d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > What Software Do You Use? > For System Management And Updates
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.55
Apr 20 2018 01:29pm
I am terrible at updating my system and all the drivers. I am curious what software (if any) do you guys use, like an all-in-one that will update everything that is needed.

Any sort of software that may help my performance is much welcomed too. I know a lot of shit is pretty much bloatware and I don't want random crap just sitting on my PC.

My main concern for this, is I built my own PC about 10 months ago and I have been getting a "memory_management error" come up which is annoying as shit. It normally happens if I put my computer to sleep then turn it on and try to play a game. With resetting the computer and going back into the game it normally works fine. Sometimes in weird cases it is fucked up until I reset my computer 2-3 times.

Any kind of help is much appreciated. Right now I think I just have the Nvidia driver update tool and samsung magician.

If you need the specs on my PC I am not 100% sure until I am home but they are around this;

ROG StriX 1080 GPU
Samsung NVM.e SSD (I think the Evo ~512GB) - Super fast and I fucking love it
Mobo I can't remember :(
2x 8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
Gold: 18,352.00
Apr 20 2018 01:51pm
If you use an all in one driver installer please just run into a wall.

Any software designed to "optimized/speed" up ones pc can be done without said software.
The software itself take sup resources negating the point of it.

Sleep and hibernation functions have always been buggy as fuck and no one in their right mind should use them.
Gold: 6.66
Apr 20 2018 01:52pm
rarely any driver really needs an update besides your gfx and nividia tool should keep track of this. just keep windows updated (which does that automatically) and you are fine imo.

This post was edited by Mephisto on Apr 20 2018 01:55pm
Apr 20 2018 02:12pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ Apr 20 2018 01:51pm)
If you use an all in one driver installer please just run into a wall.

Any software designed to "optimized/speed" up ones pc can be done without said software.
The software itself take sup resources negating the point of it.

Sleep and hibernation functions have always been buggy as fuck and no one in their right mind should use them.

Never had a problem with putting comp to sleep before this one. Didn't mention anything to help with the problem I am having either, just negativity.

Quote (Mephisto @ Apr 20 2018 01:52pm)
rarely any driver really needs an update besides your gfx and nividia tool should keep track of this. just keep windows updated (which does that automatically) and you are fine imo.

So I am good on my software. Any help for the problem I am experiencing?
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 20 2018 03:00pm

Driver update tolls, are not something you EVER want to use. They just screw things up.

As for the problem you're having with sleep... most people just don't use sleep or hibernation. Microsoft has NEVER gotten them to work properly.
Most folk just leave the comp on and turn the monitor off. If you are going to be gone for an extended period, just turn the computer off.

Also, with all the patches etc., MS is releasing for Meltdown and Spectre, you will get problems with sleep occasionally.

Otherwise make sure you have gone through and set your power options correctly, so sleep will work, maybe.
Gold: 18,352.00
Apr 20 2018 03:11pm
Quote (Boochie @ Apr 20 2018 03:12pm)
Never had a problem with putting comp to sleep before this one. Didn't mention anything to help with the problem I am having either, just negativity.
So I am good on my software. Any help for the problem I am experiencing?

I mean thats just your opinion on the way I presented it but they are the facts.
As for the "memory_management error" I was just heading out the door and didn't care to
research it for you. I've personally never dealt with it so I frankly don't know what its resolutions are.
Gold: 109,418.06
Warn: 10%
Apr 20 2018 04:08pm
I just install initial drivers from websites
Wait like 2 years when I think about uograding
Then install those

Not much more to do I'm

Win updates disabled too, fk that noise rebooting my PC
Gold: 0.00
Apr 22 2018 06:44pm
I had a memory error a while back, had to do with my swap partition, didn't make it big enough to offload current workload onto it for when the pc was sleeping so it got confused when it woke up. Have you had the memory issue pretty much since you built it? I use linux but maybe during the install of windows it messed up making the swap partition?

This post was edited by NorthWestern on Apr 22 2018 06:46pm
Apr 23 2018 07:54am
Quote (NorthWestern @ Apr 22 2018 06:44pm)
I had a memory error a while back, had to do with my swap partition, didn't make it big enough to offload current workload onto it for when the pc was sleeping so it got confused when it woke up. Have you had the memory issue pretty much since you built it? I use linux but maybe during the install of windows it messed up making the swap partition?

Yeah it's been happening when I get heavy loads on PC. If I look too quickly on a game sometimes it does it, or if it's just a loading screen.

BTW, it doesn't ONLY happen when my computer is on from sleep mode. I just mostly have it in sleep. Even from a cold boot from it being off it may happen when I decide to play a game.

I suppose I'll just shut the PC off completely whenever I go to bed and see if it does it less. It's a hard habit to break since I always put my PC's to sleep for the last 20 years. XD
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll