d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Crit Calculation > Lmk :)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,964.28
Aug 10 2018 02:58am
Hey folks,

I am wondering how crit chance (roughly) works.

What is normal crit chance? Depends on class / dex etc I guess?

I got those 2 axes:

Mystical bronze axe
Damage: 36 to 43

+60% Enhanced Effect
+1% Critical Flux
+8% Heal Mastery

Angelic bronze axe
Damage: 34 to 41

+53% Enhanced Effect
+2 Critical Strike
+1% Heal Mastery
+1% Wind Mastery

So which do you think is better for a rogue?

Thanks! :)
Gold: 433.48
Trader: Trusted
Aug 10 2018 07:14am
the second is better

but nobody knows how crit strike exactly works.

We know, that charms crit the most by default.
And melee weapon is that axes crit the most.

What I know from testing is, that daggers scale a lot better with crit strike than with dex
Gold: 15,282.74
Aug 10 2018 01:20pm
Quote (Ultimor @ Aug 10 2018 04:58am)
Hey folks,

I am wondering how crit chance (roughly) works.

What is normal crit chance? Depends on class / dex etc I guess?

I got those 2 axes:

Mystical bronze axe
Damage: 36 to 43

+60% Enhanced Effect
+1% Critical Flux
+8% Heal Mastery

Angelic bronze axe
Damage: 34 to 41

+53% Enhanced Effect
+2 Critical Strike
+1% Heal Mastery
+1% Wind Mastery

So which do you think is better for a rogue?

Thanks! :)

They're both about the same. At low levels crit can increase your damage dealt more than EE because EE is operating on very low base damage (with the stats you have you can see 7 ee adding only 2-2 damage). However, if you are 1-shotting everything until lvl 5 anyway, then maybe the extra crit damage is only cosmetic and not useful. Furthermore, it can reduce your effectiveness even if your damage dealt increases if you fail to 1-shot something by say, 1 or 2 HP that you would have killed in 1-hit with the first axe.

I'd recommend using the first axe, but really again... it doesn't matter much at these low levels.

Quote (Meridius @ Aug 10 2018 09:14am)
the second is better

but nobody knows how crit strike exactly works.

We know, that charms crit the most by default.
And melee weapon is that axes crit the most.

What I know from testing is, that daggers scale a lot better with crit strike than with dex

What Meridius is saying is mostly true, but there are many factors to consider.

The percentages for base crit rates are really quite strange... I've tested crit rates on multiple occasions and I actually got different results even with sample sizes verging on >1000 hits and keeping strength and dex constant (strength and dex both increase crit with individual diminishing returns, so that is also something to consider!)

But something like this is in the ballpark with average stats:

Dagger or club: ~2-3%
Sword or staff: ~5-8%
Axe: ~12-15%

Now, I suspect, but am not super sure, that crit chance is modified by a different % for these 3 categories of weapon types and also by a different % per point of str/dex. However, I really haven't tested this enough to know exactly how these play out.

These are the main things you should think about to maximize the usefulness of crit for your character, since it is a very powerful property, but needs some thought IMO:
1) Do you have high stats? If you have low stats, then each point of crit is actually doing less than it could be!
2) Does a crit even help you kill faster? If it's taking you 2+ hits to kill each monster, and you cannot increase stats sufficiently to make it drop to 1, then okay, crit's helping :) If you're 1-shotting everything, you can increase your damage dealt with crit, but it's not helping!!
3) Do you prefer reliable damage rather than unpredictable burst damage? If you want reliable damage, that doesn't mean crit is out. For example, crit with axes produces more reliable damage than even no crit with swords or clubs.

This post was edited by BWConformity on Aug 10 2018 01:23pm
Gold: 3,964.28
Aug 12 2018 05:27am
Thanks for the detailed response - helped a lot! :)
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll