d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Anyone Have Experience With Golf Carts?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,861.95
Jul 11 2018 06:33pm
Picked up an old yamaha cart for real cheap and am trying to fix it up. I have next to no info on this thing.

From the serial number I've found it's a late 70s early 80s cart; yamaha g1

The previous owner was messing around and believes he shorted some wires when installing headlights or a horn or whatever.

The cart will run and move however it will not kick the gas engine in
It has no spark but the pulse is there. Replaced the coil and plug to be safe.

I was leaning towards the CDI box but I hate throwing parts at things especially when they're not cheap at all.

Does anyone have some information? I've called around here and not much help has come out of it.
Gold: 533.37
Jul 12 2018 03:27pm
have you tried shorting out the solenoid to see if it starts the engine?

also a cheaper alternative to a 200 dollar cdi box if you are knowledgeable with wiring stuff is right here

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-yamaha/37607-cheap-g1-cdi-20-16-a.html
Gold: 1,861.95
Jul 12 2018 04:32pm
Quote (LukeTheDrifter @ Jul 12 2018 03:27pm)
have you tried shorting out the solenoid to see if it starts the engine?

also a cheaper alternative to a 200 dollar cdi box if you are knowledgeable with wiring stuff is right here

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-yamaha/37607-cheap-g1-cdi-20-16-a.html

I'm not totally familiar with these systems.. they're based around a starter generator. From my understanding there are 2 solenoids 1 for forward and 1 for reverse. The cart will drive normally however it will only limp on the electric drive. There's a harsh fuel smell because of it not combusting the gases because of the no spark. So I think those solenoids are ok but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the link I appreciate it! We were hoping to get this cart fixed by tonight (it's our tow vehicle for our dragster) so I'm going to run some more tests and check the ignition cut outs. If not I guess we run with no tow vehicle and order those parts up from that link
Gold: 533.37
Jul 13 2018 12:25pm
Quote (Wimp @ Jul 12 2018 05:32pm)
I'm not totally familiar with these systems.. they're based around a starter generator. From my understanding there are 2 solenoids 1 for forward and 1 for reverse. The cart will drive normally however it will only limp on the electric drive. There's a harsh fuel smell because of it not combusting the gases because of the no spark. So I think those solenoids are ok but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the link I appreciate it! We were hoping to get this cart fixed by tonight (it's our tow vehicle for our dragster) so I'm going to run some more tests and check the ignition cut outs. If not I guess we run with no tow vehicle and order those parts up from that link

my mother in law had a yamaha early 90s i think and i was having to try to diagnose problems on it where it randomly quit running. they can be a real pain to try to find good info and parts on them.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll