d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Car Battery
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 18 2018 03:24pm
1999 Hyundai Tiburon FX AT
as soon as i fixed up the suspension, a different problem has arisen.

you can skip this section and read the direct question below if you wish.

when car is running, if i press the brake or turn lights on... i get a very brief and immediate power drop. the radio turns off for a brief second every time.
it's not a continuing problem if the brakes are held down or lights stay on. just when i first touch the brake or turn lights on.

there have also been some random moments when i turn my car off, some lights on the dash are very very faintly showing. i have not been able to replicate this issue the passed few weeks. so idk.
there have also been some random moments that i had to jump my car, and lose every ounce of power as soon as i turn the car off again.

so i'm now trying to determine if it's a ground issue, bad battery cell or alternator.

i do not believe it's the alternator. not only is that somewhat new. but i have a trickle charger that also gauges a bad battery or alternator. the first 2 hours on the trickle it showed the battery was bad.
after that it started raising to acceptable levels, so idk about that either... it never showed a problem with the alternator though.
my car also runs as long as i want it to after a jump, so i'm just leaning away from alternator.

i do own a volt-meter and have tried finding issues, but have only been able to get an issue once.
1 time the volts dropped while running from 14 to 7 from red to black battery posts. this has only happened once and i have not recorded any off readings before or after that.

i've talked about this with a couple guys in the business and both confirmed it still could be a ground issue or bad battery cell.

so i figured i'd buy a battery and start from there, as it is 5 years old now.
there are only 2-3 batteries i'm finding that technically are for my car. they are all over $100 though.
i'm curious if i need to stick with these batteries, or can i use pretty much any top post with similar cranking amps?
Gold: 3.75
Jul 19 2018 01:40am

good luck
Gold: 2,354.50
Jul 19 2018 09:30am
What did you do to fix up the suspension? Was the car grounded for awhile during that repair?
Gold: 533.37
Jul 19 2018 02:07pm
take the battery off and have it tested? if it tests good then go from there. if it tests bad replace and see if you still experience the problems.

as to your battery question im not familiar with the car but make sure the length width and height of the battery is close if you have clearance issues where it mounts including hold downs or hitting anything else. if yours is top post get another top post and get as close to the same cranking amps and cold cranking amps or higher dont go lower
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 20 2018 03:47pm
Quote (night_throne @ Jul 19 2018 02:40am)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
good luck

this was a good video. i've watched a few videos prior to this that lacked some necessary info.

Quote (ReturnOfCar @ Jul 19 2018 10:30am)
What did you do to fix up the suspension? Was the car grounded for awhile during that repair?

inner and outer tie-rods, lower control arms. i then had an alignment done.
i have not yet done the welding on the sub-frame needed. so i'd have to say no
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll