d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Java Using Ffmpeg > Runtime Class
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.35
Oct 5 2018 02:40am
I'm trying to create a java application that uses features from the FFMPEG framework..

I installed FFMPEG on my computer, so when I use runtime class and run a FFMPEG method using a cmd line it works because I have FFMPEG installed..

But lets say I'm done with my project and some random person downloads the program. Then that person will not have FFMPEG installed on their computer, which means using the runtime function to access a method from FFMPEG will not work.

How can I make it possible to use FFMPEG functions in my java program without having it installed on every computer for it to work.
Gold: 170.00
Oct 5 2018 03:37am
Deliver your program with FFMPEG? :huh:
Oct 5 2018 04:23am
Quote (FreeUsername @ 5 Oct 2018 11:37)
Deliver your program with FFMPEG? :huh:

haha never thought about this, because I have no experience with creating an installation for the users before using the program. Always created programs that are ready to go without any sort of installation

I think it would seem unprofessional if I just made a readme file that said the user would have to go and download that framework and install it by themselves.. also guessing some folks with no it exp would not be able to figure that out..
Oct 5 2018 04:38am
Allot of programs come with ffmpeg.. basicly any vid editing too.

VLC, plex, xine, kodi, blender, for example all use ffmpeg.
Oct 5 2018 05:30am
Quote (FreeUsername @ 5 Oct 2018 12:38)
Allot of programs come with ffmpeg.. basicly any vid editing too.

VLC, plex, xine, kodi, blender, for example all use ffmpeg.

But how are ffmpeg installed inside of their application? thats what I cant wrap my head around..

Following the documentation from ffmpeg, the ffmpeg itself is installed on one's computer, in which you can use command lines to interact with it.. (which is working great btw)
thats why im using runtime class in java to engage with the cmd lines.

But ffmpeg wont be installed on customers computers unless they install it themself?

I know im missing the big picture, I can hear that I'm coming out as a complete noobie right now.. I'm sorry.

thats is what Im trying to create, a simple editing software

This post was edited by filsoof on Oct 5 2018 05:31am
Oct 5 2018 06:02am
ffmpeg is a binary that doesn't need instalation. So, you can ship it with your producct
Oct 6 2018 01:13pm
Quote (FreeUsername @ 5 Oct 2018 14:02)
ffmpeg is a binary that doesn't need instalation. So, you can ship it with your producct

I had to install on my computer, but it might because im on a mac?
Gold: 5.00
Oct 24 2018 10:30pm
You could setup your application on a virtual image, then create a snapshot of it with a working configuration and provide that to the next user. You could even set their physical host machine's OS to boot directly into the virtual image snapshot. I've done this with a Debian host running VirtualBox with Windows Guest OS + w/e software needed. If the application is graphic intensive this would require better hardware and some VBox addons to support direct access.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll