d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Oig Report Watch Thread
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,186.49
Jun 14 2018 08:23am
the reports have officially started, so I think it deserves a thread of its own, here's to seeing whether it brings any hot revelations like the last report or is nothingburger
but to start it off, we have bloomberg:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-14/comey-broke-from-fbi-procedures-in-clinton-probe-watchdog-finds

/e bloomberg's editors are clearly updating and writing this article on the fly as they read the report to be the first ones out of the gate, they're basically dumping all the points right now
when I first posted it only had the section on comey

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jun 14 2018 08:26am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 14 2018 08:44am
Former FBI Director James Comey “deviated” from FBI and Justice Department procedures in handling the probe into Hillary Clinton, damaging the law enforcement agencies’ image of impartiality even though he wasn’t motivated by political bias, the department’s watchdog found in a highly anticipated report.

“While we did not find that these decisions were the result of political bias on Comey’s part, we nevertheless concluded that by departing so clearly and dramatically from FBI and department norms, the decisions negatively impacted the perception of the FBI and the department as fair administrators of justice,” Inspector General Michael Horowitz said in the report’s conclusions, which were obtained Thursday by Bloomberg News.

so essentially a statement that doesn't really mean anything built on the premise that the FBI deserved it's credibility instead of just operating in a meta before leaks were a thing and internet gave us increased access into their inner workings.

this shit is getting more boring than the HRC trials. just a bunch of nostalgic doddering old fools pining for the days when you could prop up institutions in secrecy hiding the truth from us all.
Gold: 2,407.00
Jun 14 2018 08:55am
So basically, Comey made some slip ups but without bad intentions. Seems pretty understandable given the situation he was in.
Jun 14 2018 08:58am
well lets get all the deets in first, then analyze.
so far bloomberg has updated with a few sections:

“While we did not find that these decisions were the result of political bias on Comey’s part, we nevertheless concluded that by departing so clearly and dramatically from FBI and department norms, the decisions negatively impacted the perception of the FBI and the department as fair administrators of justice,”

Horowitz found a “troubling lack of any direct, substantive communication” between Comey and Attorney General Lynch ahead of the July 5 press conference and Comey’s October 28 letter to Congress. “We found it extraordinary that, in advance of two such consequential decisions, the FBI director decided that the best course of conduct was to not speak directly and substantively with the attorney general about how best to navigate those decisions.”

Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, exchanged text messages sharply critical of Trump. Mueller removed Strzok from the inquiry after the texts were discovered, and Page has since left the FBI. “We did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that improper considerations, including political bias, directly affected the specific investigative actions we reviewed,” Horowitz said in the report to be issued Thursday. “The conduct by these employees cast a cloud over the entire FBI investigation.

Is this report really 500 pages long as I read somewhere? Or is it just really long? If its as big as rumored, it would take ages for bloomberg to parse through it and I'm assuming they published the minute they got their grubby hands on a copy, so this will trickle out slowly
judging by all the other media citing bloomberg, they have the only copy at the moment
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 14 2018 09:12am
Quote (Goomshill @ Jun 14 2018 09:58am)
well lets get all the deets in first, then analyze.
so far bloomberg has updated with a few sections:

Is this report really 500 pages long as I read somewhere? Or is it just really long? If its as big as rumored, it would take ages for bloomberg to parse through it and I'm assuming they published the minute they got their grubby hands on a copy, so this will trickle out slowly
judging by all the other media citing bloomberg, they have the only copy at the moment

Seems to be what most people expected so far.
Jun 14 2018 09:17am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 14 2018 09:12am)
Seems to be what most people expected so far.

I appreciate that it reaffirms my running theory about Comey's motivations and poops all over the tinfoil theories from Trumpists and Hillary's JIDF alike, at least so far
It better have more about Lynch than just that, though
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 14 2018 09:27am
If they just did a commission report like I said from the start we wouldn't have to piece together scraps from watchdog organizations, the Mueller investigation, Govt leaks, and wikileaks.

-here's what the FBI did that was inappropriate
-here's what the Trump campaign did in contacting Russia (likely nothing beyond the tower meeting on paper)
-here's what the HRC campaign did with the steele dossier and other international contacts
-here's what Russia did in terms of ad buys and astro turfing
-lastly, here's some suggestion for what we can do to prevent any of the above in the future
Gold: 28,296.01
Jun 14 2018 09:28am
always wanted to like Comey

hard to ignore the faint rattle I hear in the bushes when I watch him speak though
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 14 2018 09:31am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 14 2018 10:28am)
always wanted to like Comey

hard to ignore the faint rattle I hear in the bushes when I watch him speak though

I read his book. He's an honorable guy who had good intentions, but made several mistakes in 2016.
Jun 14 2018 09:35am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 14 2018 09:31am)
I read his book. He's an honorable guy who had good intentions, but made several mistakes in 2016.

I mean, its his book. If McCabe wrote a book, he'd say that the SDNY are leakers and he's a persecuted tragic hero. I've got to be skeptical of the unreliable narrator.
But I've maintained for some time that Comey's actions make sense only within the narrative of him being either a reasonably honorable boy scout like people call him, or at least moderately spiteful towards being placed into such a lose-lose position by Clinton-and-friends. That's the only way I can reconcile him being willing to step on everyone's toes and breach protocol
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll