d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Seriously Long Boot Up Time After Case Swap..
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 8 2018 09:12pm
Swapped my pc into a new case.. and now it's taking 8 minutes to fully boot the PC..

My specs are the

msi 760gma-p34(fx)

7200 RPM HDD

16GB DDR3

AMD Fury R9 X

AMD FX-8370 CPU

600W PSU

everything turns on.. it boots up.. the first thing I noticed is my RADEON LED light on my GPU lights up but not the red led power usage indicator and the PC doesn't boot until that comes on.. that takes just over 3 minutes for the usage indicator.. the rest is booting up which takes another 5 minutes.. IDK if I potentionally missed plugging something in on the MOBO? But if I did I believe it wouldn't start at all?

I'm so lost any ideas?
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 8 2018 09:51pm

Can you post a pic of the PC with the left side panel removed, preferably with good lighting?
Feb 8 2018 09:54pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 10:51pm)
Can you post a pic of the PC with the left side panel removed, preferably with good lighting?

That I can do.

This post was edited by Branded on Feb 8 2018 10:02pm
Feb 8 2018 10:01pm
Also..

What version of Windows?
What is exact make and model of power supply?

Sorry, I meant a pic like this...

/e Well it looks like the 4 pin CPU connector is in, as well as the 24 pin. I'm assuming the case panel wires are all correct.
When you talk about the LEDs... are the both on the vid card?

This post was edited by Ghot on Feb 8 2018 10:06pm
Feb 8 2018 10:03pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 11:01pm)
Also..

What version of Windows?

Windows 10.

and it's an EVGA 600W idk the exact like serial number or anything off hand. it's not fully modular. It's one of the cheaper end ones.
Feb 8 2018 10:04pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 11:01pm)
Also..

What version of Windows?

Sorry, I meant a pic like this...

http://i.imgur.com/1wBLymC.jpg

Quote (Branded @ Feb 8 2018 11:03pm)
Windows 10.

and it's an EVGA 600W idk the exact like serial number or anything off hand. it's not fully modular. It's one of the cheaper end ones.

And I can't take a pic like that the metal casing on my CPU shines very bright and it just reflect all the lighting otherwise..
Feb 8 2018 10:10pm
Did you make any software changes at all?

If you're not overclocked (which you probably shouldn't be on that mobo), you might want to try resetting the BIOS to defaults.
Double check that the cables that are modular are firmly seated on the power supply end as well.

Did you change ANY other hardware but the case?
Are the drives hooked up on the motherboard, exactly where they were before?
Did you remove the CPU cooler when you did this case change?
Is the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard, and not just ANY fan header?
Did you use the I/O backplate that came with the motherboard?

This post was edited by Ghot on Feb 8 2018 10:12pm
Feb 8 2018 10:13pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 11:10pm)
Did you make any software changes at all?

If you're not overclocked (which you probably shouldn't be on that mobo), you might want to try resetting the BIOS to defaults.
Double check that the cables that are modular are firmly seated on the power supply end as well.

Did you change ANY other hardware but the case?
Are the drives hooked up on the motherboard, exactly where they were before?
Did you remove the CPU cooler when you did this case change?

I didn't make any hardware changes. I didn't take pics of where everything was plugged in prior to the change.. so I'm not sure.

And the power supply can't be seated into the PSU it's a semi modular so everything just comes right on out lol.

And I started to loosen the CPU cooler then stopped and screwed it back in. I only loosened one screw and didn't even start pulling it I was like nah I'm leaving it alone so.

And nothing is overclocked.

The only thing I have left that isn't plugged into something.

This post was edited by Branded on Feb 8 2018 10:18pm
Feb 8 2018 10:31pm
I would reset the BIOS to defaults. If you didn't plug all the drives back into the exact same connectors on the motherboard, you might be confusing the BIOS and/or Windows.

You're supposed to use the I/O backplate that comes with the motherboard and not the one that comes with the case. That's the 11.5" by 5-6" metal piece where everything hooks to the back of the comp.

There's no way to tell for sure, but you may have broken the thermal paste seal of the CPU heatsink and the CPU.

The fan on the CPU cooler must be plugged into the white (in your case) CPUFAN header on the motherboard.

Semi modular power supplies have some cables permanently attached to the power supply and some that are removable. In non-modular power supplies they are all permanently attached.

You must have all the motherboard screws in place, no more, no less.

I would reset the BIOS first. Circled in RED are the pins to Clear the BIOS (reset it). Short the two pins together with the power off, with the power supply plugged in but the switch on the back of the PSU turned OFF.
Short the pins together with a screw driver for about 30 seconds. Then remove the screw driver, turn the power supply switch (on the back of the PSU) back on, then boot the computer.

Are those unknown cables, hooked to the power supply or the case? They probably aren't important right now.
/e The only thing I can think that those two unknown cables may be for is for a floppy drive?? As far as I can see you have everything hooked up properly.

Let me know when you have reset (cleared) the BIOS and if that improved the boot time.

This post was edited by Ghot on Feb 8 2018 10:50pm
Feb 8 2018 10:59pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 11:31pm)
I would reset the BIOS to defaults. If you didn't plug all the drives back into the exact same connectors on the motherboard, you might be confusing the BIOS and/or Windows.

You're supposed to use the I/O backplate that comes with the motherboard and not the one that comes with the case. That's the 11.5" by 5-6" metal piece where everything hooks to the back of the comp.

There's no way to tell for sure, but you may have broken the thermal paste seal of the CPU heatsink and the CPU.

The fan on the CPU cooler must be plugged into the white (in your case) CPUFAN header on the motherboard.

Semi modular power supplies have some cables permanently attached to the power supply and some that are removable. In non-modular power supplies they are all permanently attached.

You must have all the motherboard screws in place, no more, no less.

https://i.imgur.com/Wmyx0gG.png

I would reset the BIOS first. Circled in RED are the pins to Clear the BIOS (reset it). Short the two pins together with the power off, with the power supply plugged in but the switch on the back of the PSU turned OFF.
Short the pins together with a screw driver for about 30 seconds. Then remove the screw driver, turn the power supply switch (on the back of the PSU) back on, then boot the computer.

Are those unknown cables, hooked to the power supply or the case? They probably aren't important right now.
/e The only thing I can think that those two unknown cables may be for is for a floppy drive?? As far as I can see you have everything hooked up properly.

Let me know when you have reset (cleared) the BIOS and if that improved the boot time.

So I unmounted the motherboard used every screw slot available and then did the reset via the pins for 30 seconds and nothing the red led indicators above the PCIE plugins on my GPU still takes ages to come on but the Radeon will still glow. The PC won’t boot up till those gpu usage indicators by the PCIE come on. Idk what else to do.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll