d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Student App Program > Question
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,688.09
Sep 5 2018 02:20pm
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding an app I have to develop for my class.

The purpose of the app is to extract a Students ID number through a magnetic USB reader in HID keyboard mode and then parse the string of data into an Excel Spreadsheet. The data in the spreadsheet will record 7 numbers in length, date and time. Along with a GUI that will display the university logo, validation, errors and repeating users.

I have a sufficient amount of knowledge with Java, though I do not know too much about creating GUI's. I am leaning towards using Java because the enormous amount of information and help readily available online.
Also, I have a good amount of experience with Microsoft Visual Studio as well, but only with the GUI part. I feel as if I can create a GUI no problem, but do not know how to implement the code and which language to use for this situation.

My question is, which language would be best for this situation? Would my best bet be Java within Visual Studio? Given my lack of experience of combining a GUI and a written program. I am willing to learn.

I am taking on the role of Project Manager for my assigned group, they are of no help and beyond shy. I am trying to look at this as a good thing because it is giving me a lot of experience with clients. I want to get an A in this class, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gold: 1,939.50
Sep 6 2018 03:49pm
If the data is going into excel then what is the purpose of the GUI?

What type GUI are you creating with Visual Studio? A windows form? A Visual Studio extension? What? Visual Studio is an IDE not just a GUI.
Gold: 1,688.09
Sep 6 2018 06:45pm
Quote (waraholic @ Sep 6 2018 04:49pm)
If the data is going into excel then what is the purpose of the GUI?

What type GUI are you creating with Visual Studio? A windows form? A Visual Studio extension? What? Visual Studio is an IDE not just a GUI.

The purpose of the GUI is to display a Green or Red X after the individual student's ID is scanned, if it fails to validate after 3 physical scans, the user would manually enter the students ID number through a point and click UI.

The GUI would be simple. Most likely just an input box for the ID number, a few buttons like OK, Cancel, Exit.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll