d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Unity Game Programming > Game Dev
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 930,081.00
Dec 16 2017 05:40am
Hello everybody, i have been working with unity for the past few months and Ill be sharing the things I have learnt and the projects that I work on as I go along on my youtube channel.
If anyone is interested in following along on my journey or just interested in game development etc, have a look and let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz15Ji3WeCh4aswP6BW3_yw
Gold: 1,939.50
Dec 16 2017 03:33pm
Thanks for making the tutorials. I've just viewed the first so far.

I would suggest putting your code up onto github. That way people would be able to see the finished code and if you structured the commits and/or branches properly you could have snapshots in time of just the code necessary for each video/tutorial.
Dec 25 2017 09:13am
Quote (waraholic @ Dec 17 2017 02:33am)
Thanks for making the tutorials. I've just viewed the first so far.

I would suggest putting your code up onto github. That way people would be able to see the finished code and if you structured the commits and/or branches properly you could have snapshots in time of just the code necessary for each video/tutorial.

Thanks for the response. And To be very honest, all those things are on my mind but in between learning on my own, and my day job, and making the videos and real life I really dont get much time to do this stuff. I know it sounds like, oh its just one click etc here and there but it adds up. And In the past I would always end up not making videos etc overwhelm myself and start feeling demotivated. So that, and so many more things I know I need to do but Im not thinking about it so much and just trying to be honest with my videos and content at the moment.

Hopefully I can get around to be a lot more professional, if I can at least first just get in a habit of doing this regularly at least a few videos every week etc.
Gold: 1,939.50
Dec 25 2017 10:18pm
Quote (mandarkkk @ Dec 25 2017 10:13am)
Thanks for the response. And To be very honest, all those things are on my mind but in between learning on my own, and my day job, and making the videos and real life I really dont get much time to do this stuff. I know it sounds like, oh its just one click etc here and there but it adds up. And In the past I would always end up not making videos etc overwhelm myself and start feeling demotivated. So that, and so many more things I know I need to do but Im not thinking about it so much and just trying to be honest with my videos and content at the moment.

Hopefully I can get around to be a lot more professional, if I can at least first just get in a habit of doing this regularly at least a few videos every week etc.

Oh I get it. Getting all of your code right and committing it at each stage can be very time consuming. If you get to it you get to it and if not then you don't. No worries. Merry Christmas.
Dec 27 2017 09:17am
Quote (waraholic @ Dec 26 2017 09:18am)
Oh I get it. Getting all of your code right and committing it at each stage can be very time consuming. If you get to it you get to it and if not then you don't. No worries. Merry Christmas.

Much appreciated! Thanks and to you also!
Jan 1 2018 08:27am
I recently released my second complete game on the app store.
Its a simple one touch/tap mechanic game. In between these two projects I have learnt a lot and I think I have improved a lot too!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lava-temple/id1329474553?ls=1&mt=8

This is the link to the app, feed back is welcome if anyone decides to try! Its not perfect, but Im really proud of it and I know Im improving!
Should run fine on most devices, but if youre using some extremely old os then it wont work so well.
Gold: 82,143.75
Jan 1 2018 03:59pm
Props man, subscribed!

Content is actually very very good, par with most top unity guides available online (udemy and youtube ones).
You do have a lot of knowledge and you clearly know what you are doing.

Constructive criticism (all in my humble opinion):
Presentation is somewhat bad, videos could be a bit shorter (split the same videos in 8-15 minutes parts) as 20m+ feels a chore, mic quality could use some improvement, some minor parts are very confusing and some are over-explained without need.

If you do intend to invest more time in your channel, I suggest you take a look at video edition in order to learn some better presentation.
When I see your videos I feel: "Holly fuck, this guy and his projects are actually very good. However, he doesn't bring them all at the same level that his skills are at - it's a bit confusing".

Best wishes and good luck in your journey.

This post was edited by jacob1818 on Jan 1 2018 04:00pm
Jan 2 2018 07:21am
Quote (jacob1818 @ Jan 2 2018 02:59am)
Props man, subscribed!

Content is actually very very good, par with most top unity guides available online (udemy and youtube ones).
You do have a lot of knowledge and you clearly know what you are doing.

Constructive criticism (all in my humble opinion):
Presentation is somewhat bad, videos could be a bit shorter (split the same videos in 8-15 minutes parts) as 20m+ feels a chore, mic quality could use some improvement, some minor parts are very confusing and some are over-explained without need.

If you do intend to invest more time in your channel, I suggest you take a look at video edition in order to learn some better presentation.
When I see your videos I feel: "Holly fuck, this guy and his projects are actually very good. However, he doesn't bring them all at the same level that his skills are at - it's a bit confusing".

Best wishes and good luck in your journey.

Thanks a lot for the feed back and man, I 110% agree with you. In fact you hit the nail so perfectly on the head.

The video length definitely can be shorter and thats something I need to work on because since I also learn from youtube I know that feeling of finishing a video and then the next one plays and it like 25+ minutes, I personally usually end up taking a break and who knows if I come back.
There are some issues I am struggling with and I hope ill get better as I progress but most videos that are 20+ can be half the size if i skimp on the explanations and I just hate that. In real life (Im not trying to brag) but I would be the teacher in my friends circle mainly because
people told me I knew how to teach. So as a teacher I feel like its my responsibility to absolutely drill in the concept so the beginner person can think on his own next time. In doing so sometimes I go overboard (You'll notice Ill repeat something three times but EACH time ill state
it in a different manner or explain from a different direction using an analogy and such, just to make sure everyone is on board ).

Simply taking that 25 minute video and cutting it into 3 pieces also cant be the right solution. I guess the best way is for me to deal with EVEN smaller chunks of concepts which I can explain in 8-10 minutes without having to skimp on the explanation. I love when people like/sub etc but
to be very honest If my explanations can actually inspire even a single person then thats the most important thing for me. I am still learning and I have been lucky to have some phenomenal role models in real life and also through youtube etc who have helped me learn (I have a LONG way to go).
I really want to be that sort of a person for others you know?

The mic quality/video editing points you mentioned are also absolutely spot on. But I talked about this in one of my videos and the issue is in the past I would think about these things SO much that I would just give up without producing any content. I.e I really can and wish to be like the popular youtubers in the same niche
but I just dont have the time or resources at this time to put in fancy intros/outros, edit my videos. I 100% understand the importance of presentation, I am a game developer after all but I realize the others are often outsourcing etc such things. I could learn to use video editing softwares etc
but I already have so many things to learn with respect to game development that when I start learning this stuff, I feel like what am I doing? I guess this isnt the right attitude but Im always in between day jobs/school etc and I dont get enough time to work on my projects the way I want already.
Obviously your concerns are very real and I owe it the viewers and also if I want to build a bigger audience then all that stuff will go a long way. However, I see a LOT of other people who are doing all this stuff but the real content isnt up to par and I hate that. When I see they are reaching out to 1000s of people
with misinformation on purpose when even I can see that the stuff they are teaching isnt right. I really dont want to be like that but the greed of having more subs/likes/etc is very real for any content creator and I feel it too. For the time, my number one priority HAS to be quality and honesty. And hopefully
as I get better and more used to the motions of creating videos, as is the case with anything in life, hopefully Ill get quicker at it too and maybe I can spend more time on presentation without sacrificing quality.

Buying a new mic is ofcourse number 1 on my list and thats something I can get cheaply so ill be doing that for sure.

Sorry for the long message but thanks SO much for voicing these concerns. It reaffirms my thoughts and its great to hear this from someone else because it tells me that this is a real concern.
For the time being, I cant promise any breaking changes but Ill try to take small steps towards that final goal especially regarding video length.

This post was edited by mandarkkk on Jan 2 2018 07:26am
Gold: 82,143.75
Jan 2 2018 07:02pm
Quote (mandarkkk @ 2 Jan 2018 10:21)
Thanks a lot for the feed back and man, I 110% agree with you. In fact you hit the nail so perfectly on the head.

The video length definitely can be shorter and thats something I need to work on because since I also learn from youtube I know that feeling of finishing a video and then the next one plays and it like 25+ minutes, I personally usually end up taking a break and who knows if I come back.
There are some issues I am struggling with and I hope ill get better as I progress but most videos that are 20+ can be half the size if i skimp on the explanations and I just hate that. In real life (Im not trying to brag) but I would be the teacher in my friends circle mainly because
people told me I knew how to teach. So as a teacher I feel like its my responsibility to absolutely drill in the concept so the beginner person can think on his own next time. In doing so sometimes I go overboard (You'll notice Ill repeat something three times but EACH time ill state
it in a different manner or explain from a different direction using an analogy and such, just to make sure everyone is on board ).

Simply taking that 25 minute video and cutting it into 3 pieces also cant be the right solution. I guess the best way is for me to deal with EVEN smaller chunks of concepts which I can explain in 8-10 minutes without having to skimp on the explanation. I love when people like/sub etc but
to be very honest If my explanations can actually inspire even a single person then thats the most important thing for me. I am still learning and I have been lucky to have some phenomenal role models in real life and also through youtube etc who have helped me learn (I have a LONG way to go).
I really want to be that sort of a person for others you know?

The mic quality/video editing points you mentioned are also absolutely spot on. But I talked about this in one of my videos and the issue is in the past I would think about these things SO much that I would just give up without producing any content. I.e I really can and wish to be like the popular youtubers in the same niche
but I just dont have the time or resources at this time to put in fancy intros/outros, edit my videos. I 100% understand the importance of presentation, I am a game developer after all but I realize the others are often outsourcing etc such things. I could learn to use video editing softwares etc
but I already have so many things to learn with respect to game development that when I start learning this stuff, I feel like what am I doing? I guess this isnt the right attitude but Im always in between day jobs/school etc and I dont get enough time to work on my projects the way I want already.
Obviously your concerns are very real and I owe it the viewers and also if I want to build a bigger audience then all that stuff will go a long way. However, I see a LOT of other people who are doing all this stuff but the real content isnt up to par and I hate that. When I see they are reaching out to 1000s of people
with misinformation on purpose when even I can see that the stuff they are teaching isnt right. I really dont want to be like that but the greed of having more subs/likes/etc is very real for any content creator and I feel it too. For the time, my number one priority HAS to be quality and honesty. And hopefully
as I get better and more used to the motions of creating videos, as is the case with anything in life, hopefully Ill get quicker at it too and maybe I can spend more time on presentation without sacrificing quality.

Buying a new mic is ofcourse number 1 on my list and thats something I can get cheaply so ill be doing that for sure.

Sorry for the long message but thanks SO much for voicing these concerns. It reaffirms my thoughts and its great to hear this from someone else because it tells me that this is a real concern.
For the time being, I cant promise any breaking changes but Ill try to take small steps towards that final goal especially regarding video length.

It's cool man no need to apologize, I personally enjoy talking in English as it's my third language so it's great practice.
Think in this way: you already have the hardest part, that is knowledge.

"However, I see a LOT of other people who are doing all this stuff but the real content isnt up to par and I hate that. When I see they are reaching out to 1000s of people "

Sadly most of the stuff works that way these days, as you already know it.. semi-bad content with GREAT presentation sells. GREAT content with bad presentation doesn't.

You should check brackeys channel, you probably know it already.. he has outstanding knowledge and OK presentation, so it works out pretty well.

I live in Brazil, even I can get a good mic for cheap, so as you said you can work on one for pockets change wherever you live at.

It's all about compromise.. we all wish we had time to invest in what we like but it's not how it works :(

So as a teacher I feel like its my responsibility to absolutely drill in the concept so the beginner person can think on his own next time. In doing so sometimes I go overboard (You'll notice Ill repeat something three times but EACH time ill state

Agree 100%, thats a very good point, I did notice that in a couple videos I watched. Point is not everyone has infinite time and it's a very valuable resource, you can google for video metrics and check length vs attention drawing (retention) patterns which are quite impressive.

Best wishes and great luck to you, you're (in my humble opinion) in the right way. Just by making those you're practicing a lot, it's all about minor adjustment and investing some time into research (just watch popular people, copy what you like, and put it on your better content - it takes only a couple extra minutes to edit a video decently once you get the hang of it).
Jan 2 2018 07:34pm
Quote (jacob1818 @ Jan 3 2018 06:02am)
It's cool man no need to apologize, I personally enjoy talking in English as it's my third language so it's great practice.
Think in this way: you already have the hardest part, that is knowledge.

"However, I see a LOT of other people who are doing all this stuff but the real content isnt up to par and I hate that. When I see they are reaching out to 1000s of people "

Sadly most of the stuff works that way these days, as you already know it.. semi-bad content with GREAT presentation sells. GREAT content with bad presentation doesn't.

You should check brackeys channel, you probably know it already.. he has outstanding knowledge and OK presentation, so it works out pretty well.

I live in Brazil, even I can get a good mic for cheap, so as you said you can work on one for pockets change wherever you live at.

It's all about compromise.. we all wish we had time to invest in what we like but it's not how it works :(

So as a teacher I feel like its my responsibility to absolutely drill in the concept so the beginner person can think on his own next time. In doing so sometimes I go overboard (You'll notice Ill repeat something three times but EACH time ill state

Agree 100%, thats a very good point, I did notice that in a couple videos I watched. Point is not everyone has infinite time and it's a very valuable resource, you can google for video metrics and check length vs attention drawing (retention) patterns which are quite impressive.

Best wishes and great luck to you, you're (in my humble opinion) in the right way. Just by making those you're practicing a lot, it's all about minor adjustment and investing some time into research (just watch popular people, copy what you like, and put it on your better content - it takes only a couple extra minutes to edit a video decently once you get the hang of it).

Thanks a lot once again for the response!

Your points are all very valid and I will look into these and come back to them time and again to see if I am making progress in the right direction.

My plan will be to:

1 - continue to make youtube videos.
2 - make incremental changes towards that final more finished product. I might consider making one video instead of three, and dedicate the additional time to post processing that video.

Learning from Brackeys is a great suggestion. I have seen a lot of his videos, but I think its time I should revisit his videos and take notes on the post processing elements and such of his videos and try to do those in my own.

Your feedback has been invaluable, thanks and Ill see you around!
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll