d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Increased Profile Size > 10,000+
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 10 2018 11:21am
As of now our profile pages are limited to 10,000 characters. My suggestion is to increase this limit...

I've come to find that some members (myself included) like to use the profile page to keep track of things such as donations, item history, ect - http://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?i=874704
For example, I have a section labeled about me, helpful links, ect, ect. At this point I have 9286/10,000, I tried to change the format of my layout and ended up with 11,000+ characters and was unable to make any more changes at this time.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever run into a problem with it being limited to 10,000 characters... Is this something that should be implemented?

This post was edited by Stories on Jul 10 2018 11:22am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 229,344.43
Trader: Mediator
Jul 11 2018 01:49am
Any limit increase would be sooner or later reached aswell. Considering 10k characters are already a lot (unfortunately just counting spaces aswell).

Having no limit would lead to abuse so this wouldn’t be an option.

Workaround:
You could make an image with a transparent background listing your donators and then just use this image in your profile. If I am right the image just counts as many characters you need to write the BB-Code. Of course hyper links wouldn’t work with this.

Otherwhise do it like anybody else running out of space and only list 100 Fg+ donations for example. And just leave a note with the reason behind it.
Jul 11 2018 01:55am
I don’t think there’s a lot of people that would read profiles bigger than 10000 characters

Also find profile itself rather useless besides maybe shorter bios for those who wants to share it

Allowing more would make people flood the cap harder as well.

This post was edited by ChrissyCostanza on Jul 11 2018 01:57am
Gold: 2,848.72
Warn: 80%
Jul 11 2018 04:29pm
100k plus or na
Jul 14 2018 11:21am
If I remember correctly, we used to have a larger capacity at one time and it was reduced to 10,000.

Maybe have a paid option to increase our profile size, similar to our friends slots or media slots for example.

Quote (Cel @ Jul 11 2018 03:49am)
Any limit increase would be sooner or later reached aswell. Considering 10k characters are already a lot (unfortunately just counting spaces aswell).

Having no limit would lead to abuse so this wouldn’t be an option.

Workaround:
You could make an image with a transparent background listing your donators and then just use this image in your profile. If I am right the image just counts as many characters you need to write the BB-Code. Of course hyper links wouldn’t work with this.

Otherwhise do it like anybody else running out of space and only list 100 Fg+ donations for example. And just leave a note with the reason behind it.

You make a good point, I've made a few changes to my profile at this time that works for me.

Quote (ChrissyCostanza @ Jul 11 2018 03:55am)
I don’t think there’s a lot of people that would read profiles bigger than 10000 characters

Also find profile itself rather useless besides maybe shorter bios for those who wants to share it

Not sure what your trying to say exactly :(

A profile with more then 10, 000 characters would be too big an no one would read it? That's just silly, of course people would still read them, Lol.

Quote (Xistz @ Jul 11 2018 06:29pm)
100k plus or na

I think 100,000 would be a bit much, that's not what I'm saying at all. I disagree with this.

This post was edited by Stories on Jul 14 2018 11:22am
Jul 23 2018 11:37pm
I like the idea, but I wish you thought it out more for your original post.
The concept of it being a paid feature is a good idea. This helps to prevent abuse like many of the above were saying, and creates another gold sink.
Like other paid profile features, you could limit how many times you are able to expand your profile limit. This further reduces the potential for abuse.

For example, 500 fg for an additional 2000 characters, with a maximum character limit of 20000 characters, or 5 upgrade purchases.
This allows people who are willing to invest their fg into their profile up to double the current space for improved customization.

Just because someone uses 20000 characters in their profile doesn't mean you'll necessarily see that many.
In fact, you may see even less than 10000 depending on how deep their customization goes, and even less if someone wanted to make a fading/rainbow text in their profile.

From previous experience, there is an image limit for your profile - though I don't remember the exact number.
Unless it has been changed since the last time I've modified my profile, when you exceed the limit, excess images will only be displayed as links.
In addition to that, simply making your images larger to fit more of what you want also reduces image quality and/or increases image file size.
The images in my profile can attest to that.
Jul 25 2018 11:41am
Quote (Kokua @ Jul 24 2018 01:37am)
I like the idea, but I wish you thought it out more for your original post.
The concept of it being a paid feature is a good idea. This helps to prevent abuse like many of the above were saying, and creates another gold sink.
Like other paid profile features, you could limit how many times you are able to expand your profile limit. This further reduces the potential for abuse.

For example, 500 fg for an additional 2000 characters, with a maximum character limit of 20000 characters, or 5 upgrade purchases.
This allows people who are willing to invest their fg into their profile up to double the current space for improved customization.

Just because someone uses 20000 characters in their profile doesn't mean you'll necessarily see that many.
In fact, you may see even less than 10000 depending on how deep their customization goes, and even less if someone wanted to make a fading/rainbow text in their profile.

From previous experience, there is an image limit for your profile - though I don't remember the exact number.
Unless it has been changed since the last time I've modified my profile, when you exceed the limit, excess images will only be displayed as links.
In addition to that, simply making your images larger to fit more of what you want also reduces image quality and/or increases image file size.
The images in my profile can attest to that.

Very well said, thanks for your input. That would be a great idea and something I would vote yes for. I like your profile setup by the way ;)
Jul 25 2018 11:47am
Use a blog to keep track of donations?
Retired Moderator
Gold: 9,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 25 2018 02:03pm
I'd approve of this if it were a customer perk, but not a server-wide addition. If every user innately had access to that much space it would cause more memory to be used unnecessarily, at least that's the thought process going through my head.

Having it as a perk would keep the volume low for the server, and keep those who truly want it happy. I know 10$ is a lot of money to some, I've been there, but if you're invested in the site to the point you feel the need to go beyond 10k (I might fall into that category soon), then another "subscription" shouldn't seem that otherworldly. You gain some other nifty things with it as well :)

Let me know what you think about my train of thought!
Part of me suggests it this way so that it could potentially fast-track or give this suggestion a fighting chance... as opposed to endlessly bumping for decades.

Quote (Japrone @ Jul 25 2018 01:47pm)
Use a blog to keep track of donations?

Maybe if this suggestion was in effect, otherwise you're left with a new post for every donation, or months in between posting to allow for enough new data to justify an addition.

This post was edited by OverDoSex on Jul 25 2018 02:05pm
Gold: 54,383.61
Jul 26 2018 03:14pm
Quote (ChrissyCostanza @ Jul 10 2018 11:55pm)

this...so a no from me
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll