d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Cannabis
Prev167891068Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 22 2018 08:36am
Quote (excellence @ Jun 22 2018 08:24am)
govt needs to make all the personal decisions for him and all brits. also no memes allowed until uk leaves the eu, otherwise you get a year in jail. after which they will be punishable by death

the UK, a place where u can vlog your rape trial, get off for religious reasons, then go to jail for filming it.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 22 2018 08:37am
Gold: 1,307.69
Jun 22 2018 08:43am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Jun 22 2018 09:43am)
You don't truly believe in freedom if you don't believe people have the right to take things that are bad for them.

People who are degenerate stoners or drug addicts in general aren't magically a product of marijuana in most cases, it's just those people are predisposed or been conditioned to those behaviors.

Just like with alcohol , some people probably shouldn't be drinking. Marijuana is no different that for some people , they probably shouldn't be doing it.

I entirely agree that people should be free to take stuff that’s bad for them. The problem I see is that, as a society, an immense share of our income taxes goes towards helping people who knew damn well they were hurting their health.

Smoke and drink all you want, I don’t mind; I just don’t like paying for your lung cancer and cirrhosis treatment.
Jun 22 2018 08:48am
Quote (Chainsaw47 @ Jun 22 2018 08:43am)
I entirely agree that people should be free to take stuff that’s bad for them. The problem I see is that, as a society, an immense share of our income taxes goes towards helping people who knew damn well they were hurting their health.

Smoke and drink all you want, I don’t mind; I just don’t like paying for your lung cancer and cirrhosis treatment.

i'm sure scaly agrees that all the taxes he pays being a professional student shouldn't go to people who smoke weed, even though he likely doesn't have the same stance on being overweight.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 22 2018 08:51am
Gold: 0.00
Jun 22 2018 11:01am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ 22 Jun 2018 13:43)
You don't truly believe in freedom if you don't believe people have the right to take things that are bad for them.

I don't know how many times I have to state this - I don't believe in freedom or democracy. I believe in limited freedom and democracy as an advisory practice to government.

I don't know why people are still surprised to find out I have fascist leanings.

Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Jun 2018 11:57)
scaly, you're fervently anti recreational use? TIL

Ehhh... In practice not so much. It's odd. I'm ok with people having an occasional smoke. I just don't think the govt should encourage it.
Jun 22 2018 11:10am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 22 2018 11:01am)
I don't know how many times I have to state this - I don't believe in freedom or democracy. I believe in limited freedom and democracy as an advisory practice to government.

I don't know why people are still surprised to find out I have fascist leanings.

Ehhh... In practice not so much. It's odd. I'm ok with people having an occasional smoke. I just don't think the govt should encourage it.

the government is binary. things are either legal or illegal. even when they release PSAs on littering they're discouraging already illegal behavior. i get that making something legal that was illegal could be construed that way, but then that means the Saudi govt is encouraging women to drive. something we both know is a lie.
Jun 22 2018 11:14am
Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Jun 2018 17:10)
the government is binary. things are either legal or illegal. even when they release PSAs on littering they're discouraging already illegal behavior. i get that making something legal that was illegal could be construed that way, but then that means the Saudi govt is encouraging women to drive. something we both know is a lie.

Saudi is a theocracy and therefore a poor comparison.
Here state law is less impeded by religion when it comes to encouraging cultural shifts. In America too I'd imagine although to a lesser degree in places like Utah.
Jun 22 2018 11:17am
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 22 2018 11:14am)
Saudi is a theocracy and therefore a poor comparison.
Here state law is less impeded by religion when it comes to encouraging cultural shifts. In America too I'd imagine although to a lesser degree in places like Utah.

i see them as a better comparison than one might think, given the radically different governments.

most of the antipot arguments in the US are being made by the conservative religious types, Jeff Sessions at the forefront. The guy who goes biblical with justifications on the regular.

i know very little about UK pot norms tho.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 22 2018 11:29am
Jun 22 2018 11:43am
Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Jun 2018 17:17)
i see them as a better comparison than one might think, given the radically different governments.

most of the antipot arguments in the US are being made by the conservative religious types, Jeff Sessions at the forefront. The guy who goes biblical with justifications on the regular.

i know very little about UK pot norms tho.

I'm definitely not religious lol.

As for Jeff Sessions - People are extremely partisan. If one side puts forth an argument the other has to be against it. It's become part of the 'liberal' platform to legalise weed. If you're against it you're scorned by the left.

My argument comes from seeing the harm that can be done by cannabis. It ruins lives. Psychotic breaks are no joke and schizophrenia is often a death sentence. An awful, drawn out death through potentially years of mental torture.

I think we should make moves towards making smoking and drinking excessively less socially acceptable too. I believe we're on that road with smoking. There is definitely still a really shitty drink culture here in the UK and in the US from what I can tell.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jun 22 2018 11:47am
Gold: 19.00
Jun 22 2018 12:05pm
Quote (Scaly @ Jun 22 2018 05:57am)
:rofl:
The rage essay XD

'You have a different opinion than me - you must be ill-informed. It's laughable'

Because that's what we do with medicines that have potential for abuse.

Yea. I know. That's why I'm ok with it being used as a medicine when prescribed by a doctor.

Number 1 'gotcha' argument from stoners and wasters. Yes - those things are legal. They probably wouldn't be if we introduced them today. That's no reason to legalise every controlled substance.

Hardly see why I should have to provide evidence to someone as well informed on the subject as yourself. I mean surely you know about the links between cannabis and severe mental disorders, depression, anxiety and paranoia and general cognitive impairments? Or you've read the studies that demonstrate a link between the amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and the chance of those ill-effects occurring?
I can link studies if you want but I really shouldn't have to unless you're so ill-informed about it that it's laughable.

Uhhh okay? On a developing brain, that is. But regardless your point is the same as me linking lung cancer and cigarettes together.
Also, I don't believe those conditions have ever killed anybody, other than someone taking themselves. How often do you read on the news "STONER KILLS HIMSELF BECAUSE HE HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK AND WAS TOO HIGH"
Please. The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot, especially in a developed brain.

Also what you're describing is probably quite the minority, you probably have a better chance of dying in a car crash than developing any sort of serious mental illness from cannabis.

This post was edited by Bassist on Jun 22 2018 12:22pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 22 2018 12:17pm
If marijuana is legal than the government has to get out of health care (subsidies etc). Moral hazard and such.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891068Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll