d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Pretty New To Actually Cooking Real Food > Question About Steaks.
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.69
Mar 10 2018 08:10pm
Cast iron skillet get one (lodge brand is best)

This is your best friend in the kitchen you can also use it to bake in.

I eat a good steak atleast 3 times a week. Mix it up between ribeye and New York strip.

Allow them to sit out until they reach room temp.
Pay them dry with paper towel
Cover them in light olive oil ( to hold your seasoning in while it cooks)
Season however (I use pink Himalayan salt and pepper)

Don't be scared to load your pan up with butter (real butter not the 60% vegetable oil shit) you can taste the difference.

Most stoves range from 1-10

Throw it on 6 to sear both sides for a minute to minute and a half. No longer or your outsides will be crispy and not match up to insides

Turn it to 3 1/2 and turn every 1-2 mins until you reach your desired doneness.

And remember to let them sit for about 5-7 mins before you eat or cut them ( this will allow those juices to sink in and also cook it a little more so keep that in mind not to over cook it.)

Well enjoy my winter steak method, during warm months I prefer grill a million times better lol
Gold: 27,873.00
Mar 25 2018 04:28pm
So I've been addicted to steaks and my cast iron ever since I made this thread.
I've probably done 12 or so steaks since then and have one sitting in the fridge until I get home to fire it up!

Between Ribeye and NY strip, I enjoy cooking the NY more but imo the Ribeye is much better in flavor.
Salt, pepper, real butter, and 2 cloves of garlic is all I need with some oil of course.

Been cooking most of them going from medium rare going on medium. Slightly pinkish but it's browning.

Need to figure out my timing a little better, I'm terrible with time & don't have the texture of pushing on it with my fingers down yet.
I just keep telling myself that I've probably not had it on the pan long enough lol

Ironically my first try got me the best medium rare out of any of them. I do like to drink whenever I'm cooking so that could be why also :rofl:
Gold: 23,000.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 25 2018 06:14pm
Quote (Vilify @ Mar 25 2018 03:28pm)
I've probably done 12 or so steaks since then and have one sitting in the fridge until I get home to fire it up!

Between Ribeye and NY strip, I enjoy cooking the NY more but imo the Ribeye is much better in flavor.
Salt, pepper, real butter, and 2 cloves of garlic is all I need with some oil of course.

Been cooking most of them going from medium rare going on medium. Slightly pinkish but it's browning.

Need to figure out my timing a little better, I'm terrible with time & don't have the texture of pushing on it with my fingers down yet.
I just keep telling myself that I've probably not had it on the pan long enough lol

Ironically my first try got me the best medium rare out of any of them. I do like to drink whenever I'm cooking so that could be why also :rofl:

2" steak takes about 4 minutes per side.
Gold: 22,202.22
Mar 26 2018 08:51pm
Quote (Vilify @ Mar 25 2018 05:28pm)

use a thermometer
Gold: 1.71
Mar 30 2018 07:05am
Have some spare cash? Buy a sous vide.

Cook any protein to your own preference.
Mar 30 2018 11:06am
Quote (illyria @ Mar 30 2018 05:05am)
Have some spare cash? Buy a sous vide.

Cook any protein to your own preference.

I do but I have no idea what that is. I'll look it up!
Gold: 93,132.32
Mar 30 2018 03:39pm
If you like the taste of dry-aged steaks with the taste/smell of blue cheese try out this recipe.

Cajun + black pepper or you can just go with plain salt + pepper to season the steak, personally I like the cajun flavor because I love cajun/creole foods especially seafood.

After you finish cooking your steak to your desired rareness let it sit for 5-10 minutes,and while you're waiting for it to sit, start with the blue cheese + heavy cream sauce.

To make the sauce melt some butter in a pan on low - medium heat
Melt the blue cheese and add in the heavy cream, careful not to burn it
Let it mix completely or you can have chunky blue cheese bits in there, it's really up to you
By the time you finish the sauce your steak should be ready to eat

If you don't like blue cheese or cajun at all then don't try this recipe lol
Mar 30 2018 03:50pm
Quote (HappyHour234 @ Mar 30 2018 01:39pm)
If you like the taste of dry-aged steaks with the taste/smell of blue cheese try out this recipe.

Cajun + black pepper or you can just go with plain salt + pepper to season the steak, personally I like the cajun flavor because I love cajun/creole foods especially seafood.

After you finish cooking your steak to your desired rareness let it sit for 5-10 minutes,and while you're waiting for it to sit, start with the blue cheese + heavy cream sauce.

To make the sauce melt some butter in a pan on low - medium heat
Melt the blue cheese and add in the heavy cream, careful not to burn it
Let it mix completely or you can have chunky blue cheese bits in there, it's really up to you
By the time you finish the sauce your steak should be ready to eat

If you don't like blue cheese or cajun at all then don't try this recipe lol

I've personally never tasted blue cheese, but cajun is <3

I may give this a shot, but would prefer to try the cheese itself first :P
Gold: 93,132.32
Mar 30 2018 03:54pm
Quote (Vilify @ Mar 30 2018 02:50pm)
I've personally never tasted blue cheese, but cajun is <3

I may give this a shot, but would prefer to try the cheese itself first :P

Its basically a cheesy ranch sauce
Blue cheese is usually a hit or miss with most people
Mar 30 2018 03:57pm
Quote (HappyHour234 @ Mar 30 2018 01:54pm)
Its basically a cheesy ranch sauce
Blue cheese is usually a hit or miss with most people

Sounds like I'd like it, I'll give it a shot & if I do like it, I'll let you know how the recipe turns out when I try that!
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll