d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Samurai
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 950.13
Sep 18 2018 12:04am
Anyone else find it odd that samurai cant use spears?
But can use long swords?

The red horse-hair tassel in the spear image is a classic samurai weapon.

Gold: 670.67
Sep 18 2018 03:23am
A spear was not a ready part of the Samurai arsenal, a pole arm in fact was.
I believe the weapon master you are thinking of for the pictured spear, is indeed the Monk.
Gold: 80,070.29
Warn: 30%
Sep 18 2018 08:26am
It would be cool if they could. I think polearms and warhammers should have better implementation. They both are very limited.
Gold: 8,672.68
Sep 18 2018 09:09am
Quote (Bob888 @ Sep 19 2018 03:26am)
It would be cool if they could. I think polearms and warhammers should have better implementation. They both are very limited.

That is like saying Clubs and Staves should have better implementation as well, considering those heavies are their counterpart.

Been mentioned a few times in the past to implement certain weapons with other classes to give them more influence, still hasn't happened, how long now? Since the introduction of them?

Quote (Bob888 @ Sep 19 2018 04:12am)
Sorry are you answering your own question with another question.

It's not like saying clubs and staves should have better implementation because heavy weapons are more limited than staves. You have 2 weapons that basically have the same class implementation Feeder + paladin. Clubs do that too.

Clubs could be better. I don't see why not. I'm glad we're on the same side then.

Axe / Dagger dominant melee weapons to purchase ... Battleaxe / Spear & Longsword are the dominant heavy melee weapons.
By that example, we could exchange the dagger for polearm on the Samurai class ... this basically balances out the sword as well
as increasing the usefulness of Polearm.

Only thing is to find a character class that could use the Warhammer.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Sep 18 2018 09:26am
Gold: 80,070.29
Warn: 30%
Sep 18 2018 09:12am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Sep 18 2018 01:09pm)

Been mentioned a few times in the past to implement certain weapons with other classes to give them more influence, still hasn't happened, how long now? Since the introduction of them?

Sorry are you answering your own question with another question.

It's not like saying clubs and staves should have better implementation because heavy weapons are more limited than staves. You have 2 weapons that basically have the same class implementation Feeder + paladin. Clubs do that too.

Clubs could be better. I don't see why not. I'm glad we're on the same side then.
Gold: 950.13
Sep 18 2018 10:04pm
Quote (TheBert @ Sep 18 2018 04:23am)
A spear was not a ready part of the Samurai arsenal, a pole arm in fact was.
I believe the weapon master you are thinking of for the pictured spear, is indeed the Monk.

Ok so technically spears are polearms. I was not going to go there since everyone here was educated otherwise by Diablo 2 and other games.

The Naginata is very much a bladed pole weapon.
The Yari however comes in many forms and blur any attempts to artificially create some distiction between the pointed and the bladed pole weapons

Even longer swords like nodachi are light slashing and stabbing weapons. Nothing one would call "heavy" like european longswords that smash with their weight beyond just being edge weapons.

In conclusion in regard to traditional samurai weapons:
Arguement for Spears continues to be valid.
Arguement for Polearms would also be valid.
Arguement for Longswords somewhat valid but less so because of "heavy" typing.
Senior Moderator
Gold: 12,837.69
Trader: Trusted
Sep 18 2018 11:38pm
I've been saying something like this for years now! I completely agree with you, Dan.

I'm also a big fan of the ideas floating around that after feeder it becomes random until alchy (maybe even include that in the randomness), this could either be done at the start of the season (or dare I say it......) a different order for EACH player.

Would be cool IMO

inb4 "you only like this idea because you have gear for all classes" - my retort to that is, yea, but it's trash, and so am I. t4t
Sep 19 2018 12:28am
Quote (Zuko @ Sep 19 2018 05:04pm)
Ok so technically spears are polearms. I was not going to go there since everyone here was educated otherwise by Diablo 2 and other games.

The Naginata is very much a bladed pole weapon.
The Yari however comes in many forms and blur any attempts to artificially create some distiction between the pointed and the bladed pole weapons

Even longer swords like nodachi are light slashing and stabbing weapons. Nothing one would call "heavy" like european longswords that smash with their weight beyond just being edge weapons.

In conclusion in regard to traditional samurai weapons:
Arguement for Spears continues to be valid.
Arguement for Polearms would also be valid.
Arguement for Longswords somewhat valid but less so because of "heavy" typing.

Been like over 30 years since I last had interest in Samurai / culture and religion.

I believe that the Yari & Naginata were actual weapons used by the religion (priest/monks) that dominated the Samurai code.
The No-dachi was replaced with the Katana because of the encumbrance due to its' length (7-9' long), it can not be regarded as a light weapon at all.

Above statement is from the past, you can validate your points and prove me wrong, in reality, I could not be bothered to google it, reasoning is because period (era) may alter both views.

The one thing I will state, the dagger was never used as a weapon, it was only used performing acts of honor... I only recall the word sepuku, I have also heard of another word, which I have forgotten... I do know that one of the names is for a Samurai, and the other is for a woman ensuring she is not disgraced by another and keeping faithful to her husband (Lord / Samurai etc).

Thus, a Samurai should not use a dagger, it should get replaced by the Polearm (which you are correct, that name is related to the English weapon category)
Gold: 31,200.10
Sep 19 2018 06:22am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Sep 19 2018 01:28am)
Been like over 30 years since I last had interest in Samurai / culture and religion.

I believe that the Yari & Naginata were actual weapons used by the religion (priest/monks) that dominated the Samurai code.
The No-dachi was replaced with the Katana because of the encumbrance due to its' length (7-9' long), it can not be regarded as a light weapon at all.

Above statement is from the past, you can validate your points and prove me wrong, in reality, I could not be bothered to google it, reasoning is because period (era) may alter both views.

The one thing I will state, the dagger was never used as a weapon, it was only used performing acts of honor... I only recall the word sepuku, I have also heard of another word, which I have forgotten... I do know that one of the names is for a Samurai, and the other is for a woman ensuring she is not disgraced by another and keeping faithful to her husband (Lord / Samurai etc).

Thus, a Samurai should not use a dagger, it should get replaced by the Polearm (which you are correct, that name is related to the English weapon category)

harakiri was the other word?

I had a couple books on samurai and bushido in high school. I had just gone taking Kempo at the time so I was still rather interested. Samurai basically means warrior, and different kinds. Most of the time now when we hear the word samurai, we picture the shoguns or shogunate. Idr about the spears and polearms and whatever, gonna leave that one alone.

This post was edited by subwolf22 on Sep 19 2018 06:23am
Sep 19 2018 08:11am
Quote (subwolf22 @ Sep 20 2018 01:22am)
harakiri was the other word?

I had a couple books on samurai and bushido in high school. I had just gone taking Kempo at the time so I was still rather interested. Samurai basically means warrior, and different kinds. Most of the time now when we hear the word samurai, we picture the shoguns or shogunate. Idr about the spears and polearms and whatever, gonna leave that one alone.

Thanks.

That is the other word I was looking for, not sure which one is in reference too either Samurai or suicide by a woman (maybe it could also mean to kill oneself to redeem their disgrace).
Kempo is a style developed by the sword masters of various samurai styles after they became Westernised and samurai were outlawed/banned... again, been a long time since I did Kendo and Shorinji Kempo.

Samurai / Warrior is basically a loose translation now compared to the Shogunate periods, in those days I would say they were the Royal (personalised) Guards to their Lord, there were other warriors that even used the Long Bow style (forgotten the correct name), then you had lower ranked guards / fighters etc.

But, you are correct, we associate Samurai as just a sword wielding royal guard ... just like we associate the assassin as a Ninja with powers etc.

Damn... even if I am wrong in some of my statements, I like using memory to discuss things over google... google is a tool to powerful to be used by the masses... :D

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Sep 19 2018 08:12am
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll