d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Newbie Tips For Staying Alive In Hardcore
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,228.00
Jun 20 2018 01:48pm
Hey guys - after a couple heart-stoppingly close calls this season on hardcore, I realized that all of my near-deaths happened under the exact same circumstances. So I thought it might be helpful to write the top 5-6 things to look out for when playing in hell on hardcore (especially when undergeared / magic finding). Some of these might be obvious for a lot of you - if so I apologize. Just hoping that a few people might be able to benefit from what I've learned.

We are always in danger when playing on hardcore mode, and so you need to be prepared to take a lot of hits from monsters (elemental, physical, burst damage, and poison damage). However, if you play smart there are only really a few key things to look out for that will legitimately put your character's life at risk. Especially when you encounter multiple of these effects / monsters, that is how 90% of characters I've seen will die in this game.

1. Fire Enchanted / Lightning Enchanted / Cold enchanted: Especially in hell, FE monsters can deal insane damage even with 75% fire resist. Make sure to stay far away when they are close to death.
2. Amplify Damage / Conviction: These are by far the most dangerous curse and aura. If you are under the effects of either one of these, you have to play extra conservatively because now your character is below the threshold of safety. A FE explosion or volley of LE charged bolts can easily deal 1-2k+ damage to your character.
3. Dolls / Tomb Vipers: These type of monsters deal significant burst damage from close range. Even without the additional effects of a curse / aura, just a few can kill your character when you take multiple hits at the exact same time. The only real advice I can give is to have maxed resistances and be extra careful in areas where they can spawn.
4. Souls / Skeleton archers / Spear cats: These monsters can deal significant burst damage from long range. The real danger here is not in taking a single projectile, but the fact that (especially when teleporting) when you move into range they will all attack at the exact same moment - which means you can be taking a single volley of 15-20 projectiles. Especially for an undergeared sorc doing mf runs (say in frigid highlands), and the fact that often times these projectiles can be hard to see, you need to exercise increased vigilance in these situations.
5. Extra strong and multiple shots: I put this one last because they are difficult modifiers to recognize (since there is no visible aura or sound), however you will definitely notice when you are taking hits from monsters with these attributes.
**Extra strong monsters deal 2.5 times more damage, and their minions deal 1.75 more damage.
**Multiple shot monsters release 3 projectiles instead of 1. This also means for LE monsters they will release 3 bolts instead of 1.

So that's it! Because you can't realistically be vigilant 100% of the time, as long are you are extra mindful when you encounter one of the above, you will significantly increase your chances of safety when playing hardcore - as again from my experience it is usually not one but multiple of these effects / monsters that lead to a character death.

If you have anything to add, please feel free to let me know as I'm still learning a lot about this game and would be happy to have additional feedback. Thanks and be safe!!
Gold: 0.00
Jun 21 2018 12:22am
You listed the common ones. The less common ones that get even the best of us are things like:
- Double boss spawns w/ Conviction + getting hit w/ two Frost Novas after being weakened from the initial fight
- Double boss spawns w/ Fanat+Might+Amp+other nasty mods
- Having terrible luck and consecutively missing 1 block (25% chance), 2 blocks (6% chance) or 3 blocks (1.5% chance) while fighting the aforementioned mob
- Throne room door trap, where you'll likely encounter an INSANE mob once every 500 runs
- Kurast temple door trap, the only place in the game I know of where it's possible for a bosspack to spawn directly on top of the player

More common causes of death you didnt include are:
- Summoner in normal mode
- Nilathak if you don't know what you're doing
- Archers w/ nasty mods, especially after getting complacent after hundreds of Pit runs
- Hellforge boss who commonly spawns w/ Extra Strong + Amp + Fanat
- Conviction souls at Throne door / heavily concentrated outside WSK2 WP. Fortunately these are easily countered with a column of LRSCs for stacked res.
- Merc popping a doll during blind tele, if the explosion crits, then you get FHRd best-case and die worst case (i.e. while amped or wearing shitty gear or both). Can be mitigated by capping merc's damage so he doesn't 1hko dolls.
Gold: 6,228.00
Jun 21 2018 08:27am
Quote (Recharge @ 20 Jun 2018 22:22)
You listed the common ones. The less common ones that get even the best of us are things like:
- Double boss spawns w/ Conviction + getting hit w/ two Frost Novas after being weakened from the initial fight
- Double boss spawns w/ Fanat+Might+Amp+other nasty mods
- Having terrible luck and consecutively missing 1 block (25% chance), 2 blocks (6% chance) or 3 blocks (1.5% chance) while fighting the aforementioned mob
- Throne room door trap, where you'll likely encounter an INSANE mob once every 500 runs
- Kurast temple door trap, the only place in the game I know of where it's possible for a bosspack to spawn directly on top of the player

More common causes of death you didnt include are:
- Summoner in normal mode
- Nilathak if you don't know what you're doing
- Archers w/ nasty mods, especially after getting complacent after hundreds of Pit runs
- Hellforge boss who commonly spawns w/ Extra Strong + Amp + Fanat
- Conviction souls at Throne door / heavily concentrated outside WSK2 WP. Fortunately these are easily countered with a column of LRSCs for stacked res.
- Merc popping a doll during blind tele, if the explosion crits, then you get FHRd best-case and die worst case (i.e. while amped or wearing shitty gear or both). Can be mitigated by capping merc's damage so he doesn't 1hko dolls.

Thanks - those are really great tips, many of which I did not know. I haven't seen the kurast temple trap yet, but I think it also might be possible in other locations where there are multiple levels (I have for example seen it on countess runs on floors 2-4).
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll