d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Love Line > What Is Your Opinion On Arranged Marriages?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,495.80
May 3 2018 09:15pm
What’s your opinion on arranged marriages?
Gold: 0.00
May 3 2018 09:31pm
Terrible idea. Culture or not.

I'm probably being culturally insensitive but screw it.
Gold: 5,169.82
May 3 2018 11:59pm
Arranged marriages would not work in our Western culture, since we prefer to just date "randomly" until we find someone where we have no reason to leave.

In cultures where arranged marriages are a thing, people are generally taught that love isn't just a lust-driven feeling, and that it's something you need to work on in order to make it last. Because of this, arranged marriages have a surprisingly high success rate.
Gold: 3,890.00
May 4 2018 12:37am
Just read an article about the male-to-female population disparities in both India and China. Parts of the article were dedicated to the explaining how practices like arranged marriages, particularly in India where there are now something like 30 million more men than women of marrying age, are linked to these lopsided population distributions. It turns out years of families favoring male heirs in India have resulted in producing a lot of lonely men who literally cannot find a woman to even attempt to marry, arranged beforehand or not.

My opinion: It's an antiquated practice that I don't really understand the need to do. Also to comment on what Leevee said about being taught that a successful relationship and long-lasting love require work, I agree. I also find this a very obvious statement and hope others do as well - without being forced into an arranged marriage to figure it out.
Gold: 28,296.01
May 4 2018 07:52am
entirely depends on the scenario

these can range from sex trafficking/ slavery to consensual situations depending on the area and culture

I'd say in general I'm mostly not a fan because of the significant risk to girls that occur in these types of arrangements.

Gold: 632.75
May 17 2018 03:06am
Learned a bit about this in anthropology. It's pretty old school in my opinion and not really something I'd want.

Pretty sure arranged marriages are between 2 families with a relationship.
It's very common to see a marriage as 2 families being married and not just 2 individuals.
Especially in cultures where family is very important, which no offense, american families have little to no importance compared to other cultures.
Also, family based cultures take big notice on the parents of whom one is going to marry regardless of arrangements.
Not sure if many americans pay attention to this or if it even applies.
American families tend to be so disconnected that it leads me to believe it doesnt apply as heavily, and just because an individual comes from a good family it wont be a good indicator that the person is suitable, and thats where the strong-family-influenced-culture will step in to help.

But then you hear that talk about the forced arranged marriages and people being sad, which I think are mainly just for movies.
I'm pretty sure most arranged marriages arent crazily cynical like the movies, but no doubt it happens just like child actors and parent scandals.
And like already mentioned in this thread, people would work on their marriages much harder, not only other cultures but even older times in america.
Just a different mind set back then. The same mind set that caused families to have many children.
Gold: 4,652.00
May 17 2018 12:51pm
I had a friend who was in an arranged marriage. His parents hooked him up with a super foxy woman who mistreated and cheated on him like crazy. They used to work in his families liquor store together and she would often hit on customers in front of him to spite him. He didn't want to smack her and put her in her place so his family started to think less of him kinda like "get control over your wife you're embarrassing us" kinda deal. Led him into a big depression. Not ideal in any sense of the word lol
Gold: 2,617.52
May 17 2018 08:34pm
Statistics say that they are about as happy & successful as love marriages.

My supervisor had an arranged marriage and he's content. He is rather austere though. I could see frivolous types being very against it.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 6 2018 03:16pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ May 18 2018 03:34am)
Statistics say that they are about as happy & successful as love marriages.

My supervisor had an arranged marriage and he's content. He is rather austere though. I could see frivolous types being very against it.

Don't trust a statistic you have not faked yourslef
Gold: 4,966.59
Aug 6 2018 04:47pm
I've stated my opinion about this matter in another thread long ago. Very similar topic title.

But for your Sir. I will reply with;

According to your previous Dating Standards topic. And the fact that I believe, along with others your "TROLLING". The practice of a arranged marriage would suit you quite nicely!

Good luck! :)
Go Back To Love Line Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll