d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Pretty New To Actually Cooking Real Food > Question About Steaks.
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,273.00
Feb 23 2018 01:49pm
So, I just turned 25. I'm not much of a cook but I can do simple stuff like omelettes/french toast/tacos etc...

I've been wanting to get more into cooking. Doesn't have to be healthy, but for someone who normally orders out more often than I'm proud to admit, I want to save some cash.

Only steak I've ever made was simply on a grill.

I'm wanting to try a different way & have been seeing some panseared then into the oven type ways of doing things.

I guess I'm just wondering what's best and what brand/cut I should be getting to attempt this.

Also if you have a recipe or something with seasonings etc I'd love to delve into that rather than just plain.

Thanks for your help lads!!
Gold: 9,970.00
Feb 23 2018 02:20pm
Quote (Vilify @ Feb 23 2018 03:49pm)
So, I just turned 25. I'm not much of a cook but I can do simple stuff like omelettes/french toast/tacos etc...

I've been wanting to get more into cooking. Doesn't have to be healthy, but for someone who normally orders out more often than I'm proud to admit, I want to save some cash.

I'm wanting to try a different way & have been seeing some panseared then into the oven type ways of doing things.

I guess I'm just wondering what's best and what brand/cut I should be getting to attempt this.

Also if you have a recipe or something with seasonings etc I'd love to delve into that rather than just plain.

I'm a big fan of tenderloin for this method. I sear both sides for 2 minutes in butter, then throw it in the oven at 450 for 8 minutes and a 2.5 inch thick piece will come out medium/medium-rare. I mix sea salt and black pepper and apply like a rub before searing. If you want to grill, I prefer cuts of meat with a little more fat like ribeye or strip. The fat does a great job of soaking up that charcoal flavor.
Feb 23 2018 02:23pm
Quote (Zpot @ Feb 23 2018 12:20pm)
I'm a big fan of tenderloin for this method. I sear both sides for 2 minutes in butter, then throw it in the oven at 450 for 8 minutes and a 2.5 inch thick piece will come out medium/medium-rare. I mix sea salt and black pepper and apply like a rub before searing. If you want to grill, I prefer cuts of meat with a little more fat like ribeye or strip. The fat does a great job of soaking up that charcoal flavor.

I've seen that people actually dab down the meat with a paper towel before applying seasoning.
I'd prefer to not grill to be honest. The other ways feel fancier/nicer haha.

I'll most likely give this a shot in the next few days once I have a day off. Are there any other tips/tricks or is it all really that straightforward? :)
Gold: 9,970.00
Feb 23 2018 02:37pm
fairly straightforward. I will caution though, when people think searing, they turn their stove to the high setting. I'd say adjust your setting to 8.5/10 or 9/10 as you don't want your butter to burn. the exterior will still have that nice crispy browning but it won't be overly done. If you prefer your steak med-med well then leave the meat in for about 12 minutes at 450. If you really want to get fancy get a toothpick and break it in half, then wrap some bacon around the sides. Serve with baked potato and steamed broccoli. Ideally, you want to use a cast-iron because you can put that directly into the oven after your searing is done

This post was edited by Zpot on Feb 23 2018 02:42pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 24 2018 04:36am
As far as seasoning goes, buy some kosher salt and some black pepper. That's all you need.

Liberally apply kosher salt, lightly apply pepper. Let rest for a minimum of one hour as and long 24 hours in the refrigerator(I usually do about 3 hours but you're fine to season these the night before and cook them for.dinner.)

The salt draws the juices from the meat where they then mix with the salt and slowly drain back into the meat.

I like doing this with ribeye, the saltiness really adds to the fatness of the cut. The above methods of pansearing and baking are what I'd recommend with this.
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Feb 25 2018 06:55pm
Quote (Vilify @ Feb 23 2018 03:23pm)

I'd prefer to not grill to be honest. The other ways feel fancier/nicer haha.

this is false.....

grill is king for steak lol
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 26 2018 05:11am
Quote (Vilify @ Feb 23 2018 01:49pm)

I'm a huge fan of reverse searing, to be honest. I spoiled myself and bought a wood pellet grill, but this method works quite well on a charcoal grill as well. Set up indirect heat and toss a cold (not brought up to room temp) steak on the grill away from the coals. I prefer porterhouse for this, but the again, I prefer porterhouse for most steak grilling. Use coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. Feel free to have a spray bottle of water on hand for this type of grilling, which you can spritz the meat if it appears to be drying. Moist surfaces help the smoke infuse the meat better. You'll need about 45-60 minutes of indirect heat (assuming you can maintain about 225F) for a typical supermarket cut of meat, then move over the coals for direct heat searing to finish. This method has produced the best steaks I've ever had.

This post was edited by Santara on Feb 26 2018 05:13am
Gold: 5,496.89
Mar 8 2018 06:20pm
Ribeye is the most flavorful IMO

Filet is the most tender

Start with a steak around 1.25-1.5 inches thick.

Heat the oven to 500 degrees with a cast iron skillet inside. Let the meat sit out on the counter to come to room temp for 15-30 min. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel. Lightly coat it with oil and rub on whatever seasoning you are using.

Remove cast iron from oven and put over high heat. Let your steak hit the skillet. And sit for 30 sec. Flip it once, 30 sec. Toss a TB pad of butter on the steak. Pop the whole skillet back in the oven for about 2 min, flip the steak, 2 more mins in oven.

Remove from heat and tent with foil on a plate or cutting board to rest. For 10 mins.

Should come out a nice medium-rare to medium if 1.25 in thick. Add 15-30 sec per side in oven if you want medium for a thicker steak.

This post was edited by Motion on Mar 8 2018 06:21pm
Gold: 2,848.72
Warn: 80%
Mar 10 2018 11:10am
Broil
Mar 10 2018 01:17pm
Well I was on a 14 day suspension but I did read all your stuff!

Ended up going with 2 new york strips using the pansear into baking method
Used kosher salt, ground pepper, garlic, and thyme.

First one turned out a GORGEOUS medium rare, the next one I did turned out more medium (Which upset me a tad, I swear I used the same timing lol)

Overall it was pretty good but I know I can still do better. Wasn't really a fan of the thyme so next time that'll be left out.

Most likely going to try a Ribeye next, my girl wants me to make steak like how I did for her birthday in a few days.

Was definitely interesting using the cast iron for the first time, actually had to go buy one lol.

I also made homemade Chicken Noodle Soup & made my own egg noodles. Was damn good but even though I thought the noodles weren't too thick, they were once it cooked.

Thank you all for your help!!
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll