d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Desperately Looking For Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 18,115.00
Aug 3 2018 08:08am
I really want to write something cool. It doesn't have to be useful at all but I would be delighted if it was.
I have completely no idea what I can write, I'm bored of codewars-like sites and their exercises. Programming challenges lists are in large part boring and useless.
Looking for advices or ideas :cry:
Gold: 3,804.50
Aug 4 2018 11:24pm
if you browse the web a lot, look into tampermonkey. run your own javascript on other people's site to make them easier to use. i've got scripts that block users on forums, show narrators on audible library, show genre for books on goodreads, show books available at my library, etc etc.

one of my side projects i never got around to was to add collections back to youtube. instead of seeing all my subscriptions in one place, i wanna see separate places for music subscriptions vs movie subscriptions vs chess subscriptions etc.
Gold: 824.00
Aug 6 2018 02:25pm
Check on some courses on Udemy and look into the course content to see what projects the course covers.

Some python courses cover projects like web-scrapers which are great to show on your resume.
Some nodejs courses cover projects like creating a REST API and chat-app's which is also very job-relevant.
And some frontend courses cover creating beautiful dynamic websites.

And the courses are super cheap! $12 for a course that teaches you $100k+ skills. Worth it? Yes!

Lastly dont give up! There are LOADS of free/paid resources out there to help you ramp up your skills...you just gotta start the hunt ;)
Gold: 0.00
Aug 6 2018 02:54pm
I've done a lot of programming in VB (Started out using AutoIt3) about 6-7 years ago just as a hobby. Here recently I learned MySQL and database management.

The world that opens up is amazing. If you've ever used .Ini files for configs or anything like that to be able to use a database to store info ect. and the cleanliness + efficiency is bar none. If you haven't done anything like this I'd say go for it.

I'm currently making a Movie database/program.

So it'll hold info like;

Movie Name
Movie Category
Movie Year
Movie Rating
Movie Location

So each movie will have an entry in a DB with all this location that a simple search will bring it up.

Good luck!
Gold: 10.00
Sep 27 2018 08:35pm
Quote (pzold @ Aug 3 2018 10:08am)
I really want to write something cool. It doesn't have to be useful at all but I would be delighted if it was.
I have completely no idea what I can write, I'm bored of codewars-like sites and their exercises. Programming challenges lists are in large part boring and useless.
Looking for advices or ideas :cry:

Try digging deeper into what youre good at.

Eventually you will be beyond the scope of what exists and you will make true progress.

Practice ought not feel boring, it should be tough.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll