d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Shepherd's Pie > A Meat Pie By Gordon Ramsay
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.66
Jan 30 2018 12:45pm

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:

Olive Oil (2 Tbsp)
Ground Lamb or Beef (about 1.5 lbs)
1 Large Carrot (grated)
1 Large Onion (grated)
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Thyme
Minced Garlic (I used 4 cloves)
Salt
Pepper
Worcestershire Sauce (several splashes)
Tomato Puree or Paste (no more than a small can)
Red Wine (several glugs)
Chicken Stock (about 1/4 cup)

The Mash:

Golden Potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
Heavy Cream ( 1/4 cup)
Butter (3 1/2 Tbsp)
Salt
Pepper
Egg Yolks (2)
Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup, minimum)

Prep Work:

Dice the garlic
Separate your herbs from the stems
Separate your Egg Yolks
Peel and Slice your potatoes into even pieces
Open your wine if it’s not already
Open your can of Tomato Paste

Cooking the Potatoes:

This part is easy as pie (no pun intended), just boil some water, throw some salt and your potatoes in, and set a timer for 15 minutes – start on your filling. Upon the timer going off, take your potatoes out and strain the water off. Put potatoes back into the pan, or into a medium mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with their ingredients from above and keep warm (your filling should be about done by this point)

Cooking the Filling:

Pour Olive Oil into a hot, rather large pan, then add meat. Stir meat as if your life depends on it for a few minutes so it’s nice and brown, and broken into very small pieces. Add your Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic, then stir some more. Quickly add your Carrot, and Onion, stir a little longer. The idea at this point is to get everything to a minced consistency.

Add Worcestershire Sauce, stir, add Tomato Puree, stir, add Red Wine and sweat down for a minute or two. Add chicken stock and cook for 3 more minutes.

Final Instructions:

Scoop your meat mixture into a deep casserole or other oven safe dish and then spoon the mash over the top. Spread the mash over the top of the mix with the bottom of the spoon and then sprinkle a generous portion of Parmesan cheese over the top. Poke the top with a fork several times to give it a peaked look and stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes to brown the potatoes and set the pie.

If you observe the video carefully, you see him put the tomato paste in the center of the pan. He does this to get rid of that sour taste.

Do not skimp on the parmesan cheese. It adds great flavor.

Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 1 2018 08:58am
Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ Jan 30 2018 12:45pm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GNznvIN1E

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:

Olive Oil (2 Tbsp)
Ground Lamb or Beef (about 1.5 lbs)
1 Large Carrot (grated)
1 Large Onion (grated)
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Thyme
Minced Garlic (I used 4 cloves)
Salt
Pepper
Worcestershire Sauce (several splashes)
Tomato Puree or Paste (no more than a small can)
Red Wine (several glugs)
Chicken Stock (about 1/4 cup)

The Mash:

Golden Potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
Heavy Cream ( 1/4 cup)
Butter (3 1/2 Tbsp)
Salt
Pepper
Egg Yolks (2)
Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup, minimum)

Prep Work:

Dice the garlic
Separate your herbs from the stems
Separate your Egg Yolks
Peel and Slice your potatoes into even pieces
Open your wine if it’s not already
Open your can of Tomato Paste

Cooking the Potatoes:

This part is easy as pie (no pun intended), just boil some water, throw some salt and your potatoes in, and set a timer for 15 minutes – start on your filling. Upon the timer going off, take your potatoes out and strain the water off. Put potatoes back into the pan, or into a medium mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with their ingredients from above and keep warm (your filling should be about done by this point)

Cooking the Filling:

Pour Olive Oil into a hot, rather large pan, then add meat. Stir meat as if your life depends on it for a few minutes so it’s nice and brown, and broken into very small pieces. Add your Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic, then stir some more. Quickly add your Carrot, and Onion, stir a little longer. The idea at this point is to get everything to a minced consistency.

Add Worcestershire Sauce, stir, add Tomato Puree, stir, add Red Wine and sweat down for a minute or two. Add chicken stock and cook for 3 more minutes.

Final Instructions:

Scoop your meat mixture into a deep casserole or other oven safe dish and then spoon the mash over the top. Spread the mash over the top of the mix with the bottom of the spoon and then sprinkle a generous portion of Parmesan cheese over the top. Poke the top with a fork several times to give it a peaked look and stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes to brown the potatoes and set the pie.

If you observe the video carefully, you see him put the tomato paste in the center of the pan. He does this to get rid of that sour taste.

Do not skimp on the parmesan cheese. It adds great flavor.

Lol, the YouTube comments.

I make shepherd's pie every few weeks, and it is more simple than this.

Ground beef, mixed veggies, a roux with SPG and mashed potatoes.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 1 2018 08:48pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 1 2018 02:58pm)
Lol, the YouTube comments.

I make shepherd's pie every few weeks, and it is more simple than this.

Ground beef, mixed veggies, a roux with SPG and mashed potatoes.

That's a cow pie, not Shepard's pie.
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 4 2018 06:46am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Feb 1 2018 08:48pm)
That's a cow pie, not Shepard's pie.

Lol, fair enough.
Gold: 1,495.80
Feb 4 2018 10:00pm
Looks delicious now I’m hungry :drool:
Gold: 835.00
Feb 7 2018 10:02pm
Thank you for the recipe, I still enjoy my wifes homemade cooking :)
Gold: 1,168.00
Feb 13 2018 04:19am
ive made this before... massive heartburn. not sure where i went wrong, otherwise it was nice. i dig gordon's recipes. his scrambled egg video is the TRUTH. you will realize that youve been eating shit scrambled eggs your whole life.
Gold: 2.66
Feb 13 2018 06:09pm
Quote (PopLockin @ Feb 13 2018 05:19am)
ive made this before... massive heartburn. not sure where i went wrong, otherwise it was nice. i dig gordon's recipes. his scrambled egg video is the TRUTH. you will realize that youve been eating shit scrambled eggs your whole life.

I concur. That scrambled eggs recipe is the real thing. But I didn't try it with the french cream and chives.
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 22 2018 02:39pm
Delicious recipe.
Gold: 4,652.00
May 17 2018 01:56am
Looks pretty good
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll