d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > 1993 Chevy 6.5 Diesel
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,486.00
Oct 10 2018 01:12am
Quote (jimmyhoud @ Oct 9 2018 04:35am)
Learn something new every day. That's good then. Those PMD's get HOT lol. Wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a relocation kit for them now-a-days though. I've never heard issues water temp wise. Just EGT & drive pressure after adding in more fuel.

What charger did they put on these?

Yeah 92/93 are the "prepper" models, very little in the way of electronics, my "Fuse block" in the engine bay is like a 6-way block LOL
94/95 are OBD1
96+ are OBD2

Only downside is that I cant chip or tune mine to make easy power, it will be all mechanical adjustments...plus side is there is plenty of room and less to go wrong

For the PMDs, several people make relocation kits, you mount the thing in the bumper, over the wheel arch, or stick it in the cab...theres also heatsinks, but why bother when you can just move it LOL

EGT is helped a lot by the 4" exhaust, the stock exhaust is really restrictive, the downpipe looks like it was installed using a sledge hammer on mine, but chevy also stupidly put 205 degree thermostats and a 205 degree fan clutch on these, which is why you run into overheating problems in some of them, changing to the Duramax clutch activates at a lower temp and the Duramax fan is more efficient and a bit larger, I believe mine was also installed with a 180 or 185 degree t-stat, so it has been pretty solid so far

not sure what the stock turbo is, put they are made to push like 7-10 PSI, these are really low boost motors, some people have upgraded to like an HX35 or HX40 but even so the 6.5 doesn't really need more than like 15. Never gonna be a big-power motor, I have seen some cost-outs where you can put 10-15k into one and have it make like 500hp and a good bit of torque, but why? The motor was made to be fuel efficient and to get the job done, and it does that well :-D

Quote (KoJ @ Oct 9 2018 05:23am)
if your going to dick with fans, get a electric fan set up imo

In this instance it is a two-pronged approach, switching to a newer water pump (98-2000) makes for more balanced cooling, at least from what I have read the stock pumps on the 97 and older end up like 80/20 and the #8 cylinder suffers, where as the newer pumps are more efficient and get more like 60/40, then what I said above about clutch activation temps and such

Quote (Subban @ Oct 9 2018 04:32pm)
I meant what are you gonna do with it lol

Gonna be a trip truck, I am picking up my trailer Friday to drive a hundred miles or so and back again, that's an easy tow, but at least once a year I make a big trip to the Midwest (Iowa, Wyoming, Indiana, ETC and I wanted something more capable in the mountain passes with a trailer)

Those trips will be the bulk of the miles I put in it, 2-3k round trip

This post was edited by Ice98 on Oct 10 2018 01:13am
Oct 10 2018 01:18am
One of the best parts about this purchase...I put it on my Discover card...Limited time "Balance Transfer" offer let me transfer 6k @ 4% interest for 18mo, :lol:
Oct 17 2018 04:12pm
Replaced the front shocks, $50 to do both was a solid deal for Delco Professional gas struts

Have to do the rears, delco air struts are waiting to go in

Have the 4" exhaust ready to install, its for a shorter vehicle (Suburban) so I will likely have to buy a piece of pipe for the center, but it was also something like $100 off normal price

Going to do a mild leveling kit, 3" front and 2.5" back which will allow me to go up to 32" tires...will also need 2" wheel spacers, but with the 4.11 rear gearing the bigger tires will give me much more comfortable highway speed RPMs

Then its peripheral crap, oil change and oil cooler lines/oil cooler, upgrade the trans oil cooler while the grill is off, polish the aluminum weld wheels and flake off the crappy clearcoat...I want to paint it but currently have nowhere to do it myself and just cant see dropping $3k on a paint job

Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll