d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trump University > Back By Popular Demand
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Aug 14 2018 01:35pm
I'll list out my thoughts so far, but there is a lot of legal stuff to still read.

Trump University itself, is both a scam and not a scam. I'll explain why I think so.
It is 1 of a million companies that sells a product through seminars and vigorous suggestions of being rich.

I was very good friends with a family that kept buying into similar companies.
Every time they started into something like this, they would hate me for months because I would try to ask sensible questions about the program.
They keep buying into the "next-step", when all they needed was given to them that first day. You literally just need to be motivated to push the next sale no matter what. That is generally what they teach you.
Whether the company is selling energy drinks, or just more packets of paper to read... it's all the same idea and there is rarely much factual info to share.

The idea is based around continuous investing, and Trump University is no different.
Technically for most people attending, they are getting what they paid for.
Reading through the documents of the cases brought against Trump University, the accusers definitely feel misled about what type of info they would receive.
They also mention things that show some basic info was being given to them, although the focus of the accuser's were on "the push" to sell further programs. (which i do not doubt would have been the focus of employers either)
Either way the first seminar was free and the second seminar seemed to have some basic info.

The thing that got me, and to which I do think the company was guilty, was the introduction to the "gold package".
What was a 1-year package that could cost you up to $35k, was misleading.
This package offered you a phone number you can call all year I guess... but it only gave you 6x 1hour "private meetings" with supposed "experts".

Although there are some actual employees that seem to have years of experience even back then, there were numerous complaints that they were not.
There are even some complaints that certain people were promised certain types of help with setting up locally, but got a mentor that was unable to help in the area after paying.
I've read that these mentors have to fly to meet up, and then only have a short time each day to discuss. So I doubt that could be given unless you got someone from the area.

The other thing about the "gold package" is the previous seminar "taught" you how to increase your credit. Which brings claim to the company assessing how much you can afford to throw at the "gold package".

At large, "I" think the company was a scam at whole, just trying to sell more product. Again, there was factual info given, but I believe all these companies at large, are a scam.

Now for Trump personally...
He along with a few others founded the company known as Trump University. Take note of 1 of these founders being Michael Sexton.
Trump personally had monthly meetings over "finances" of the company.
Trump claims to personally write in his blog, in which there are hundreds of endorsements for the company.

Gray areas.
The big one is the name "University"
Trump has stated by Tweet, that he reviews everything with his name on it to ensure it's quality. Many of these mentors, not all, are not qualified and/or were unable to help due to actual time restraints in the program.
There are ads that state Trump hand-picked the mentors in reference to the "gold package". Michael Sexton claims Trump reviewed and signed-off on everything, I'm still digging to see if I can get a quote from Trump referring to numerous specifics.

The actual running of everything seems to fall on the shoulders of Michael Sexton, but I'll keep reading to confirm.

long read... take a breath and look it over, I'll add on later but I need a break for the moment.
If there are any points of interest, I'll hear them
Gold: 28,296.01
Aug 14 2018 01:43pm
you've gone from mini ghot to mini goom
Aug 14 2018 01:46pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Aug 14 2018 02:43pm)
you've gone from mini ghot to mini goom

you stay the same with no info, only accusations.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 14 2018 01:52pm
any "university" that is "both a scam and not a scam" is a "scam".

its like saying your accountant is "both a thief and not a thief"
Gold: 17,384.69
Aug 14 2018 01:56pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ 14 Aug 2018 20:35)
Trump University itself, is both a scam and not a scam. I'll explain why I think so.

Okay, well, are you serious ?
Aug 14 2018 01:58pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 14 2018 02:52pm)
any "university" that is "both a scam and not a scam" is a "scam".

its like saying your accountant is "both a thief and not a thief"

i gave my reasons, if you read them.
"i" think it's a scam. a lot of ppl think otherwise and build the motivation needed from seminars such as these.
since something is being sold, it's not technically a scam in that sense. but i do not see much value in the actual products.

if you guys read further than the first thing you disagree with... you might find things you agree with...
all any of you try to do is discredit "my words" without even looking into it yourself.
a few of you asked my opinion on this, so this is what i have collectively learned so far.
you can either help, or just pretend "Trump University" is Trump.
Aug 14 2018 02:01pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Aug 14 2018 01:58pm)
i gave my reasons, if you read them.
"i" think it's a scam. a lot of ppl think otherwise and build the motivation needed from seminars such as these.
since something is being sold, it's not technically a scam in that sense. but i do not see much value in the actual products.

if you guys read further than the first thing you disagree with... you might find things you agree with...
all any of you try to do is discredit "my words" without even looking into it yourself.
a few of you asked my opinion on this, so this is what i have collectively learned so far.
you can either help, or just pretend "Trump University" is Trump.

if i sold you snake oil with "arthritis medication" on the front, it's a scam. "medicine", "university", "nontoxic", etc. these words have meaning, the fact that something's being sold doesn't matter.
Aug 14 2018 02:06pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 14 2018 03:01pm)
if i sold you snake oil with "arthritis medication" on the front, it's a scam. "medicine", "university", "nontoxic", etc. these words have meaning, the fact that something's being sold doesn't matter.

this is a good point and i forgot to cover this in the OP. Trump University was not a University, but a company.
To be completely fair the company is guilty of this... in a couple states, not federally. The name of the company was then changed after a court case in NY.

I have not yet found any proof that "Trump University" actually portrayed being a University. People seemed to know at the very least, this getting into it.
Other promises have been broken, but so far, this doesn't seem to be one of those.
It was catchy word-play, but i was not opposed to them having to change the name either. This keeps laws stricter around this area.

This post was edited by tagged4nothing on Aug 14 2018 02:15pm
Aug 14 2018 02:16pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Aug 14 2018 02:06pm)
this is a good point and i forgot to cover this in the OP. Trump University was not a University, but a company.
To be completely fair the company is guilty of this... in a couple states, not federally. The name of the company was then changed after a court case in NY.

i believe, but could be wrong, that "university" as a phrase carries certain consumer protections nationwide. however as these "universities" only existed in a single state and involved no interstate commerce there were no federal proceedings. Also keep in mind this, so far, is a civil lawsuit rather than a criminal proceeding. Trump "university" needs to change it's name or be open to more civil lawsuits, not criminal charges. Unless there is some sort of massive negligence that results in harm to someone criminal charges don't apply in situations like this. You'd have to demonstrate some sort of racket to steal money from the students, as compared to this which is just overstated promises and a phony name for the "school" without any accreditation to back it up.

I have not yet found any proof that "Trump University" actually portrayed being a University. People seemed to know at the very least, this getting into it.
Other promises have been broken, but so far, this doesn't seem to be one of those.
It was catchy word-play, but i was not opposed to them having to change the name either. This keeps laws stricter around this area.

that doesnt matter. u can't name a non-accredited institution "university" unless you're protected by some parody. such as the "pick up artist university" being the name of a course at the community center for incels.

u can't sell anything labeled certain terms, period, unless it's backed up as such.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Aug 14 2018 02:17pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Aug 14 2018 02:17pm
You voted for him it's not a big deal, doesnt means you have to defend his maneuvering.

Who would know it would end up in the the most ridiculous and pathetic democratic president of the whole mandkind history ? Nobody was expecting this.

Maybe he could open a tax avoidance consulting firm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll