d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Wireless Router Recommendations?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 8 2018 02:31pm
would like something under 100 dollars
Gold: 25.00
Aug 8 2018 02:47pm
How large is the home?
How many devices are connected to it?
What's the internet use like in your house? i.e. streaming multiple videos + gaming?

What's your internet speed / internet?
Is it Cable, etc.?
Gold: 220.74
Aug 10 2018 07:45am
Quote (Victim @ Aug 8 2018 03:47pm)
How large is the home?
How many devices are connected to it?
What's the internet use like in your house? i.e. streaming multiple videos + gaming?

What's your internet speed / internet?
Is it Cable, etc.?

I'll hijack this because I need one too.

Devices lets say 1 computer directly wired into it, 5 mobile phones, 1 xbox, 1 smart tv, 1 multimedia device

Use would be streaming netflix type stuff, gaming on xbox, and gaming on computer. Streaming streams for football games and stuff when they arent on TV

Cable internet, 100mb/s but I believe they just bumped it to 200mb/s but I would want something future proof to up to 1gb/s over wifi

Whatchu got? Trying to spend around 100 or less if possible.
Aug 10 2018 08:01am
Quote (bensfriend2 @ 10 Aug 2018 09:45)
I'll hijack this because I need one too.

Devices lets say 1 computer directly wired into it, 5 mobile phones, 1 xbox, 1 smart tv, 1 multimedia device

Use would be streaming netflix type stuff, gaming on xbox, and gaming on computer. Streaming streams for football games and stuff when they arent on TV

Cable internet, 100mb/s but I believe they just bumped it to 200mb/s but I would want something future proof to up to 1gb/s over wifi

Whatchu got? Trying to spend around 100 or less if possible.

Less than $100 for a router that can actually handle everything effectively is a rough task.

I would say here are the specs you want to look for in a router, and if you find a deal on one that fits, then that's great!

First off, you must get an AC router. I can provide more information on that if needed.
Second, I would recommend a tri-band router. This will give you one 2.4ghz channel and 2x 5ghz channels. That will make sure that your channels don't get clocked down, slowing down network speed, etc.

Linksys has some great products you can catch certified refurbished for less than $200.
Gold: 220.74
Aug 10 2018 09:45am
Quote (Victim @ Aug 10 2018 09:01am)
Less than $100 for a router that can actually handle everything effectively is a rough task.

I would say here are the specs you want to look for in a router, and if you find a deal on one that fits, then that's great!

First off, you must get an AC router. I can provide more information on that if needed.
Second, I would recommend a tri-band router. This will give you one 2.4ghz channel and 2x 5ghz channels. That will make sure that your channels don't get clocked down, slowing down network speed, etc.

Linksys has some great products you can catch certified refurbished for less than $200.

Please do provide information on AC routers. I've never heard the term before.

Maybe link the one youd recommend at any pricepoint so I can use that as the ideal router to look at.
Aug 10 2018 10:25am
Quote (bensfriend2 @ 10 Aug 2018 11:45)
Please do provide information on AC routers. I've never heard the term before.

Maybe link the one youd recommend at any pricepoint so I can use that as the ideal router to look at.

Here is a brief explanation that I found that generally covers why you need an AC router: https://www.flashrouters.com/learn/router-basics/what-is-wireless-ac

People generally refer to all Wireless Internet as WiFi, but, as with a lot of technical jargon, the term "WiFi" is often misused. Are you one of those people constantly asking: Why is my Internet and/or WiFi so slow?!? You may be surprised to hear this, but it is often not the Internet provider’s fault. It all comes down to the power of the router you are using.

The fact of the matter is that there is no current wireless networking standard that can compare, performance-wise, to Wireless-AC (802.11ac). Wireless-AC can transmit wireless at rates more than 6x the best Wireless-N devices, and 100x the best Wireless-G devices. In an age of streaming media and online gaming, Wireless-AC is not just a luxury: it is the networking standard you need and deserve.

Why Should You Upgrade to Wireless-AC from Wireless-G or Wireless-N?
Hanging onto an older Wireless-G router means you are sacrificing overall speed and security while hindering the wireless capabilities for newer devices.

Using a Wireless-G router with an iPhone iPad may feel like trying to catching a fish with a rock: it may eventually work, but it is certainly not the most efficient way to get the job done. This is not an iPhone-6-to-iPhone-6S-type upgrade, where your device is a little bit sleeker device and you have a few new features to play with. When a wireless standard is jumped, you are talking about MAJOR wireless connectivity improvements.

Explaining Wireless-AC Advantages
Bandwidth
Wireless-AC has wider bandwidth capabilities of 80 MHz (and an optional 160 MHz). By comparison, Wireless-N’s bandwidth was only 20 or 40 MHz. Imagine the MHz as lanes on a highway: 20 MHz represents 2 lanes and 80 MHz represents 8 lanes. The more lanes available, the larger the amount of data that can pass through simultaneously, thus allowing for maximum performance connection speed.

Multi Input Multi Output (MU-MIMO)
MIMO isn’t new, but MU-MIMO allows communication with 4 different devices at the same time where you only used to be able to connect one. No longer is there a queue of connectivity on a router waiting for availability. With Wireless-AC, more devices can connect instantly to a single router, with less interference or disruptions.

Staying Above the Wireless Clutter
Wireless-AC focuses its power by running on the 5 GHz frequency band. The 2.4 GHz band used by Wireless-N & Wireless-G is cluttered with signal interference from cordless phones, Bluetooth headsets/keyboards, baby monitors, neighboring wireless networks, remote door openers, and even microwaves, to name a few disruptive devices. Just about anything wireless thing in your home builds the level of interference, but 5 GHz rises above that din and avoids being affected.

Here is a pretty good overall AC router example on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC3200-Tri-Band-Wireless-Gigabit-AiProtection/dp/B00XJKH67I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1533918022&sr=8-9&keywords=triband+ac+router
Gold: 0.00
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll