d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design >
Poll > Is Fireworks Outdated?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 992.66
Trader: Trusted
Mar 13 2018 04:03am
Hello wonderful Designers! I've seen your work here for a while and you guys always manage to impress me! Which is why I like to come in here from time to time and ask questions.

Introduction
I am trying to learn how to design websites. And to become a good designer I would need to get good with a software for the graphics. I want to be able to create buttons/menus/backgrounds/loggos - all custom made of course.

Why am I interested in fireworks?
My "coach" said that fireworks is the absolutely best choice, and he promised me to send pieces of his ~20-year collection of his "self made life work" patterns/etcetra (don't really know what it is) for fireworks. He was very strict about me not sharing it to anybody, Ever. He trusts me as I've known him online for about 15 years... It sounded like it would be something really juicy!

He also said this: "Show me Any picture made in photoshop, and I'll make it in fireworks at half the time it took to make it in photoshop".

TL:DR
My question: is fireworks still the way to go or is it outdated?

I ask you guys because it could be good with a few more opinions then just a one sided opinion :)
Gold: 0.00
Mar 15 2018 02:12pm
If you want to learn how to design the graphical parts of websites...
photoshop and illustrator are the go to programs

The only people i can see using fireworks anymore are freelancers who haven't migrated yet to photoshop and illustrator.
if you ever want to get a job doing this, you need to know how to use the program that the company uses which will be photoshop, illustrator,
and some companies are now using indesign as well.
Mar 16 2018 08:53am
Quote (shenk @ Mar 15 2018 10:12pm)
If you want to learn how to design the graphical parts of websites...
photoshop and illustrator are the go to programs

The only people i can see using fireworks anymore are freelancers who haven't migrated yet to photoshop and illustrator.
if you ever want to get a job doing this, you need to know how to use the program that the company uses which will be photoshop, illustrator,
and some companies are now using indesign as well.

Thanks a lot for your input, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about this!

I'll take a look at illustrator! And if I've understood correctly... Illustrator and fireworks got the same features? AKA patterns and such from fireworks should be easy to import to illustrator?
Gold: 184.00
Mar 17 2018 01:56pm
Adobe no longer supports it, that's right. That being said, it does have some handy features, like slices and hotspots.
Also, Illustrator is a vector based application, Photoshop a pixel based one. Fireworks can work with vectors but will display pixels. It's kind of in between.

This post was edited by Merscil on Mar 17 2018 01:57pm
Mar 18 2018 03:55pm
Quote (Merscil @ Mar 17 2018 09:56pm)
Adobe no longer supports it, that's right. That being said, it does have some handy features, like slices and hotspots.
Also, Illustrator is a vector based application, Photoshop a pixel based one. Fireworks can work with vectors but will display pixels. It's kind of in between.

The hotspots are rly great! Doesn't illustrator have them? :)

I guess the answer is to combine illustrator with fireworks
Gold: 152.00
Mar 27 2018 10:43pm
Have never heard of fireworks before. I wouldn't even suggest using photoshop or illustrator

Use what the industry is using, which is either sketch or invision. Those are the leading UX prototyping tools out there
Mar 31 2018 10:44am
Quote (Strickland @ Mar 28 2018 06:43am)
Have never heard of fireworks before. I wouldn't even suggest using photoshop or illustrator

Use what the industry is using, which is either sketch or invision. Those are the leading UX prototyping tools out there

I've never heard of those tools :O Would you by any chance be able to show some design work you've made with them? :)

Theese tools sound very interesting.
Go Back To Graphic Design Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll