d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Car Audio > Looking For 4 6.5in Door Speakers.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 364.69
Warn: 30%
Oct 2 2018 10:53pm
Just upgrading base audio system. Quality vs price.

2way? 3 way? 4 way?

I will not be putting any amplifier in the system.
Gold: 0.45
Oct 3 2018 07:06pm
Quote (powwpoww @ Oct 2 2018 10:53pm)
Just upgrading base audio system. Quality vs price.

2way? 3 way? 4 way?

I will not be putting any amplifier in the system.

Strongly recommend upgrading the headunit first... Pioneer makes some good ones, They include a built in amplifier and will make your stock speakers sound cleaner and louder without having to reroute wires for an amp through the whole car.

As far as mids and highs components will always sound better than coaxials, but components tend to get more expensive.

Rockford fosgate, and alpine are some other good brands.
Cant go wrong with these sounqubed coaxials for 60 bucks!
You could always add an amp down the road and they will take the power just fine.

https://soundqubed.com/product/qsx-652-300-watt-coaxial-speaker/

This post was edited by kookymunsta309 on Oct 3 2018 07:08pm
Gold: 364.69
Warn: 30%
Oct 3 2018 08:18pm
Quote (kookymunsta309 @ Oct 3 2018 08:06pm)
Strongly recommend upgrading the headunit first... Pioneer makes some good ones, They include a built in amplifier and will make your stock speakers sound cleaner and louder without having to reroute wires for an amp through the whole car.

As far as mids and highs components will always sound better than coaxials, but components tend to get more expensive.

Rockford fosgate, and alpine are some other good brands.
Cant go wrong with these sounqubed coaxials for 60 bucks!
You could always add an amp down the road and they will take the power just fine.

https://soundqubed.com/product/qsx-652-300-watt-coaxial-speaker/

My vehicle isn't set up for tweeters and I don't want to rewire anything. Just plug and play.

I'll consider the head unit because it does make sense but I don't think my vehicle needs that.. Harness and mounting kit. I'll look into the vehicle.

So I'll be staying coaxial but are 2 ways best overall vs 3 or 4?
Price isn't exactly an issue. Just looking for the best bang for my buck.
Gold: 0.45
Oct 3 2018 11:56pm
Quote (powwpoww @ Oct 3 2018 08:18pm)
My vehicle isn't set up for tweeters and I don't want to rewire anything. Just plug and play.

I'll consider the head unit because it does make sense but I don't think my vehicle needs that.. Harness and mounting kit. I'll look into the vehicle.

So I'll be staying coaxial but are 2 ways best overall vs 3 or 4?
Price isn't exactly an issue. Just looking for the best bang for my buck.

With the components your car wouldn't need to be set up for them, its just basically a giant extension speaker wire that comes with. It would take a little longer to install because you would have to run that included wire from the dash tweet to the door mid.
If you choose components you would generally mount the tweeter on the dash pointed at your windshield, It will amplify the treble notes and bring the soundstage up (would sound much louder than just a tweeter pointing at your leg)

I would stick with the coaxials (2 way) you cant go wrong, 3-4 way isnt bad its just not needed. If you want to get fancy get some components up front, and coaxials in the back.

But the biggest night and day difference will be the headunit, most have bluetooth and a detachable faceplate because fk thieves. I linked a decent one below.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_137879_Pioneer-DEH-S6000BS.html

This post was edited by kookymunsta309 on Oct 3 2018 11:58pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 27 2018 05:32am
Head units are almost always 50w max and 22w rms per channel.

The ideal speakers are going to have a low RMS wattage, max wattage is not as important.

Paper cone speakers are actually well-suited because they are easily driven but for the most part the bass is going to be muddy, mids are going to be okay, and highs are going to be harsh and sibilant. However some newer vehicles come with well-designed low wattage speakers that sound quite nice so you could source some of those.

Aftermarket wise I think you would be better off getting 5 1/4" 2-way or 3-way, not 4-way that's just a gimmick imo, and using a 6.5" to 5 1/4 adapter or something. Focal Auditor series is one way to go if you want overall sound quality and the bass would be tight.

One thing I've tried is a pair of 6.5" Infinity Kappa 3-way speakers with a built in crossover and a little 3db button for switching from 4-ohm to 2-ohm hooked up straight to a head unit. Of course running in 2-ohm they were much louder but the head unit is designed to run 4-ohm so within 20-30 minutes of high volume listening the head unit would overheat and the speakers would become quiet and sound terrible. Until I let the head unit rest and cool off a bit, after 5-10 minutes I could crank up the volume and listen for another 20-30 until the head unit would overheat again. Rinse and repeat. Sounded amazing when not overheated but not recommended.
Go Back To Car Audio Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll