d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > When It Comes To Known Issues
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.69
Jul 20 2018 08:56am
How do you choose what to address first?

I bought a car that happened to have one owner.
In the glove box was every single service paper. It's only ever been to its dealership since new.

I sorted the folded papers by mileage and I noticed that there were a few estimates on

Trans cooler lines
P/S lines
seat belt pretension (drivers - and its kinda gross)

when it comes to important things, the trans lines I think I should do first, and because theyre cheap the labor is just going to suck cause I dont want to do it.
the power steering rack lines, thats like 375 in labor cause the subframe gets dropped.

I mean.. its only seeping. but I should think about replacing them.
I'm getting under it tomorrow (first day off since ownership)
and I'll be able to put it in the air and see if theres anything leaking/seeping/loose

I guess my initial thoughts are to just do it all at once or I just do it by severity

knowing is half the battle

When I went to look at it the battery was dead, and the owner said there was trouble with the ignition because the old man had forced the key from the ignition
so
I have a new cylinder coded to the existent key and went to work pulling the cover around the ignition
I install the new cylinder with no trouble, but it wont give me the key.
thought is the shift lever isnt in park all the way even though it seemingly is
take center console apart to push button and allow for shifting into neutral so I could tow it
think wth lets put the battery in it
install new battery
key is let go from ignition
?????
puts key in ignition and it starts right up

I got like 4 grand off the price because they didnt know the ignition was "okay" it was just the battery.
go figure.

This post was edited by hunter_1 on Jul 20 2018 08:57am
Gold: 137.01
Jul 20 2018 09:30am
Quote (hunter_1 @ Jul 20 2018 07:56am)
How do you choose what to address first?

Basic acronym any mechanic should follow: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Troubleshooting seems to be a lost art lately since there’s so many “parts changers” that think they’re master mechanics.

In your case you should always follow the known problems first and then go from there.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll