d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Sprained Ankle > Question
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.46
Jan 5 2018 05:19pm
Quote (cloudkicker @ Jan 5 2018 11:44am)
to be honest you could still easily have a fracture, you arent a doctor yourself and you dont know what criteria warrant investigation. frankly just based on the bruising i would get a doctors evaluation to see if you need an xray, cause you could have a broken fibula and the longer you let an injury like that go without proper setting and immobilization, the more irregular the healing will be.

pain is not an indicator of whether something is healed or not. pain goes to baseline WAY before full tissue healing is completed. the biggest mechanism for reinjury in athletes is by far when individuals return to full activity as soon as pain is gone, ie. before theyre completely healed.

Pain is also an indicator that inflammation has still an onset and therefore you shouldn't try to work it. I did not said that he should workout right away. I said that he should wait before trying to do reinforcement while the Pain is still there.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 5 2018 05:50pm
Quote (Betrayed @ Jan 5 2018 03:19pm)
Pain is also an indicator that inflammation has still an onset and therefore you shouldn't try to work it. I did not said that he should workout right away. I said that he should wait before trying to do reinforcement while the Pain is still there.

ive just been doing hot cold therapy , then some simple movements for the ankle, again with no pain. there is a big misconception on ankle sprain rehab. One being that you want to keep it immobilized after a couple of days (im talking grade 1-2 not 3 or fractures) but on the contrary you want to start having some movement as soon as there isnt disabling pain simply because you dont want the ankle to become stiff and lack mobility. also icing, is there actually any scientific studies or back up that it actually helps healing ? cause from what ive been reading it actually slows down healing in the long run, hot and cold or hot works a lot better to get the blood moving and circulated.
Jan 7 2018 08:42pm
Quote (T9000 @ Jan 5 2018 07:50pm)
ive just been doing hot cold therapy , then some simple movements for the ankle, again with no pain. there is a big misconception on ankle sprain rehab. One being that you want to keep it immobilized after a couple of days (im talking grade 1-2 not 3 or fractures) but on the contrary you want to start having some movement as soon as there isnt disabling pain simply because you dont want the ankle to become stiff and lack mobility. also icing, is there actually any scientific studies or back up that it actually helps healing ? cause from what ive been reading it actually slows down healing in the long run, hot and cold or hot works a lot better to get the blood moving and circulated.

Ice helps on the short term (around 48h) from the onset of the inflammation if you do not re-irritate it. You shouldn't keep ice more than 20min, and for an ankle id say 15min max at the time. Hot works well post 48h so ya you can do hot n cold in alternance. And you're right about the mobilization. You want to conserve it's mobility by doing some light movements in every direction without pushing it through the pain
Gold: 4,786.00
Jan 8 2018 11:38am
Quote (Betrayed @ Jan 7 2018 10:42pm)
Ice helps on the short term (around 48h) from the onset of the inflammation if you do not re-irritate it. You shouldn't keep ice more than 20min, and for an ankle id say 15min max at the time. Hot works well post 48h so ya you can do hot n cold in alternance. And you're right about the mobilization. You want to conserve it's mobility by doing some light movements in every direction without pushing it through the pain

Recent studies have shown ice to be bad at any point during recovery process
Jan 8 2018 11:57am
Quote (harumi @ Jan 8 2018 01:38pm)

I haven't read studies on em since last year. Might have changed. Ill go check today or tomorrow and come back on the subject. Thanks alot for pointing it out, always trying to keep up with the recent results
Gold: 5,029.00
Jan 10 2018 10:47pm
Quote (harumi @ Jan 8 2018 01:38pm)

Saw this too. Last July or so if I remember correctly.
Gold: 364.69
Warn: 30%
Jan 15 2018 01:35pm
It's obvious that ice isn't good. Fundamentally, inflammation is your body healing and ice slows down that process.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 15 2018 01:42pm
Quote (powwpoww @ Jan 15 2018 07:35pm)
It's obvious that ice isn't good. Fundamentally, inflammation is your body healing and ice slows down that process.

What in the actual fuck?

I seriously hope you’re trolling
Gold: 11.58
Jan 16 2018 08:56am
Quote (powwpoww @ Jan 15 2018 03:35pm)

inflammation induces edema and edema puts pressure on lymphatic and venous drainage of injury/infection sites. ice is only in initial phases (first day or two) to prevent massive edematous response, heat after to promote flow of drainage vessels.

dont read a single news article (not scientific at all) and just assume you know everything about a topic
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll