d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Baseball > Gabe Kapler
Prev123417Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 29 2018 07:52pm
Quote (VivaPinata @ Mar 29 2018 08:49pm)
that was one of the worst coached games ive ever seen

https://i.imgur.com/sEAVdgi.jpg

they wouldn't even get to struggle if he left Nola in

but he actually thought removing our best hitter and pitcher out of the game was a good idea, unbelievable
Mar 30 2018 01:17am
I'm still confused as to why Nola was pulled from the game with such a low pitch count....the first game of the season....

Like, is there a fucking reason or is this guy just that dumb?
Banned
Gold: 0.28
Warn: 20%
Mar 30 2018 02:20am
Yesssssss
Sweet sustenance at last
Here are the filthadelphia tears I have yearned for

Get dumpstered by atl u goons

This post was edited by MexicanSasquatch on Mar 30 2018 02:20am
Gold: 23,685.49
Mar 30 2018 05:49am
I had a chance to sleep on it and reflect on what happened last night, and I am even more pissed off by the awful managing.

1. Bench our crazy CF who is arguably our second best offensive player and a very good defensive center fielder
2. Our second basemen doesn't slide into second base and gets tagged out. Immediately, he should have been pulled for Kingery. That is an absolutely joke and why Cesar needs to be fucking benched.
3. Pull our best pitcher with 68 pitches in the 6th inning LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL WTF
4. Use Ramos in the 8th inning when he has proven jack shit. Apparently, Neshak was unavailable? Unavailable for the first fucking game of the season...?
5. Take Hoskins our best player out of the game for a defensive change in the 8 inning in a 3 run ball game. Who the fuck takes their best player out of any fucking game ever?!?!?!?
6. 9th inning pitch hit with some scrub because of "Matchups" instead of starting the inning with your future all star second baseman.
7. And then one nobody is talking about but Peter fucking I suck dick Bourjos is on deck in the 9th inning and you give their second best offensive player a pitch to hit for the game winner with a fucking base open. WTF IS ANALYTICS TELLING YOU THERE!?!?!

Okay I know its one game but there is no doubt in my mind that was the most poorly managed baseball I have ever witnessed. The dude has never been a manager before and it clearly showed. Chip Kelly 2.0
Mar 30 2018 09:50am
Quote (CooLSmuRFeR24 @ Mar 30 2018 07:49am)
I had a chance to sleep on it and reflect on what happened last night, and I am even more pissed off by the awful managing.

1. Bench our crazy CF who is arguably our second best offensive player and a very good defensive center fielder
2. Our second basemen doesn't slide into second base and gets tagged out. Immediately, he should have been pulled for Kingery. That is an absolutely joke and why Cesar needs to be fucking benched.
3. Pull our best pitcher with 68 pitches in the 6th inning LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL WTF
4. Use Ramos in the 8th inning when he has proven jack shit. Apparently, Neshak was unavailable? Unavailable for the first fucking game of the season...?
5. Take Hoskins our best player out of the game for a defensive change in the 8 inning in a 3 run ball game. Who the fuck takes their best player out of any fucking game ever?!?!?!?
6. 9th inning pitch hit with some scrub because of "Matchups" instead of starting the inning with your future all star second baseman.
7. And then one nobody is talking about but Peter fucking I suck dick Bourjos is on deck in the 9th inning and you give their second best offensive player a pitch to hit for the game winner with a fucking base open. WTF IS ANALYTICS TELLING YOU THERE!?!?!

Okay I know its one game but there is no doubt in my mind that was the most poorly managed baseball I have ever witnessed. The dude has never been a manager before and it clearly showed. Chip Kelly 2.0

Regarding Nola being pulled, I read up on his thought process more and it does make some sense. I mean he lost on this one, but overall I kind of like his analytic numbers approach to managing.

I think we should give him more of a sample size before rushing to judgement.

After the game, Phillies fans were irate with Kapler’s decision-making in the game. They were mostly mad that he yanked Nola with only 68 pitches even though he was cruising. I think it was a defensible decision. Nola was going through the lineup for a third time, and just about every starter has worse results the third time through the order. As research from Mitchel Lichtman showed at Baseball Prospectus in 2013, pitch count doesn’t have an effect on this. In other words, a pitcher is about as likely to perform poorly the third time through the order at 68 pitches as he is at 85 or 95. Nola, over his career, has allowed a .706 OPS to batters the first time he sees them and .618 the second time, but .755 the third time.

Additionally, Kapler was playing the matchups with his nine-man bullpen. Yes, nine-man bullpen. Kapler’s options were to let Nola face Freeman a third time or bring in Hoby Milner, a lefty reliever who held left-handed hitters to a .464 OPS last season. At Triple-A last season, Milner held lefties to a .508 OPS compared to .856 against righties. Furthermore, if you put stock in small sample match-up stats, Freeman has owned Nola historically. Even though Milner got burned by Freeman, Kapler’s decision was the correct one.

Teams up five runs going into the bottom of the sixth inning on the road win about 95 percent of the time. The Phillies’ bullpen was about average last year and is arguably now above-average, especially if one puts stock in, for example, Morgan’s second-half resurgence. It’s the first game of a 162-game season. Take the long view: don’t make Nola throw pitches he doesn’t need to throw. He’s the ace of the staff, but he’s still only 24 years old. What’s more important: Nola staying healthy, or winning a March game against the Braves in a season in which they’re expected to win fewer than 50 percent of their games? The Phillies have two more relievers on the roster than teams typically carry, so they can afford to go to the bullpen early. It isn’t the third game of a seven-game playoff series where you need to carefully manage workloads.

The Phillies win despite the quick hook on Nola almost every time if one was able to play out the game 100 or 1,000 times. They didn’t today, which stinks if you’re a fan, but it doesn’t mean Kapler’s process was wrong. If you’re at the blackjack table and stand with 20 against a dealer 6, but the dealer still finds his way to 21, that doesn’t mean your decision to hit was wrong. Sometimes your pitchers stink. Sometimes the opposing team executes well. It was a combination of both today for the Phillies, so you tip your cap to the Braves and move on.

Kapler was always going to have his decisions as a manager put under the magnifying glass because people who think like he does are still a minority in baseball culture, even though just about every front office is on board already. People are also skeptical of him because of some questionable stuff he’s blogged about and he doesn’t look like your typical baseball lifer. Fans are biased going into the season, having already made up their mind about whether or not they like him. Those that don’t like him will use today’s game as evidence he doesn’t know what he’s doing. If the Phillies had won today, those same people wouldn’t have said anything because it doesn’t support their viewpoint. It’s the very essence of confirmation bias.

After the game, Kapler said, “Look, tonight, the decisions didn’t work out in our favor. But I’m very confident that over a long period of time that they will.”
Mar 30 2018 10:18am
Quote (Embiid @ Mar 29 2018 09:52pm)
they wouldn't even get to struggle if he left Nola in

but he actually thought removing our best hitter and pitcher out of the game was a good idea, unbelievable

:baby:

This post was edited by xVitality on Mar 30 2018 10:19am
Mar 30 2018 10:19am
:baby:
Mar 30 2018 12:22pm
Quote (Sixers @ Mar 30 2018 10:50am)
Regarding Nola being pulled, I read up on his thought process more and it does make some sense. I mean he lost on this one, but overall I kind of like his analytic numbers approach to managing.

I think we should give him more of a sample size before rushing to judgement.

No, it still doesn't make any damn sense.

He batted Nola in the previous inning with a man on 1st and 3rd.

Then got him back in the game to pitch one more out before taking him out, how does that make sense?

Not to mention, what the hell is anybody going to do about going through the lineup a 3rd time? Are all of our pitchers only going to pitch 2 times through a lineup or something?

Yes, it's the first game of the season, but other team's starters went 90 pitches.

Hoby Milner, a lefty reliever who held left-handed hitters to a .464 OPS last season. At Triple-A last season, Milner held lefties to a .508 OPS compared to .856 against righties.

yea. matchup is one thing. pulling ur ace who is cruising so u can let a triple A player pitch to Freddie Freeman is fucking stupid. oh and first base was open too.

The Phillies supposedly are supposed to have an above-average bullpen, but he didn't use the guys that we paid big bucks for. Apparently Neshek was not available nor was Tommy Hunter.

As the manager, he knew this, and still decided to entrust half of the game to the other scrubs from the pen.

After the game, Kapler said, “Look, tonight, the decisions didn’t work out in our favor. But I’m very confident that over a long period of time that they will.”

this is the worst part, he's so arrogant and didn't even admit to any mistakes what so ever, not a single one. and he will do the same thing again if given the chance, that's pathetic. not owning up to ur mistakes and playing like a lazy shit is probably philadelphia's biggest pet peeves.

he then proceeded to throw the bullpen under the bus by saying some shit like "I trust Hoby to get those outs"

This post was edited by Embiid on Mar 30 2018 12:43pm
Gold: 128,651.77
Mar 30 2018 04:08pm
Quote (VivaPinata @ Mar 29 2018 06:46pm)
that was the greatest opening day game of all time
but yeah, kapler taking nola out when he was straight murdering atlanta was stupid af
manager ejected, 3 HRs, come-back from down 5-0, and a walkoff bomb.. baseball is the best

"Baseball is the best"

Lold
Mar 30 2018 05:01pm
Quote (Embiid @ Mar 30 2018 02:22pm)
No, it still doesn't make any damn sense.

He batted Nola in the previous inning with a man on 1st and 3rd.

Then got him back in the game to pitch one more out before taking him out, how does that make sense?

Not to mention, what the hell is anybody going to do about going through the lineup a 3rd time? Are all of our pitchers only going to pitch 2 times through a lineup or something?

Yes, it's the first game of the season, but other team's starters went 90 pitches.

Hoby Milner, a lefty reliever who held left-handed hitters to a .464 OPS last season. At Triple-A last season, Milner held lefties to a .508 OPS compared to .856 against righties.

yea. matchup is one thing. pulling ur ace who is cruising so u can let a triple A player pitch to Freddie Freeman is fucking stupid. oh and first base was open too.

The Phillies supposedly are supposed to have an above-average bullpen, but he didn't use the guys that we paid big bucks for. Apparently Neshek was not available nor was Tommy Hunter.

As the manager, he knew this, and still decided to entrust half of the game to the other scrubs from the pen.

this is the worst part, he's so arrogant and didn't even admit to any mistakes what so ever, not a single one. and he will do the same thing again if given the chance, that's pathetic. not owning up to ur mistakes and playing like a lazy shit is probably philadelphia's biggest pet peeves.

he then proceeded to throw the bullpen under the bus by saying some shit like "I trust Hoby to get those outs"

I understand the level of frustration, but damn...it was the first game lol

Lets give him at least a few weeks and more games before we hang the guy.
Go Back To Baseball Topic List
Prev123417Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll