d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 5x5 Stronglifts Program
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.44
Jan 14 2018 11:18am
So I saw the app on someone's post and thought into it.

I've lifted for about a year, but am still pretty weak and not seeing a ton of improvement strength wise as I'd like to see.

(I'm going for mostly hypertrophy, but strength gains would always be nice too)

I'm ~165 lbs

Don't really know my maxes (other than bench which was a while back) - all of which are weak

Squat: 225 5 sets of 5
Deadlift: 225 5 sets of 3-5
Bench: ~135 5x5 (i think i've gotten weaker) --> tho i did switch to 3x8 instead for this so not hitting 155 anymore possibly due to that
I've maxed 175 on bench for 1 rep once a long time ago I think with much struggle.

Side note to the deadlift: I used to just lift a lot lighter like 185 just b/c was better form I think until someone told me I could lift more and to try it w/ his belt. So I ended up deadlifting 225 with belt. Next 2 sets did the same thing without a belt. But that could mean either my form was no good for the heavy weight, or I'm not pushing myself enough in the gym (which could be the case i need more intensity)

I do try to improve my form obv cause nn to lift heavy weights improperly, (while bench form I always feel like is shit for some reason) so that could also be part of the reason as well that the numbers aren't going up a ton.

Anyways, this program is only 3x a week as opposed to the 6x a week push/pull/leg routine I only recently switched to. Seems like I'd be doing a lot less, but it tells me how much to bump the weights, etc.
Is it worth switching to? Or should i just try to up the intensity in my current workout.
I think I just switch what I'm doing too much. I like to lift heavy, but goal is hypertrophy, so I'll sometimes just do more reps and less weight. Maybe incorporate A and B day into my existing workouts where one day is heavy one day volume?

Any advice is appreciated.
Gold: 2,407.00
Jan 16 2018 07:01am
I'm assuming you are talking about my post. I'm just going to say that overall I was not thrilled with the program. Even with starting small, doing three heavy compound lifts a day is just terrible. I probably could have tried harder and had a better diet, so maybe it's my fault. But I know a lot of people recommended some other routines so i might look into those.
Jan 16 2018 08:54pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Jan 16 2018 08:01am)
I'm assuming you are talking about my post. I'm just going to say that overall I was not thrilled with the program. Even with starting small, doing three heavy compound lifts a day is just terrible. I probably could have tried harder and had a better diet, so maybe it's my fault. But I know a lot of people recommended some other routines so i might look into those.

I don't remember if it was you or not.
I personally tried deadlifting the same day i squatted once and was rough, but iirc you haven't been on it that long so not entirely sure
The hell with it i may just have to keep my current and try to focus on increasing the weight which doesn't seem to be happening.
i think it's because i tried to go big all of a sudden and form suffered so don't want to add more weight to not perfect form
Gold: 2,407.00
Jan 18 2018 06:12am
Quote (Rebuy @ Jan 16 2018 09:54pm)
I don't remember if it was you or not.
I personally tried deadlifting the same day i squatted once and was rough, but iirc you haven't been on it that long so not entirely sure
The hell with it i may just have to keep my current and try to focus on increasing the weight which doesn't seem to be happening.
i think it's because i tried to go big all of a sudden and form suffered so don't want to add more weight to not perfect form

Also, the way I see it, you'll never really know the pros and cons of a program until you try it yourself. Taking 3 months off your current program to try a new one isn't going to matter in the long run. If your curious about stronglifts then give it a shot. You don't have anything to lose.
Jan 18 2018 04:44pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Jan 18 2018 07:12am)
Also, the way I see it, you'll never really know the pros and cons of a program until you try it yourself. Taking 3 months off your current program to try a new one isn't going to matter in the long run. If your curious about stronglifts then give it a shot. You don't have anything to lose.

Yeah true. I only recently switched to push/pull/legs from bro split tho so may stick with it. I just think im lacking intensity which stronglift tells you how much
but i may give it a shot at some point
Gold: 770.00
Jan 19 2018 03:37am
Stronglifts is fake news
Gold: 56.00
Jan 19 2018 04:29pm
Instead of strong lifts do starting strength. Almost same program but 3x5 instead of 5x5 and better if you're bulking up
Jan 19 2018 05:19pm
Quote (turtol @ Jan 19 2018 05:29pm)
Instead of strong lifts do starting strength. Almost same program but 3x5 instead of 5x5 and better if you're bulking up

Is this for absolute beginners or what? And is there an app to go with it? Why 3 sets vs 5? Just because higher weights?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll