d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Macbook Charging Problems > Lmk
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.00
Oct 3 2018 07:00am
One of my friend's had a Macbook Pro, July 2010 model, which he upgraded the RAM/SSD in. I bought it off him for cheap because I needed a second laptop for local travel.
I replaced the battery ( with a genuine apple battery matching the model )
After replacing the battery I charged it with a 60W MagSafe that I had, as my friend didn't have the MBP charger it came with which is OEM 85W.
It seemed to work fine.

I used it pretty often between 9/13 and 9/27 of September, no issues. During this time the battery didn't fully discharge in use, but did respond to charging when low.

Went on a weekend trip from 9/27 - 10/1
Tried using the laptop yesterday , wouldn't turn on.
Switched the outlet to troubleshoot, wouldn't turn on.
The charging cable is green, but the lights on the side of the MBP do not indicate any charging is happening, even after leaving it all day.
Did some research on resetting the SMC, wouldn't turn on.
Removed and re-installed the battery, wouldn't turn on.

So now it leads me to believe the battery I just replaced is either faulty, or the cable is not giving enough juice to charge.
The battery cable light shows that it's green which indicates it is full. But it is not charging.
I know this because only one battery indicator light flashes when I hit the button on the side of the laptop.
I know 25W is a big difference, but it is weird that it used to respond to charging, and now doesn't

What should be my next steps? Would really like to get this thing charged, and up and running.

EDIT: 5fg to helpful and unique responses. Until my fg is gone, ofc.

This post was edited by Keasbey_Nights on Oct 3 2018 07:02am
Gold: 39,837.69
Oct 3 2018 07:11am
I don’t think it’s the battery.
Gold: 3,605.21
Oct 3 2018 02:12pm
i had similar issues replacing the battery in my thinkpad. for me the issue was I had to remove the whitelist listing for the battery in the bios, I know its different with mac but it may be a similar reason as to why your battery doesnt charge.
Gold: 18,352.00
Oct 3 2018 02:20pm
Quote (GNX @ Oct 3 2018 03:12pm)
i had similar issues replacing the battery in my thinkpad. for me the issue was I had to remove the whitelist listing for the battery in the bios, I know its different with mac but it may be a similar reason as to why your battery doesnt charge.

:rofl:
Gold: 2.00
Oct 4 2018 08:16am
Close thread. Needed to get the correct charger.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll