d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Question About Trap Doors > Please Help
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,648.87
Oct 14 2018 03:58pm
Quote (McDavid @ Oct 14 2018 03:49am)
proof?

proof?

Quote (izParagonzi @ Oct 14 2018 08:56am)
Based off individual Experience points given per monster... not the experience % you see on the bar. An Evil Presence only gives double the amount of actual experience point of a normal monster... note: you have to find the Average gain.

Honestly, I think that some of what you are saying isn’t true, Rex. I think the testing method should work, but shouldn’t produce these results. EPs can definitely result in more than double the experience gain of normal... also from your previous post, consecutive trapdoors add cumulative monster levels, unless of course this was changed very recently.

Paul said in a very old post, around the time that trapdoors were released, that trapdoors add 1 - 5 monster levels each. There was also mention of whistled and explored monsters being able to spawn in group play above player level... however, updates that occurred prior to me starting to play LS, must have changed this somewhat because while the former mechanic I have always found to be true, the latter was quite different in practice from what I originally read. Unless he changed it in the last update, without mentioning it, I have confirmed what McDavid bolded through testing over the last 3 years, I have confirmed both of these using two different methods that both agree, 1) in solo mode over numerous iterations, looking at max possible drop tier without and per trapdoor (this method took me a lot of single trapdoors, and became much harder to figure out with additional trapdoors, but all my testing supported what I found through duo, and 2) in 2 player mode looking at the experience gain from each monster to figure out the monster level, which is only very apparent once the max monsters being spawned are always lower than the passenger in the duo game or you find the last level at which the passenger always gains full experience. 2) is actually very easy to reproduce, so if you’re still unsure, please do this test: start a game at any level, and then have a friend join it 1-2 lvl higher or lower. Give the lower level leader, then whistle and have the lower level kill. The lower level char should get normal experience and the higher level should get severely reduced experience every time, because whistled monsters are always spawned at the whistle level. Now have the lower level drive explore and kill. You will see that sometimes the monsters give the higher level full exp, and sometimes reduced. That is because of the spread of levels spawned by explore above the driver level. Now go down a trapdoor, and have the lower level continue to drive. Assuming your level spread is low, the higher level will probably get full exp from every kill. But now you can figure out the level gain of the trapdoor if you have the higher level go level up in another game and return each time to see what % of monsters give full experience. Once the higher level stops getting full experience from every kill, the level difference between the high level and the low level is one higher than the monster level gain (1-5) of the first trapdoor. To see if consecutive trapdoors are cumulative, find a second one before the catacombs is finished and then repeat the test. Additionally, you can see that whistled monsters are unaffected by the trapdoor by whistling in the trapdoor and watching exp.

This post was edited by BWConformity on Oct 14 2018 04:01pm
Gold: 575.25
Oct 14 2018 07:42pm
at one point mob level was sent in the packet data. I guess checking if it still is would be the best way to confirm this.

looking into this. will post if i find something.

Gold: 76,585.31
Oct 14 2018 07:49pm
Quote (SilentXer0 @ Oct 14 2018 09:42pm)
at one point mob level was sent in the packet data. I guess checking if it still is would be the best way to confirm this.

looking into this. will post if i find something.

Haxor!! :hug:
Gold: 8,589.08
Oct 14 2018 11:58pm
Quote (BWConformity @ Oct 15 2018 10:58am)
Honestly, I think that some of what you are saying isn’t true, Rex. I think the testing method should work, but shouldn’t produce these results. EPs can definitely result in more than double the experience gain of normal... also from your previous post, consecutive trapdoors add cumulative monster levels, unless of course this was changed very recently.

Sorry, did not read the removed part, but, I will tell you how I did my test (keeping a record of each kill):

1. Record your EXACT experience points (not the bar, the character tab)
2. Kill ONE monster go town, check the points received (do this until you get an EP, double check the experience points are the same as when you left it)
3. Kill the EP, go town, check the points received (Now, correspond that amount to previous Normal monster kills)
4. Note: you will notice that the Experience points fluctuate, but, you will find an average after 100-1000 and notice it repeating.
5. Now you compare the results when you fall into a TD and repeat the process, you will in time drop in consecutive TDs, and you will find the same result.

Now, that is how I recorded and tested it, now, you gain more experience points compared to the past, this is noticeable on the XP BAR... you get around 1-2% per Normal Monster, you get around 2-4% per EP, now, you go down 1 TD, you notice that you gain around 2-3% per normal monster, and around 3-5% per EP... now if you fall into another TD within 5 moves, you will notice that you gain 2-3% per Normal monster, and 3-5% per EP, now let us say you fall into another TD within 3 minutes... you will notice that the XP BAR and gain does NOT change.

Now... as for experience gain in consecutive TDs, you don't get any, BUT, the monsters are harder, BUT, they drop higher tier.

End Note: I have tested this in the past, I have also done only 2 days of testing with update and gave up. Hopefully I am wrong, but, when welling, you can gain MORE experience welling your Tier level and maybe 1 tier lower. Try it out for welling... only well TierVIII @ level 25-28 and watch your xp bar, I believe you get up to 8%.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Oct 14 2018 11:59pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 15 2018 04:28am
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great responses. Has been an enjoyable and informative read. If you guys have any other cool tidbits of knowledge to pass along please do! Just getting started in this game, (few months), and finding it enjoyable to learn as much about it as I can.

:thumbsup:
Oct 15 2018 08:05pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Oct 14 2018 07:58pm)
Sorry, did not read the removed part, but, I will tell you how I did my test (keeping a record of each kill):

1. Record your EXACT experience points (not the bar, the character tab)
2. Kill ONE monster go town, check the points received (do this until you get an EP, double check the experience points are the same as when you left it)
3. Kill the EP, go town, check the points received (Now, correspond that amount to previous Normal monster kills)
4. Note: you will notice that the Experience points fluctuate, but, you will find an average after 100-1000 and notice it repeating.
5. Now you compare the results when you fall into a TD and repeat the process, you will in time drop in consecutive TDs, and you will find the same result.

Now, that is how I recorded and tested it, now, you gain more experience points compared to the past, this is noticeable on the XP BAR... you get around 1-2% per Normal Monster, you get around 2-4% per EP, now, you go down 1 TD, you notice that you gain around 2-3% per normal monster, and around 3-5% per EP... now if you fall into another TD within 5 moves, you will notice that you gain 2-3% per Normal monster, and 3-5% per EP, now let us say you fall into another TD within 3 minutes... you will notice that the XP BAR and gain does NOT change.

Now... as for experience gain in consecutive TDs, you don't get any, BUT, the monsters are harder, BUT, they drop higher tier.

End Note: I have tested this in the past, I have also done only 2 days of testing with update and gave up. Hopefully I am wrong, but, when welling, you can gain MORE experience welling your Tier level and maybe 1 tier lower. Try it out for welling... only well TierVIII @ level 25-28 and watch your xp bar, I believe you get up to 8%.

Sorry that I didn't have time to read this until now Rex. I appreciate the time and effort you took to test this, but actually, I think you may be a little confused about monster level increases per trapdoor because you are testing something different from monster level when you are looking at experience gain per kill.

Edit: Actually I reread the part in red and it doesn't really agree with what you wrote earlier about monsters not going up in level with consecutive TDs, but it seems like maybe you can understand it based on the tier of the drops, since max tier of drops is based on monster level.

From my testing, experience gain per kill is drastically higher for monsters at or above the level of the character than it is for monsters even 1 level below the character. Keep in mind that for other members of the group to gain full benefits from the killed monster based on its level, the killer must also be any level equal to or below 5 levels above the level of the killed monster (which is another very simple test in duo mode). Your results agree well with mine when you show increases is experience gained per fight, on average, with increasing level of the monsters above the character level, but this result is both not as drastic as the effect of underleveled monsters, and also is affected by the experience cap per monster. Additionally, monster difficulty (which is not the same as monster level) further modifies the experience gain up to the experience cap. And yes, the experience cap for EPs is higher than it is for normal monsters. Your testing also seems to show that the experience cap for well bosses is higher than it is for EPs... that I do not know anything about yet, but it'll be nice to do my own testing at some point to see if I can confirm your results.

TL;DL experience gain stops scaling with increased monster level after a few levels, but the monster levels do continue to increase with additional trapdoors.

Quote (Phinigma @ Oct 15 2018 12:28am)
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great responses. Has been an enjoyable and informative read. If you guys have any other cool tidbits of knowledge to pass along please do! Just getting started in this game, (few months), and finding it enjoyable to learn as much about it as I can.

:thumbsup:

I love trapdoors, and I'd love to help with info about them anytime I can, so it's been my genuine pleasure :)

Quote (SilentXer0 @ Oct 13 2018 12:49pm)
What facts are you basing this information on? Seems quite speculative to me.

Quote (McDavid @ Oct 14 2018 03:49am)
proof?

proof?

Lemme know if my response was adequate, or if you see any flaws in my logic... I'd like to think that I tested appropriately, but maybe you see something I missed :thumbsup:

This post was edited by BWConformity on Oct 15 2018 08:10pm
Gold: 8,589.08
Oct 15 2018 11:12pm
Quote (BWConformity @ Oct 16 2018 03:05pm)
Sorry that I didn't have time to read this until now Rex. I appreciate the time and effort you took to test this, but actually, I think you may be a little confused about monster level increases per trapdoor because you are testing something different from monster level when you are looking at experience gain per kill.

Edit: Actually I reread the part in red and it doesn't really agree with what you wrote earlier about monsters not going up in level with consecutive TDs, but it seems like maybe you can understand it based on the tier of the drops, since max tier of drops is based on monster level.

All good bud... I was only referring as solo, not group, and to the increase of experience points a character would gain going down consecutive TDs.
This is where I despise trap doors, the monster level increases and you gain no extra experience, if I remember correctly also, your prof gain decreases even though you need more actions to kill it.

The gain is NOT significant to spend the extra time it takes... example: about a week ago, at level 7 I fell down 4 consecutive Trap Doors... I was still level 7, my gear is great for level 5-10 in killspeed, it took me just under an hour to clear such a small catacomb... the reward was crap and I was like level 11 after it.

This is my level 5 gear:

Mystical iron longsword
Level Req: 5
Damage: 23 to 233
+75% Enhanced Effect
+1% Damage Return
+1% Power Shot

Mystical iron plate mail
Physical Defense: 16 to 49
Magical Defense: 0 to 6
+13 Strength
+8 Dexterity

+162 Max Mana

Arcane focused heal IV (Main Slot)
Heals: 53 to 63
Mana Cost: 29
+72% Enhanced Effect
+16 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Critical Strike

+7% Heal Mastery
+1% Wind Mastery
Oct 15 2018 11:25pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Oct 15 2018 07:12pm)
All good bud... I was only referring as solo, not group, and to the increase of experience points a character would gain going down consecutive TDs.
This is where I despise trap doors, the monster level increases and you gain no extra experience, if I remember correctly also, your prof gain decreases even though you need more actions to kill it.

The gain is NOT significant to spend the extra time it takes... example: about a week ago, at level 7 I fell down 4 consecutive Trap Doors... I was still level 7, my gear is great for level 5-10 in killspeed, it took me just under an hour to clear such a small catacomb... the reward was crap and I was like level 11 after it.

This is my level 5 gear:

Mystical iron longsword
Damage: 23 to 233
+75% Enhanced Effect
+1% Damage Return
+1% Power Shot

Mystical iron plate mail
Physical Defense: 16 to 49
Magical Defense: 0 to 6
+13 Strength
+8 Dexterity

+162 Max Mana

Arcane focused heal IV (Main Slot)
Heals: 53 to 63
Mana Cost: 29
+72% Enhanced Effect
+16 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+2 Critical Strike

+7% Heal Mastery
+1% Wind Mastery

This is correct, although I haven't adequately tested it since the update, so it may have changed... but from before, prof gain rate (per hit, not per monster) stayed the same or increased during the first +5 levels, but once you were down enough trapdoors to go to +6 levels (at least 2, but in some rare cases can take as many as 6 trapdoors to reach this point), prof gain rate decreased... in fact, by the time I went down 10 trapdoors at lvl 55 on Screened, drop quantity and drop tier also began to decrease to the point where it was pointless to even look at drops... by 16 trapdoors down at lvl 55--my record (monster level was over 100)--soloing at lvl 55, basically all drops were tier 1 and 2 garbage... prof gains were rarely happening too :P Sure was fun though :) A real masochist's paradise :wub:
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll