d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Good War Movies? > Yeah
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,355.04
Jan 23 2018 06:05pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jan 23 2018 01:48am)
Because it's not a good movie? I like it, but it's a bad movie lol.

:blink:
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 23 2018 06:27pm
Quote (Flameyes @ Jan 23 2018 04:05pm)
:blink:

When was the last time you watched it? If you're confused about me liking it, even though I say it's bad, I'm not sure you know much about movies. Loads of movies are awful, yet enjoyable to people depending on their taste. My thing is awful action movies, I eat them up, even if they're fucking terrible. Last Boy Scout, the Patriot, Roadhouse, Con Air, Congo, Bad Boys etc... the list goes on and on. If it's got over the top action/violence and laughably bad acting, directing, writing or w/e, I may love it depending on the movie. Big Trouble in Little China is one of my ultimate awful/good movies.

Some people have a weakness for anything Scifi, some people romance, some people comedy, it's just personal preference, but if you've seen a lot of movies, and you've become overly cynical and a bit of a critic like a lot of us here have, it's easy to recognize the difference between something that's legitimately "good", and something that's bad that you liked, because there's a VERY big difference.

For war movies I'd go with what most people have already said.

Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Apocalypse Now - Probably my #1 war movie
Saving Private Ryan
Dunkirk
Inglorious Bastards
Schindler's List
Fury
and I know this isn't what people generally think about when we're talking about "war" these days, but Braveheart as well.
Gold: 8,355.04
Jan 30 2018 05:19pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jan 23 2018 08:27pm)
When was the last time you watched it? If you're confused about me liking it, even though I say it's bad, I'm not sure you know much about movies. Loads of movies are awful, yet enjoyable to people depending on their taste. My thing is awful action movies, I eat them up, even if they're fucking terrible. Last Boy Scout, the Patriot, Roadhouse, Con Air, Congo, Bad Boys etc... the list goes on and on. If it's got over the top action/violence and laughably bad acting, directing, writing or w/e, I may love it depending on the movie. Big Trouble in Little China is one of my ultimate awful/good movies.

Some people have a weakness for anything Scifi, some people romance, some people comedy, it's just personal preference, but if you've seen a lot of movies, and you've become overly cynical and a bit of a critic like a lot of us here have, it's easy to recognize the difference between something that's legitimately "good", and something that's bad that you liked, because there's a VERY big difference.

For war movies I'd go with what most people have already said.

Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Apocalypse Now - Probably my #1 war movie
Saving Private Ryan
Dunkirk
Inglorious Bastards
Schindler's List
Fury
and I know this isn't what people generally think about when we're talking about "war" these days, but Braveheart as well.

The entire point of a movie is to entertain people

If you liked it, it did its job

∴ It's a 'good' movie
Gold: 63,142.89
Jan 30 2018 06:11pm
Quote (Flameyes @ Jan 30 2018 07:19pm)

∴ It's a 'good' movie

How semantic do you want to get here?

Ultimately, the 'entire point' of most movies is to maximize profit. Entertaining people is just one possible means to that end.

But if we agree to put hyperbole aside and just ask the question from a practical standpoint, then how "good" a movie is can most fairly be measured relative to other movies.

IMO, The Patriot was just made in response to Braveheart peforming well. They figured, let's grab another revolution, plug Gibson into the same role and ride those coat tails. Therefore, it's fair to measure The Patriot against its predecessor. By that standard, The Patriot was a bad movie.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jan 30 2018 06:19pm
Gold: 39,837.69
Jan 30 2018 06:21pm
Why so much Patriot hate? I love that movie lol
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 31 2018 12:26pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jan 30 2018 04:11pm)

Ultimately, the 'entire point' of most movies is to maximize profit. Entertaining people is just one possible means to that end.

But if we agree to put hyperbole aside and just ask the question from a practical standpoint, then how "good" a movie is can most fairly be measured relative to other movies.

IMO, The Patriot was just made in response to Braveheart peforming well. They figured, let's grab another revolution, plug Gibson into the same role and ride those coat tails. Therefore, it's fair to measure The Patriot against its predecessor. By that standard, The Patriot was a bad movie.

At least some people get it.

It's painful the logic people use though. I liked it, therefore it's the best movie ever. Some movies are just objectively bad, even if you like them, or even if I like them, that doesn't make the bad acting, writing, story, EVERYTHING, somehow better lol. I'm a sucker for Gibson in action roles, but that doesn't mean they're always good movies.
Gold: 63,142.89
Feb 1 2018 08:25am
Underworld: Blood Wars
Gold: 0.00
Feb 2 2018 05:36am
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Jan 23 2018 03:06am)
It wouldn't even make my top 10 tbh bud.

There are quite a few top tier War movies like :

Saving Private Ryan
Dunkirk
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
The Hurt Locker
Thin Red Line
Hacksaw Ridge

I'm sure I'm missing some but that's just off the top of my head.

This took three pages. I'm disappointed in you guys.

Quote (Flameyes @ Jan 31 2018 12:19am)

∴ It's a 'good' movie

Quote (Kayeto @ Jan 31 2018 01:11am)

It's not like cinema is art or anything.

This post was edited by BrendanSchaub on Feb 2 2018 05:39am
Gold: 0.70
Warn: 50%
Feb 2 2018 09:45am
Quote (BrendanSchaub @ Feb 2 2018 07:36am)
This took three pages. I'm disappointed in you guys.

It's not like cinema is art or anything.

Their is an art in acting.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll