d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Ready Player One Rant > The Other Topic Couldn't Be Replied To~
Prev1789101114Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 17 2018 08:30am
Quote (barryj @ Aug 17 2018 07:21am)
I imagine seeing the movie without reading the book would make it better but if you've read the book first, it's crap.

I would have thought it was crap with or without the book. The main difference is that I wouldn't have bothered going to the theater had I just seen the awful trailers. Book universe aside, the movie has A LOT of faults. Anything pandering this hard and with this many mistakes is impossible to be enjoyable for plenty of moviegoers.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 17 2018 05:28pm
I couldn't even finish watching the trailer.

Quote (WelSh @ Aug 13 2018 05:57pm)

Welcome to almost every movie based on a book

Also this

This post was edited by BrendanSchaub on Aug 17 2018 05:29pm
Gold: 4.37
Aug 21 2018 09:13pm
I got time to rewatch the movie, and I will respectfully comment on some of the concerns here...

1. Sorrento's confession was the somewhat verbal confirmation that he was at least involved with Z's aunts murder. H quickly states that she records everything in the workshop. The virtual rig of sorrento's chamber was in the workshop. This isn't a strong scene, but should clear up confusion.

2. Early on, Z admits to following Art on social media. He is already infatuated with her in VR before they socialize. It is completely common for online users/gamers to throw out the words I Love You prematurely. Is it rushed? Absolutely. yet, it's no different than any other action movie. Is that a good excuse? No.

3. The high 5 still didn't need further explaining, it was incredibly self explanatory. In fact, they nearly spelled it out for the audience explaining in which order everyone completed the first challenge.

4. Clans are different than friends. Having a few online friends that you play with has nothing to do with clans.

5. I already don't remember correctly, but the first puzzle didn't take 5 years. I don't think they stated a time frame of when the portal to the first puzzle/challenge was opened. I believe they said that someone figured out how to open it. So we don't actually know how long the first race challenge was open for, but I could be wrong.

I don't have an issue with how it was solved, it had to be solved by someone. You may think it's unrealistic that it wasn't solved by someone with a large investment poured into it, and that's fine, however it was necessary for the progression of the movie. Even though it is evident that it seems everyone spends their time in Oasis, can you assume that BILLIONS of people do?
Aug 22 2018 01:31am
1. Just no....
2. Being infatuated with someone you've never met and being in love are not the same thing, unless it's a world full of stupid people.. which it is.
3. It's still context from the book that wasn't explained. Once again, a single line could have fixed this discrepancy, but it's just another example of bad/lazy writing.
4. He joined a clan at the end... that's what the whole fucking thing IRL resistance was. Guess that went right over.
5. They said someone opened the portal early on. Even being super fucking generous we could maybe say it's been three years and not a single person tried going backwards on a race the whole time. It was stupid.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 22 2018 01:31am
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 22 2018 02:11am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 22 2018 12:31am)
1. Just no....
2. Being infatuated with someone you've never met and being in love are not the same thing, unless it's a world full of stupid people.. which it is.
3. It's still context from the book that wasn't explained. Once again, a single line could have fixed this discrepancy, but it's just another example of bad/lazy writing.
4. He joined a clan at the end... that's what the whole fucking thing IRL resistance was. Guess that went right over.
5. They said someone opened the portal early on. Even being super fucking generous we could maybe say it's been three years and not a single person tried going backwards on a race the whole time. It was stupid.

It's funny because like most people I talk to, plus you, plus the reviewers I actually watch and myself all basically had the same idea.

Ok maybe the very first race you treat it like a normal race, but then you see the literally impassible King Kong and you probably try going backwards the second time around.

Also on that note, the race was open for years, presumably people were playing it for years, presumably arty played it many many times. Yet she still tries to crazy jump passed Kong and needs our "hero" to save her? It's actually such fucking bad writing.
Aug 22 2018 04:17am
1. Yes. That’s what they are referring to. If you have a better idea, please share.

2. The world is full of stupid people. It happens ALL the time.

3. It doesn’t need further explanation, it is such a minor detail in the movie and is already spelled out.

4. Does the book go further into clans? Yes, he joins the resistance, but that’s mostly because of art, and I do feel the resistance has way different motives than your typical ingame clan.

5. There’s a wall going backwards, visibly there is nothing to explore. You might think it was dumb, but logically the race moves forward progressively and you can see the finish line after kong.

The track looks like it changes each time. So that ramp that art tried to jump off may not have been there during previous races.

We also don’t know how long she has been racing. You need your own vehicle/gas and the movie doesn’t go into far enough detail to explain how much these things cost.

We see two races, there’s really not a whole lot of people in a single race. How often do races occur? If there are millions of people playing. Why aren’t there more people racing? Did everyone give up except for ioi?

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 22 2018 04:30am
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 22 2018 06:23am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Aug 22 2018 03:17am)
1. Yes. That’s what they are referring to. If you have a better idea, please share.

2. The world is full of stupid people. It happens ALL the time.

3. It doesn’t need further explanation, it is such a minor detail in the movie and is already spelled out.

4. Does the book go further into clans? Yes, he joins the resistance, but that’s mostly because of art, and I do feel the resistance has way different motives than your typical ingame clan.

5. There’s a wall going backwards, visibly there is nothing to explore. You might think it was dumb, but logically the race moves forward progressively and you can see the finish line after kong.

The track looks like it changes each time. So that ramp that art tried to jump off may not have been there during previous races.

We also don’t know how long she has been racing. You need your own vehicle/gas and the movie doesn’t go into far enough detail to explain how much these things cost.

We see two races, there’s really not a whole lot of people in a single race. How often do races occur? If there are millions of people playing. Why aren’t there more people racing? Did everyone give up except for ioi?

Art is the best Gunter in the Oasis... "We don't know how long she has raced" lol ok

"The track looks like it changes each time" he says confidently despite the fact that we only saw two races and the track was exactly the same both times.

"Nothing visibly to explore" how did you even find this website when you seem to have never played a video game in your life?

Also just because there are nerds out there that get infatuated with a person online in real life doesn't mean that using that as your romantic subplot is good writing. Oh and the fact that the person actually returned the feelings is also terrible writing and not a thing that ever actually happens.

As for 1 and 3 if have to rewatch the movie to give a better argument but I'm pretty sure you're wrong and us bad writing. I mean all evidence points in that direction...
Aug 22 2018 12:14pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 22 2018 05:23am)
Art is the best Gunter in the Oasis... "We don't know how long she has raced" lol ok

"The track looks like it changes each time" he says confidently despite the fact that we only saw two races and the track was exactly the same both times.

"Nothing visibly to explore" how did you even find this website when you seem to have never played a video game in your life?

Also just because there are nerds out there that get infatuated with a person online in real life doesn't mean that using that as your romantic subplot is good writing. Oh and the fact that the person actually returned the feelings is also terrible writing and not a thing that ever actually happens.

As for 1 and 3 if have to rewatch the movie to give a better argument but I'm pretty sure you're wrong and us bad writing. I mean all evidence points in that direction...

Boom.

But wait man, the argument now is that even though Gregarious systems is the most powerful corporation in the world, even though being the new CEO would make you the richest and most powerful man alive, even though they literally only have one product that's free to play, my assumption that at least 10-20% of the population is using it, was WAY OFF. Even though fucking Facebook has over 2 billion users, over 25% of the population, but a free software that people work in, go to school in, train in, and play in can't possibly have 10-20% of the population as users.

Your post was solid, but figured I'd stack on how painfully broken his reassoning tends to be, which of course directly correlates to why he likes the film in the first place.
Aug 22 2018 05:02pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 22 2018 12:23pm)

1. You DON'T know how long she has raced. You have NOTHING, NO evidence to back yourself up. So otherwise, don't argue about it.

2. I said that track could change each time by the opening scene of the race, it looks like the city shuffles.....you must have missed that detail....i'm not saying i'm right, but that's how it appears. why are you commenting about my video games habits?.... irrelevant.

3. I'm not justifying that the romance is good development, I'm saying it happens in real life. Go back and read my original statement about it.

going back to my 1, I REWATCHED the movie to prove you wrong. The scene is there, it exists. He "confesses" to being involved with the murder. You seem to have so much trouble connecting the dots in this movie.

I'm providing you guys with evidence, all you want to do is argue. Go back and watch the scenes, if you can interpret them in a different way, then we can talk about it. Just stop assuming you're right about everything by making shit up without any evidence.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 22 2018 05:13pm
Aug 22 2018 05:07pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 22 2018 06:14pm)
Boom.

But wait man, the argument now is that even though Gregarious systems is the most powerful corporation in the world, even though being the new CEO would make you the richest and most powerful man alive, even though they literally only have one product that's free to play, my assumption that at least 10-20% of the population is using it, was WAY OFF. Even though fucking Facebook has over 2 billion users, over 25% of the population, but a free software that people work in, go to school in, train in, and play in can't possibly have 10-20% of the population as users.

Your post was solid, but figured I'd stack on how painfully broken his reassoning tends to be, which of course directly correlates to why he likes the film in the first place.

I'm assuming that the majority of earthlings are in the Oasis, but we just don't see that. The majority of the race puzzle was IOI members.

Yet, for all we know the majority of Oasis users don't give a rats ass about finding the easter egg, or have given up. There are many, MANY questions that this movie doesn't answer....but it's a movie, and it has a time limit, and it simply cannot go into full detail about every single little aspect that we want.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 22 2018 05:16pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1789101114Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll