d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > What Is The Future Of Game Dev?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 4 2018 08:31pm
C# or C++?
Gold: 4,004.55
Warn: 10%
Mar 5 2018 01:42pm
Depends on the scale of the game you're developing and what platform/OS you want it to run on. I love writing pseudo code for games because after you write full length pseudo try to convert it to the programming language you are most comfortable or have the most experience with. Its a great way to practice your knowledge of programming in a particular language! I've been teaching myself Java, Python, C, C#, C++ for the last year(taking courses through edX, Coursera, Udacity, Udemy) and reading numerous books on software development and "pragmatic programming". Its a lot of fun. Can't wait til I can quit my day job and make out a career in this field :P
Gold: 0.00
Mar 5 2018 02:01pm
Quote (KingTia @ Mar 5 2018 03:42pm)
Depends on the scale of the game you're developing and what platform/OS you want it to run on. I love writing pseudo code for games because after you write full length pseudo try to convert it to the programming language you are most comfortable or have the most experience with. Its a great way to practice your knowledge of programming in a particular language! I've been teaching myself Java, Python, C, C#, C++ for the last year(taking courses through edX, Coursera, Udacity, Udemy) and reading numerous books on software development and "pragmatic programming". Its a lot of fun. Can't wait til I can quit my day job and make out a career in this field :P

ya goodluck :)
Gold: 1,939.50
Mar 6 2018 06:07pm
The future largely depends on the tools or engine you decide to use. For example C# if you want to use unity. JS/TS for games in browser. C++ perhaps for actually implementing gaming engines (I wouldn't recommend this). Most of game development isn't coding.
Gold: 2,586.00
Mar 15 2018 01:46am
On game dev side, C# is mostly used for small to mid sized projects. C++ is often used in big sized projects. Some also keep C++ to engineers and provide other languages (more scripting oriented like lua) for GPP or designers.

While i agree that coding isn't the only field in game dev - no coding means no game. Even if nowadays you could deliver a poor quality game without coding a single piece of code, coding is ofc involved behind this king of engines.
Gold: 215.50
Mar 29 2018 11:17pm
C++ will eventually be replaced as the king for engines because of its shitty limits WRT matrices. Will take a very long time though.
Gold: 518.50
Mar 30 2018 12:10am
Quote (Remembrance @ 29 Mar 2018 23:17)
C++ will eventually be replaced as the king for engines because of its shitty limits WRT matrices. Will take a very long time though.

What limits does C++ have for matrices?

Anyway, the "future" of game development depends on the time scale and where you're at in the stack. Eventually, C++ will be replaced because it has an antiquated compilation model, horribly over-complicated grammar and type system, crazy unspecified behavior for violations of rules nobody thinks about (ie the one-definition rule), and the fact that game development houses will eventually be unable to afford good C++ developers. C++ in game dev will follow the trend of being focused more on the core bits of the engine, with the vast majority of work ending up in higher level languages like C#, Lua, and Python or specialized languages like GLSL and BPF.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll