d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > If This Is A Penalty We're In For A Boring Season
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,000.00
Aug 12 2018 06:35pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Aug 12 2018 07:23pm)
It's just all optics. The NFL wants to avoid people from realizing the truth is that the hard hits aren't even what is causing CTE , it's just from playing football itself. Players with the highest rates of CTE are lineman/linebackers/RBs , the position that usually make contact almost every play. Just the act of making contact puts force onto your brain and you play 30-60 snaps a game 16 games at least a year and not factoring in practice or pre season or playoffs , you're looking at like 500+ impacts that will over time do damage and is significantly worse for you than getting blasted even though helmet to helmet is more acute.

I'm okay somewhat with them being paranoid about defenseless rules or some special treatment of QBs cause sure whatever but at some point , people need to accept there is no safe way to play football unless tackling isn't allowed or somehow we find a way to make your brain immune to F=MA.

Linemen regularly get kneed/kicked in the head
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 12 2018 06:44pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Aug 12 2018 05:23pm)
It's just all optics. The NFL wants to avoid people from realizing the truth is that the hard hits aren't even what is causing CTE , it's just from playing football itself. Players with the highest rates of CTE are lineman/linebackers/RBs , the position that usually make contact almost every play. Just the act of making contact puts force onto your brain and you play 30-60 snaps a game 16 games at least a year and not factoring in practice or pre season or playoffs , you're looking at like 500+ impacts that will over time do damage and is significantly worse for you than getting blasted even though helmet to helmet is more acute.

I'm okay somewhat with them being paranoid about defenseless rules or some special treatment of QBs cause sure whatever but at some point , people need to accept there is no safe way to play football unless tackling isn't allowed or somehow we find a way to make your brain immune to F=MA.

Exactly!

You think this would end up being a bad thing for them in the long run though. Seriously, if you implement all these rules and lets say CTE rates stay the same or go up (because people are WAY bigger, faster, and stronger than they were before), what's their reaction going to be? I get that people are outraged, but this just needs to be something all players agree to even in college. If you play this game you are agreeing to put yourself in harms way. You may have permanent injury from playing this game, but you maybe also be able to drag yourself out of a dirt poor existence into the 1% along the way. I think players are still going to opt to play.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 12 2018 06:51pm
Gold: 1,250.00
Aug 12 2018 06:51pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 12 2018 08:44pm)
Exactly!

You think this would end up being a bad thing for them in the long run though. Seriously, if you implement all these rules and lets say CTE rates stay the same or go up (because people are WAY bigger, faster, and stronger than they were before), what's their reaction going to be? I get that people are outraged, but this just needs to be something all players agree to even in college. If you play this game you are agreeing to yourself in harms way. You may have permanent injury from playing this game, but you maybe also be able to drag yourself out of a dirt poor existence into the 1% along the way. I think players are still going to opt to play.

I agree they should be able to play and hit hard and take the ramifications, but the NFL has to protect itself from lawsuits, in my mind that's what this is all about after they got nailed the first time for CTE, they want to be able to say we did everything possible to avoid this outcome in court. It's not about protecting the players, it's all about protecting the NFL's MONEY.
Gold: 0.01
Warn: 30%
Aug 12 2018 07:04pm
Quote (SheriffCool @ Aug 12 2018 07:51pm)
I agree they should be able to play and hit hard and take the ramifications, but the NFL has to protect itself from lawsuits, in my mind that's what this is all about after they got nailed the first time for CTE, they want to be able to say we did everything possible to avoid this outcome in court. It's not about protecting the players, it's all about protecting the NFL's MONEY.

Which is ironic because making the sport safer and safer is going to absolutely destroy viewership/sponsors and cost the NFL millions of dollars anyways.
Gold: 3,059.01
Aug 12 2018 07:04pm
Quote (BastardOfWinterfell @ Aug 12 2018 09:04pm)
Which is ironic because making the sport safer and safer is going to absolutely destroy viewership/sponsors and cost the NFL millions of dollars anyways.

You’re a pleb
Gold: 32,090.31
Aug 12 2018 07:18pm
You guys keep crying about it, but you're still going to watch.
Gold: 66.01
Aug 12 2018 07:57pm
Quote (Braxton11 @ Aug 12 2018 09:18pm)
You guys keep crying about it, but you're still going to watch.

Ratings are down.

I pretty much just watch the cowboys and keep it moving these days.

They're trying to much to reinvent the wheel. Football is a mans game and they're involving politics and now making it so defenses can't play
Gold: 63,142.89
Aug 12 2018 08:29pm
Quote (TarHeels @ Aug 12 2018 09:57pm)
Ratings are down.

I pretty much just watch the cowboys and keep it moving these days.

They're trying to much to reinvent the wheel. Football is a mans game and they're involving politics and now making it so defenses can't play

when you say "man's game" are these the "men" you are referring to?

because those are the "men" whose game it is right now
Gold: 250.00
Aug 12 2018 08:36pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Aug 12 2018 07:29pm)
when you say "man's game" are these the "men" you are referring to?

https://i.imgur.com/kH99Wob.png

because those are the "men" whose game it is right now

:rofl:

Quote (SheriffCool @ Aug 12 2018 05:51pm)

Oh 100%, but that's why I'm saying they should say fuck it and just have ALL players joining the NFL sign a clause protecting them from suits. Let the game be played how it was meant to play (obviously coming down on nasty hits and shit is a good thing, but this is just like a wtf man thing) and strike a deal with insurers to allow you to cover players through work comp (or w/e the NFL uses for paying medical bills) throughout the span of their life. They've got more than enough to pay the insurance premiums, it wouldn't hurt them at all, they can't be found liable for any pain and suffering or any other bullshit people try to drop on them because of the documents they signed, and it's AMAZING PR since they're now "taking care of" their players for life. win win fucking win and everyone's happy, NFL makes more in the long run, we the fans are happy, players feel like they're getting a little more love, and anyone complaining about it being too dangerous can go fuck themselves since it's spelled out for them in writing by the NFL if they play.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 12 2018 08:38pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Aug 12 2018 08:38pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 12 2018 10:36pm)
:rofl:

Oh 100%, but that's why I'm saying they should say fuck it and just have ALL players joining the NFL sign a clause protecting them from suits. Let the game be played how it was meant to play (obviously coming down on nasty hits and shit is a good thing, but this is just like a wtf man thing) and strike a deal with insurers to allow you to cover players through work comp (or w/e the NFL uses for paying medical bills) throughout the span of their life. They've got more than enough to pay the insurance premiums, it wouldn't hurt them at all, they can't be found liable for any pain and suffering or any other bullshit people try to drop on them, and it's AMAZING PR since they're now "taking care of" their players for life.

bolded part is the owners' "doomsday scenario" that they are taking exhaustive legal action to avoid.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Aug 12 2018 08:39pm
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll