d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Vince Carter On Evolution Of The Game
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 21.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 20 2018 02:19am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Feb 20 2018 09:01am
"The game is faster" - said by a guy getting slower every year ... I keed, I keeheed :P VC actually fits well in the softer, faster era because of his ability to stretch the floor. Good point about the paint being more open now, not that Vince would've actually taken it to the rim if he had young legs. No surprise that Vince is happy to get out of the era of physical basketball :evil:

Where he says a lot of today's players couldn't handle the old physical game, it's kind of an unfair comparison. Of course a lot of today's players couldn't handle it, but if you take yesterday's guys and bring them into the present, many of them would be completely confused by the 3 point line usage and they would need to score in the paint while hoping to avoid getting pulled apart by superior shooting. Some guys today would be better 20-30 years ago, and some guys from the old days would be better now.

I think Curry and KAT and guys along those lines would really suffer in the old game. Lebron would've had to toughen up much earlier in his career, but the Lebron of the last few years would've been fine. Pretty sure someone like Steven Adams would prefer the old school game because it fits him better. I think Dragic would be better then than now. Bledsoe too. Wade would be fine either way. The softer guys would have a rude awakening, especially in the post. Someone like JV would be fine, but most guys at the 5 position now would get destroyed. That's the position that would take the biggest hit. 4s and 5s, but today's 4s would be better off than the 5s.

There are some guys from the old days that would destroy today's game. Obviously MJ and Sir Charles would get better numbers, but I can't imagine what Shaq would do. He'd feast, just like Boogie should've been feasting all these years.
Gold: 22,393.07
Feb 20 2018 12:03pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Feb 20 2018 08:01am)
"The game is faster" - said by a guy getting slower every year ... I keed, I keeheed :P VC actually fits well in the softer, faster era because of his ability to stretch the floor. Good point about the paint being more open now, not that Vince would've actually taken it to the rim if he had young legs. No surprise that Vince is happy to get out of the era of physical basketball :evil:

Where he says a lot of today's players couldn't handle the old physical game, it's kind of an unfair comparison. Of course a lot of today's players couldn't handle it, but if you take yesterday's guys and bring them into the present, many of them would be completely confused by the 3 point line usage and they would need to score in the paint while hoping to avoid getting pulled apart by superior shooting. Some guys today would be better 20-30 years ago, and some guys from the old days would be better now.

I think Curry and KAT and guys along those lines would really suffer in the old game. Lebron would've had to toughen up much earlier in his career, but the Lebron of the last few years would've been fine. Pretty sure someone like Steven Adams would prefer the old school game because it fits him better. I think Dragic would be better then than now. Bledsoe too. Wade would be fine either way. The softer guys would have a rude awakening, especially in the post. Someone like JV would be fine, but most guys at the 5 position now would get destroyed. That's the position that would take the biggest hit. 4s and 5s, but today's 4s would be better off than the 5s.

There are some guys from the old days that would destroy today's game. Obviously MJ and Sir Charles would get better numbers, but I can't imagine what Shaq would do. He'd feast, just like Boogie should've been feasting all these years.

Shaq would go for 40/ 20 easy lmao.
Was already 30/15 in playoffs during his prime

Barkley in today's game would actually be nuts. He would fit right in as a small center (used to be comparisons with draymond for whatever reason) and defend and clean house on offensive rebounds lol

Wade still got it but man. It woulda been fun to see him play in this era in his prime, same as tmac and ai

This post was edited by potentate on Feb 20 2018 12:06pm
Gold: 73.65
Feb 20 2018 12:13pm
Eh.

This post was edited by pAiLiXziX on Feb 20 2018 12:21pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 80%
Feb 20 2018 12:14pm
Steven Adams is the GOAT

Gold: 22,393.07
Feb 20 2018 12:27pm
Quote (pAiLiXziX @ Feb 20 2018 11:13am)
Yeah no he wouldnt... last person to do that was Wilt and that was over 50 years ago... Curry or Durant are the only player who could do it, but they would have to play every blowout games 4th quarter and alienate some teammates scoring.

You guys talk about past players dominating today's era cause it's "soft." But that's simply not true, and you have absolutely no proof besides, "well they dominated their era," narrative which isn't consistent with today's rules.. there is a lot more rules and violations in today's era compared to back then. It's apples and oranges.

Rew you keep talking about how dominant Barkley would be in today's era, and sure maybe he would replicate rebounding numbers, but Barkley during the Phoenix Suns might've been one of the greatest but worst defenders at his position and if you can't switch on defense nowadays most players don't get consistent clutch minutes. Barkley might lead the league in rebounding and he might drop some crazy dunks but defense back then wasn't as vital back then.

I mean numbers are obviously skewed with more minutes being played in postseason
Depends on which shaq u talking about.

Orlando shaq he could play both sides of the floor. Averaging 28/12 as it is. Would fit in alot better.

Lakers shaq would be more of a liability on defense with all the switches and pick and roles since he got pretty out of shape lol. But he would be unstoppable in the paint lol. Might not be able to bulldoze people but he still has pretty fast post moves for his size. Who would be able to stop shaq getting post position rofl, not to mention the foul trouble he would present.

Barkley defensively woulda been worse but it matters alot less in this era. He isn't such a liability considering his athletic ability. But he would dominate on offensive boards which is huge in today's game.

Yea it's a jump shot league but still big men are viable.
Im sure players of both generations woulda shifted their body types and game around the rules but the way players play right now, with all these touch fouls it's harder to see these "softer" players excel in previous era

This post was edited by potentate on Feb 20 2018 12:53pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Feb 20 2018 05:23pm
Quote (potentate @ 20 Feb 2018 14:03)
Shaq would go for 40/ 20 easy lmao.
Was already 30/15 in playoffs during his prime

Barkley in today's game would actually be nuts. He would fit right in as a small center (used to be comparisons with draymond for whatever reason) and defend and clean house on offensive rebounds lol

Wade still got it but man. It woulda been fun to see him play in this era in his prime, same as tmac and ai

AI would be interesting to watch because he was a speedy mid-range guy with surprising handles and a deceptive wingspan. Tough as heck, I think he'd score in the paint all day.

Wade would kill it if he was in his prime. He killed it then, he'd kill it now, he'd kill it in the All-Galaxy league. His Flash days were ... :drool:

But yeah, Shaq and Barkley would get video game stats every night. If Shaq played on a team with outside shooting in today's game, they could drop it to him for 50 per night and there's nobody who could do fook all aboot it. The 90s had better centers on both sides of the ball and more allowances for defense. The game discriminates against true bigs now, but some of them would destroy everything today. Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Sir Charles, The Admiral ... these guys would clean up every night, and they wouldn't be so bad defensively for most of their careers.

David Robinson was a nice guy but he'd straight up mug children like KAT. I could see him dropping 50 on KAT and holding him under 10.

Guys like Adams, Gobert, JV and Baynes are in their own ways throwbacks, but they don't have the same tools at either end as the 90s greats did. I love watching them play because they play tough.

I wish Randle wasn't 6'8 x 6'10. If he was a truly big guy with a few solid moves I think he'd murder the current NBA because of the way he plays.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 20 2018 07:20pm
If they gave iverson the calls they give to harden and Deroxanna these days he would attempt 30 fts a game and foul out the other entire team
Gold: 150.00
Warn: 50%
Feb 20 2018 07:26pm
Quote (Embiid @ Feb 21 2018 11:20am)
If they gave iverson the calls they give to harden and Deroxanna these days he would attempt 30 fts a game and foul out the other entire team

Deroxanna? Lol

I've never seen u participate in jsp memes

This post was edited by DefinitelyNotKimmy on Feb 20 2018 07:26pm
Gold: 2,267.63
Feb 20 2018 09:01pm
Quote (WatcherOfTheSkies @ Feb 20 2018 01:14pm)
Steven Adams is the GOAT

WE Got a winner here
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll