d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Colonization Of Mars > Pls Explain Something To Me
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,916.00
Warn: 30%
Dec 19 2017 04:50am
why is everyone hyped about that guy elon musk and his idea to colonize mars :unsure: ? mars doesnt have a magnetic field, wouldnt everyone just die without its protection :unsure: ?
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 19 2017 03:57pm
people don't die on the international space station, do they?
Dec 19 2017 04:06pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 19 2017 11:57pm)
people don't die on the international space station, do they?

they dont, but they have...you know, earth? :blush:
Dec 19 2017 04:39pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Dec 19 2017 04:06pm)
they dont, but they have...you know, earth? :blush:

No one has ever died ON the space station, one crew died leaving in a tragic accident, and of course many have died after returning of causes not related to the space station.
Dec 19 2017 04:42pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2017 12:39am)
No one has ever died ON the space station, one crew died leaving in a tragic accident, and of course many have died after returning of causes not related to the space station.

no i meant the space stations have the earths magnetic field, mars doesnt :wacko:
Dec 19 2017 04:59pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Dec 19 2017 04:42pm)
no i meant the space stations have the earths magnetic field, mars doesnt :wacko:

that's both true and untrue:

All this really means that the ISS is in a much safer region of space than it could be - not that it’s totally safe. Our magnetic field is not a perfect blocker of high energy particles, and so things like gamma rays, cosmic rays, and other damaging radiation can still appear in higher quantities than they would if the astronauts were still safely on the ground. Our atmosphere is pretty good at blocking a lot of these high energy particles, so on the ground you’d never get exposed to them. But the ISS is above the atmosphere, and doesn’t have this extra layer of shielding, so there are radiation monitors on the space station to keep track of how much of a radiation dose they’re getting. If a solar flare is on its way, the astronauts usually have a few days’ warning, and can take shelter in more strongly shielded section of the ISS if they need to. (Not all solar storm are aimed in their direction, and not all storms are strong enough to require this precaution.)

some tl;dr points:

-the ISS is in the magnetosphere but not the atmosphere, and is thus subject to much more radiation than ground level at times
-the ISS has parts of it built to protect from radiation in solar flares

of course the same can be done on mars, the ISS isn't exactly future tech

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 19 2017 04:59pm
Dec 19 2017 05:03pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2017 12:59am)
that's both true and untrue:

some tl;dr points:

-the ISS is in the magnetosphere but not the atmosphere, and is thus subject to much more radiation than ground level at times
-the ISS has parts of it built to protect from radiation in solar flares

of course the same can be done on mars, the ISS isn't exactly future tech

oooh okay :blush: !

but i wasnt much scared about sun flares, but cosmic radiation :cry: ! i mean, i cant really see a piece of metal shielding vs that :unsure:
Dec 19 2017 05:06pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Dec 19 2017 05:03pm)
oooh okay :blush: !

but i wasnt much scared about sun flares, but cosmic radiation :cry: ! i mean, i cant really see a piece of metal shielding vs that :unsure:

those two things are one thing.

now to really blow your mind, the earth has a magnetic field protecting it. what if each house on mars has a localized magnetic field to protect it?
Dec 19 2017 05:14pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 20 2017 01:06am)
those two things are one thing.

now to really blow your mind, the earth has a magnetic field protecting it. what if each house on mars has a localized magnetic field to protect it?

i have a feeling you dont like me very much :unsure: ! but no, those arent the same <_< i asked a serious question, you cant just do basic googling and act condescending since you know even less than i do about the topic <_<

so i would like an answer, no theories and whatifs :blush: question was: how do you shield against background cosmic radiation on a planet with no magnetic field?
Dec 19 2017 05:23pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Dec 19 2017 05:14pm)
i have a feeling you dont like me very much :unsure: ! but no, those arent the same <_< i asked a serious question, you cant just do basic googling and act condescending since you know even less than i do about the topic <_<

so i would like an answer, no theories and whatifs :blush: question was: how do you shield against background cosmic radiation on a planet with no magnetic field?

the things aren't the same, their problematic effect is the same. Increased cosmic radiation is cause by solar flares. the ISS isn't normally in a problematic range of cosmic radiation, because of the magnetic field, EXCEPT during solar flares, when far more radiation is present and they must seek shelter.

these solar flares should be seen as the "worst case" scenario for inter-solar system radiation. In otherwords, any design to withstand cosmic radiation can't be built to withstand normal radiation, it must be built to withstand the radiation present during a solar flare. so in closing, they aren't the same, but from a design standpoint they are the same. if that makes sense.

As to the radiation from outside of the solar system from elsewhere in the Milky way and beyond, NASA has been working on that for a long time. they have had spacecraft measuring outer-solar system radiation for years to help design the eventual mars colonies. Here is an article designed to answer your specific question:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/real-martians-how-to-protect-astronauts-from-space-radiation-on-mars

but off topic:

1. no i dont dislike you, i think ive talked to you once
2. if you knew more than me you wouldnt be asking this question
3. thats fine, and doesnt change my opinion of you
4. ask questions if you have them and maybe i can help

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 19 2017 05:24pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll