d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Best Core For Websites > Wp/??
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 992.66
Trader: Trusted
May 20 2018 05:55pm
Hey guys, I'm sitting here working in wordpress'es sloooow backend. It makes me wonder if wordpress is the best option out there?

I have only chosen to work with wp because it is largest and because most plugins and features are made for it. But could there be any smarter solution?

How does the Semi-proffesionals do it?

I truly appreciate all of your responses & advices. You guys are the best! :thumbsup:

This post was edited by ium on May 20 2018 06:05pm
Gold: 152.00
May 20 2018 09:09pm
Hey!

Wordpress in itself isn't bad at all, its the theme and plugins that could start causing delay (mainly outdated plugins and poorly optimized themes)

I use wordpress if I'm working with a client that doesn't really need much custom work done. They simply want to be able to edit the content of their pages themselves.

Recently I've been getting clients that need a lot of custom backend work done. So I've decided to learn PHP and SQL

It really depends on what your client needs. Majority of the other open source CMS do similar things. Some studios use different CMS to what others would use. I guess its preference for them.

Here is a list of other ones you might want to look at, just to compare features:

Drupal
Joomla
concrete5
SilverStripe (one of the main studios here in newzealand use this, it powers companies such as Westpac, 2Degrees, Skinny Mobile and forbes)
Magneto

Gold: 53.00
Jun 15 2018 11:23pm
Quote (Strickland @ May 20 2018 11:09pm)
Recently I've been getting clients that need a lot of custom backend work done. So I've decided to learn PHP and SQL

learn flightPHP, smarty and laravel if you working with php, those would make you super useful with anything involving php. also useful framework for base html sites and is just overall great to learn.
Gold: 297.58
Jul 9 2018 12:06pm
Wordpress for presentation shop or small webs.
Opencart 3 for small shops , presta for medium, magento for bigger
also joomla is nice.

Best is to buyild your own cms... but thats a lot of work.

This post was edited by ser1990 on Jul 9 2018 12:06pm
Gold: 152.00
Jul 10 2018 02:01am
Quote (PumperNickle @ Jun 16 2018 05:23am)
learn flightPHP, smarty and laravel if you working with php, those would make you super useful with anything involving php. also useful framework for base html sites and is just overall great to learn.

Yeah I've been looking at laravel the last month since my tutor recommended it.

Now I'm just starting to dive deeper into OOP. Thankfully Javascript helped a lot with that
Gold: 53.00
Jul 10 2018 09:17pm
Quote (Strickland @ Jul 10 2018 04:01am)
Yeah I've been looking at laravel the last month since my tutor recommended it.

Now I'm just starting to dive deeper into OOP. Thankfully Javascript helped a lot with that

OO PHP is not really that hard at all.

Note: laravel is best used when building a new webapp/site. Not for migration, it is a pain in the ass to do so, and will involve a rewrite.
Same with flight, which is a way watered down version of laravel.

As for smarty, being a template manager, is much easier to use for a site already created.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I am a professional developer and can possibly provide some answers if you are confused.
Aug 22 2018 10:59am
So how about best back-end/theme for wordpress? :)
Gold: Locked
Aug 24 2018 06:58am
it really depend on your skill set, if you have basic knowledge of programmation you should go with a "CMS" (content management system)

there are other options to wordpress like for instance drupal which you should have a took at.
Aug 26 2018 03:46am
Quote (minuteMed95 @ Aug 24 2018 02:58pm)
it really depend on your skill set, if you have basic knowledge of programmation you should go with a "CMS" (content management system)

there are other options to wordpress like for instance drupal which you should have a took at.

Isn't wordpress a CMS system as-well? :)

Drupal looks awesome, will take a look at it! Faster then WP?
Gold: Locked
Aug 28 2018 04:27am
Quote (ium @ Aug 26 2018 10:46am)
Isn't wordpress a CMS system as-well? :)

Drupal looks awesome, will take a look at it! Faster then WP?

It is a CMS, and its pretty good. The only concern i have with wordpress is the security as well as the regularity of updates of its plugins.
sometimes wordpress plugin are coded with the feet and not maintained to keep up to date with latest wordpress version so at some point if wordpress update its version you will be stuck cause your plugin isn't compatible.
--> this is true for all CMS thought, i just feel like it happen more often on wordpress.

About drupal, it is awesome indeed. A little bit more programmer oriented but still newbie friendly.
Couldn't say about performance as i didn't looked at benchmarch but my opinion is drupal is more performant, better to google "drupal vs wordpress" ;)
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll