d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Buying A New Laptop
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.23
Aug 13 2018 09:49am
I want to buy a laptop my 2 utility are gonna be running this program and playing online poker

4+GB of free RAM for comfortable usage
modern 64-bit CPU (for comfortable usage i5/i7 quad or equivalent is recommended but we tested on older quads as well and it will work just slower (anywhere from 2x to 5x slower))
modern Windows (7 or newer) (but see next point)
Mac works. Our customers run the solver using Parallels or Bootcamp. If you would like to give it a shot, try the free-version first.
modern .Net Framework (available for free on Microsoft's website, already present on most modern computers)

In general 16GB of RAM is almost never a limitation while 8GB sometimes is for really big trees with multiple bet sizes.

mostly its just a program doing math calcul .. ALOT and i want it to be as fast as possible and never have problem so that why i might just want to buy a 16G ram

my other utility is just playing poker online but its always more fun to play poker on a window

one of my friend though I should get a macbook pro because its better overall and the stability is better and same for the components inside

and he could just put window on it also and I could have both

is that a smart and good idea? if not which laptop should I try to get
Gold: 1,988,568.00
Aug 13 2018 11:33am
Quote (THCHunter @ 13 Aug 2018 17:49)
one of my friend though I should get a macbook pro because its better overall and the stability is better and same for the components inside

Bullshit! Better components inside? They are often a generation behind in hardware.
You pay a 30%+ premium because of the bitten apple on it.

They have a HORRIBLE butterfly keyboard with bugs, and it literally hurts to use for longer periodes of time, specially intense typing.
No dedicated GPU in their 13" pro line up.
Freaking useless touchbar (you don't even have a physical esc key)
No USB-A, so you can't even use a regular mouse or USB-stick without taking out your expensive mac dongle.
Long time apple user's take on newer macbooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK369-NU44g
But Apple users are pretty much stuck in the ecosystem. Their innovation has been slow since like 2012. Now the other manufacturers has catched up making similar if not better products for a lower price.

Macbooks are not magic:

I bought the new Huawei Matebook X Pro i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, MX150 for 1400$. And man this exceed all my expectation.
A similar spec'd Macbook 2018 13" would be 2499.99$, and that's without a dedicated GPU.

"HUAWEI’S NEW MATEBOOK X PRO IS THE BEST LAPTOP RIGHT NOW"
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/29/17396818/huawei-matebook-x-pro-laptop-review-specs-price

Check some youtube reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFCkmVoRhU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpHa-YZp8Y

There are also other great options like Dell XPS, HP Spectre, Asus Zenbook Pro and Deluxe etc.

Now let the war start!
Gold: 4.23
Aug 13 2018 12:12pm
I was hoping to buy it today my computer cuz leaving in 2 day but i dont seem to find it in my city I think I need to deliver it from Amazon
Gold: 1,785.00
Aug 14 2018 06:56am
Quote (THCHunter @ Aug 13 2018 02:12pm)
I was hoping to buy it today my computer cuz leaving in 2 day but i dont seem to find it in my city I think I need to deliver it from Amazon

Youll only find lower end models or apple laptops in stores. The better laptops are too expensive to find in a box store. They would have to mark them up too much to attract customers or make a profit. Online is where you will find the best deals and best builds. Amazon, newegg, etc.
Gold: 1,988,568.00
Aug 14 2018 07:06am
Quote (TheEvil1 @ 14 Aug 2018 14:56)
Youll only find lower end models or apple laptops in stores. The better laptops are too expensive to find in a box store. They would have to mark them up too much to attract customers or make a profit. Online is where you will find the best deals and best builds. Amazon, newegg, etc.

Sadly this is true.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll