d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Samurai
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 31,200.10
Sep 19 2018 08:45am
seppuku was seen as cowardly, but dying from a sword (which is somehow better?)

Ive read that hara-kiri where one could cut his stomach open to restore or redeem honor to his family; after doing something disgraceful.

After I left for college, another dojo opened down the street that taught Okinawan Kempo. But I leaned Nippon Kempo, which I feel is probably better.
Gold: 8,579.58
Sep 19 2018 10:00am
Quote (subwolf22 @ Sep 20 2018 03:45am)
seppuku was seen as cowardly, but dying from a sword (which is somehow better?)

Ive read that hara-kiri where one could cut his stomach open to restore or redeem honor to his family; after doing something disgraceful.

After I left for college, another dojo opened down the street that taught Okinawan Kempo. But I leaned Nippon Kempo, which I feel is probably better.

I actually had to use google, I felt there wasn't a 'cowardly' form, and omfg... there is so much junk on the subject it made me laugh.
My reference of information was based on books over 30 years ago, and after reading the garb about it, I find that it has blown out
of proportion. My interpretation then:

Seppuku is the formal way to kill oneself for a Samurai (in a court or even in the battlefield after a loss).
Hari Kiri is the term used for the women to kill themselves before being disgraced and following their husband in the afterlife (also formal/ritual)

Now after reading google, they talk about the characters being the same but in different places... this could also imply that I read it correctly then.
I also noticed that some people dispute that the word for women killing themselves in the formal way is(n't) Jigai (which I never read about then).

If I remember correctly, the Bushido reference is actually 'Seppuku', been too long to remember it correctly, but after google search, I did not want
to get into that clutter of information, I would have to find old scriptures on this... :rofl:

After reading a bit more on the subject, it has been deemed there is no definitive difference in either Seppuku or Hari Kiri ... but, they don't really
refer to the women terminology of the same practice.

Thanks for the memories and discussion... as for the sword part, it is in reference to being in the battlefield and not having access to a Tanto (knife/dagger)
to perform it... so they use their sword (Tachi [Long] / Katana) or shorter sword, think it was called Wazibashi.

EDIT: there was reference that in the Court, one would have another stand over them and behead them after they perform the ritual.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Sep 19 2018 10:01am
Gold: 31,200.10
Sep 19 2018 10:19am
Yeah both seppuku and hara-kiri are turning a blade on yourself.

Many imperialist rebels would commit seppuku if they got captured or found out, before the Japanese civil war.

I got a katana to practice with for kempo and I wanted a wakizashi but never got around to it.
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll