
No one even understands the tax code anymore in my country at least, it should be blanked out and rewritten with a much smaller scope and minimal deductions.
Gold: 57.00
Oct 18 2018 04:47pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 18 Oct 2018 18:36)
No one even understands the tax code anymore in my country at least, it should be blanked out and rewritten with a much smaller scope and minimal deductions.

this has nothing to do with your country’s tax code

reported, btw
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 19 2018 05:51pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 18 2018 12:47pm)

What is legal and what is moral are two different things.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll