d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Need More Case Fans > What To Buy?
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 68.00
Aug 5 2018 05:17pm
Quote (Ghot @ Aug 5 2018 06:03pm)
Yeah, thx to the great product pics at Newegg.com we can see that those fans come with the lag type screws. They will self thread into the holes in the fan.

The lag type screws are just a teeny bit bigger than the holes in the fan, and have really sharp threads. they are "self threading".

https://i.imgur.com/fXEROdq.png

/e Have a little faith. I've probably put in and removed only about 1000 case fans. :)

I have a full tower case that has 7 fans, all with the self threading screws. Even my two fan CPU cooler, uses the same method. :)

https://i.imgur.com/Hw9yLlH.png

I'm gonna go ahead and order two of them.
I just checked all the screws my case came with again, and none go into the fan or the bracket.

Thank you very much for the help <3

This post was edited by Tawph on Aug 5 2018 05:22pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Aug 5 2018 05:22pm
Quote (Tawph @ Aug 5 2018 07:17pm)
I'm gonna go ahead and order two of them.
I just checked all the screws my case came with again, and none go into the fan or the bracket.

Like I said. Don't worry. The way we attach fans to a case is: screw through chassis, into fan. The chassis will just be a hole.
If I wasn't lazy I'd take a pic of the bag filled with old fan screws, I've collected over the years. I probably have about 75-80 of em by now. :D

The black hand made pic up above is how they will attach. You will hold the fan up from the inside and put the screw through the hole in the bracket and screw it into the fan hole.
The fans on top should be exhaust (blowing out of the case) as well. there will be little arrows on the side of the fan shroud. One is for rotation and the other is for direction of airflow.
Gold: 68.00
Aug 5 2018 05:25pm
Quote (Ghot @ Aug 5 2018 06:22pm)
Like I said. Don't worry. The way we attach fans to a case is: screw through chassis, into fan. The chassis will just be a hole.
If I wasn't lazy I'd take a pic of the bag filled with old fan screws, I've collected over the years. I probably have about 75-80 of em by now. :D

The black hand made pic up above is how they will attach. You will hold the fan up from the inside and put the screw through the hole in the bracket and screw it into the fan hole.
The fans on top should be exhaust (blowing out of the case) as well. there will be little arrows on the side of the fan shroud. One is for rotation and the other is for direction of airflow.

I currently have the front to fans on the radiator exhaust, should I switch them to intake? Or make one intake and one exhaust?
The back fan is intake. I was thinking to make the back fan exhaust because theres no dust filter on the back panel.

e/
Also I might need extension cables for the fans. Do you have an idea of which ones I should buy? I don't want the fan cables to be too short when I try to manage the cables to look nice.

This post was edited by Tawph on Aug 5 2018 05:29pm
Gold: 18,352.00
Aug 5 2018 06:34pm
Quote (Tawph @ Aug 5 2018 06:25pm)
I currently have the front to fans on the radiator exhaust, should I switch them to intake? Or make one intake and one exhaust?
The back fan is intake. I was thinking to make the back fan exhaust because theres no dust filter on the back panel.

e/
Also I might need extension cables for the fans. Do you have an idea of which ones I should buy? I don't want the fan cables to be too short when I try to manage the cables to look nice.

:bonk:

back and top are exhausts fronts/ sides / bottom are intakes

This post was edited by King Atrhur on Aug 5 2018 06:35pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Aug 5 2018 07:21pm
Quote (Tawph @ Aug 5 2018 07:25pm)

e/

Here's 11" extension cables that will work with either 3 or 4 pin fans... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFMH7K70282&cm_re=3_pin_fan_extension_cable-_-12-162-060-_-Product

As for fans... rear exhaust, top exhaust, front intake (radiator). If you can run the radiator in a push/pull configuration, that would be better. <----- fans/radiator/fans all blowing into the case.

IF you decide to go push/pull on your radiator, get two of these as well. They are radiator fans: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181106 <--- 2 pack
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll